Electric Fan delima - please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 10:43 AM
nsaikia
Senior User
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Unhappy Electric Fan delima - please help

I have a overheating problem in my truck and so decided to do something about the fan. The fan in the truck right now does not have any clutch. It is a mechanical fan with no flex and starts running as soon as I turn on the engine. Well, cools like crap.

I read through the read only thread on Electric fans and found that many used and liked Flex Lite fans. I saw two in particular that I liked - Monster fans, and 27" Fans. The two delima's are:

1) My truck is a 1979 F100. I measured the radiator core and it is 27" wide and about 17" tall. But I got enough room once I toss the mech fan. So, which of the Monster fan or the 27" Fan will be suitable? I think the Monster fan needs about 31" of space. I plan to put headers in my truck as well.

Link for Monster fan: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html
Link for 27" fan: http://www.flex-a-lite.com/auto/html...-electric.html

2) Now, there are many people who seem to favor the mechanical clutch fan. How do I convert back to one of them, if that would be more beneficial for me?

I will appreciate your help.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:30 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you could get either one to work for you. It's just a matter of figuring out how their going to fit.

You could go back with the mechanical clutch fan by finding a clutch and fan that will fit your truck. The downside is that you will probably need a shroud to get the most out of it. The electric fans free up engine room and you don't need a big shroud.