Sponsored by:

Factory Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 09:14 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Factory Sway Bars

I've heard lots of different reports on the performance of the factory sway bars that many of our Broncos came equipped with. My 1993 EB came with the 1" front bar and the 7/8" rear bar. Ever since I first started driving the truck, I noticed the terrible side to side sway. Even when going over the slightest bumps the truck seemed like it had coil springs for tires. I replaced all six shocks, added Rancho dual steering stabilizers (after having front end alianment) checked all body mounts, and everything else I could think of.

Well I just replaced all the bushings on my front and rear sway bars with some heavy duty poly ones I got off of BroncoGraveyard.com, and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! Now i've heard lots of people on here say that theirs didn't do anything, and it may have something to do with the year, or that they they still have the stock rubber bushings installed on them or something, but I just thought i'd let everyone know that they made a HUGE difference on mine and that ya'll should try em' out.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:22 PM
rudder9
Junior User
I added aftermarket sway bars and the poly bushings also,as well as Rancho rsx shocks .It know handles better than alot of cars I ride in. One of the best modifications I ever could have done.

Old 08-21-2005, 04:33 PM
MatthewC
Elder User
Cutting my sway bars into 14 little pieces with my angle grinder was the best modification I have ever done....

-Matt

Old 08-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Streetgang
Elder User
Originally Posted by masseysbronco
I've heard lots of different reports on the performance of the factory sway bars that many of our Broncos came equipped with. My 1993 EB came with the 1" front bar and the 7/8" rear bar. Ever since I first started driving the truck, I noticed the terrible side to side sway. Even when going over the slightest bumps the truck seemed like it had coil springs for tires. I replaced all six shocks, added Rancho dual steering stabilizers (after having front end alianment) checked all body mounts, and everything else I could think of.

Well I just replaced all the bushings on my front and rear sway bars with some heavy duty poly ones I got off of BroncoGraveyard.com, and WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!!! Now i've heard lots of people on here say that theirs didn't do anything, and it may have something to do with the year, or that they they still have the stock rubber bushings installed on them or something, but I just thought i'd let everyone know that they made a HUGE difference on mine and that ya'll should try em' out.
So your saying that your stock sway bars were on the truck already, and the big improvement was gained by just replacing the bushings with new HD poly ones? Or was the truck without the bars, and you added them and new bushings?

Old 08-21-2005, 06:27 PM
94 XLT White/ Silver 302
Elder User
I'm still using the factory rubber bushings with 6 Rancho 5000's and it handles pretty good. I'll have to try the poly bushings I've wanted to but just haven't gotten to it.

Old 08-21-2005, 11:48 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
mine allready had factory front and rear sway bars, i just replaced all the bushings on them, but i was amazed at the change in ride firmness (no more of that side to side stuff going around corners and over bumps)

Old 08-22-2005, 06:41 PM
rudder9
Junior User
Trust Masseybronco on this.The bushings make a huge difference, especially if the stock ones are 8 yrs. old, like mine were.Big improvement...

Old 08-22-2005, 06:54 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
I have a question - how did you get the wrap-around bushings on? The ones near the middle of the sway bar where it attaches to the frame in the front and the axle in the rear?

Old 08-22-2005, 07:00 PM
rudder9
Junior User
They have a split in them. Just undo the bracket, slide them off, then put the new ones in. It can be a pain, though.

Old 08-22-2005, 07:10 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
if you install the poly ones, make sure you use the grease that comes with them, everywhere the poly will contact metal. if you don't they will sqweak you to death.......