1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Ignition lock install 65

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2005, 10:58 PM
fordcoop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition lock install 65

I have no trouble getting the old ignition cylinder lock out using a piece of wire and turning counterclockwise past ACC. The problem is installing the new one. The cylinder either falls out or I cannot remove the key. What am I doing wrong? I am following the directions from a shop manual. I bought the lockset to make the doors and ignition the same key.

Old 08-19-2005, 05:56 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Coop, The cylinder should fit, don't know what the problem might be. You would push it in just like you took it out. Key in, horozontal teeth towards the door, push it in fully, turn the key up to the off position and pull the key out. That should do it.

All you had to do originally was take the cylinders to a good locksmith and had them keyed alike.

John

Old 08-19-2005, 11:23 AM
bertha66
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Check that you are lining up the blade on the back of the tumblers with the slot in the switch.

Old 08-19-2005, 07:55 PM
fordcoop
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In but not quite there...

I followed all advice, from this thread and earlier in archives. I did get the new cylinder in and working. But, the key is difficult if not impossible to remove. Have used WD 40 and still it is tough. It looks like the back of the switch (the blade?)is worn. There is a spring protuding from the same area which looks real worn, this has to be causing sometype of problem. So, I will leave it for now. Now on to the door lock portion. The whole reason for this was frozen locks in the doors. The locksmith was cost prohibitive.

Old 08-22-2005, 03:21 PM
camperspecial65
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
last year I put a huge post on this in as I fought and fought with my 65's switch....the bezel is notched ever so slightly so that when the switch is in the right orientation it will go together correctly only one way.....I spent a few days fighting, and mine was tight turning after I got it in right, but did loosen up a bit....works like normal now and no spinning switch which I see alot too....

go check out the archives....it gotta be there somewhere...

cs65