Sponsored by:

Electric 4WD won't work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 06:19 PM
Evan III
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Electric 4WD won't work.

I've read back a ways and I've also looked through the FAQ, And I can't find any info. So here goes, Info: 1993 Bronco E.B. 302, auto tranny, push button 4WD, Manual hubs. The problem: It won't go into 4WD when the button is pushed. I've put 12v directly to the shift motor and the motor seems to be working in both directions, I've checked the switch in the dash and it appears to be working, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for there. Seems like it's working though when I put the meter on it. I'm thinking it may be the control module under the dash (glovebox). I'm not sure how the control mod. works but it seems thats where I'm losing power. Is there anyway to test the control mod? I noticed there is a white button on the side that looks like a reset or something, but it doesn't make a difference when I push it, it just makes a red LED go on for about 15 seconds. Any info would be great. Thanks for all the info you guys have givin me.

What componants are involved in the 4WD system? Is it just the Shift button, motor and the control mod? Or is there something else I'm missing?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:25 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
i know before it will allow the shift into 4x4 it checks that certain requirements are met (like speed under 55mph) but i doubt it's anything that complicated. most likely the electric motor is just too worn out to move the gears in the T case all the way. the motors are about $100.00.

Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 PM
Evan III
Freshman User
Is there anyway to check and see if the motor is weak? Before I buy a new one.

Old 08-23-2005, 02:04 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
you mgiht be able to put your ear to the tcase and have someone engage 4x4 so you can listen to see if the engine is able to move anything in there

Old 08-23-2005, 05:47 PM
ASoCalCowBoy
New User
I feel your pain... only worse

I have the same problem only in reverse... I'm stuck in 4-wheel... and my control modual does the same thing...

Hopefully it's something simple... I'm still looking for my shift motor... I'm ready to buy a new one, but have no clue how to remove the old one or test it...

Mike

Old 08-23-2005, 07:42 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
it's on the back of the tcase on the drivers side, about the size of a coke can. it has a wiring harness that plugs into it and i think 3 small bolt that hold it to the tcase , and i think that's it.

You can get the motors new on ebay

Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

My '94 original owner was a travelling sales lady. Bronco had 152K highway miles and I doubt if 4WD was used three times. When I got it it would not shift into 4WD. I pushed the button on and off about ten times then left it alone to let motor cool. Everytime I got in I would try it another 10-12 times. After about 6-8 sessions it started working fine. Now I try remember to shift in and out 2-3 times every month to keep it loose.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:05 PM
ASoCalCowBoy
New User
Question Thanks!!

Thanks guys... I found it... I was looking on the front... not the back!! LOL Umn... I bought this bronco from a customer (I work with computers), it had been sitting for about 6 months... He bought a new one, and just let this one sit... figured he would use it as a back up. His wife did not like that idea, so I bought it... Things are still a little rough, but I managed to get the radiator flushed, new hoses, and now looking to get some better tires... after I get out of 4-wheel... I am still finding wires under the hood that are not connected to anything... is that normal?

Mike

Old 08-23-2005, 09:30 PM
b4hntn
Posting Guru

ASoCalCowBoy, Loose wires under the hood sounds like lot's of fun. Look at it as a great opportunity. Disconnected wires build character. I glanced at my Haynes book and there are 20-40 electrical system pages in the back which may help you.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Evan III
Freshman User
I've found the motors on Bronco graveyard for $99, I think that is their normal price. And yes there are only three bolts that hold it to the transfer care, plus one on the bottom of the motor. It's very easy to remove.

Anyhow, so does it sound like my control mod could be bad? Is there anyway to test the control mod? I've tried several times pushing the buttom I've also removed the motor and worked it back and forth with direct 12v power.

Old 08-23-2005, 09:39 PM
Evan III
Freshman User
SoCalcowboy, If you remove the shift motor you will see a shaft sticking out of the transfer case, the shaft can be turned manually to put the transfer case in 2wd high. I don't know if it would be bad for anything, but it can be done. Also around the shaft on the transfer case it is marked 4 low on top, 2wd in the middle, and 4X4 on the bottom. turn the shaft tell it is pointing to the 2wd and you should be ok.

Anybody know of a problem with manually shifting the Transfer case like this?