Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:55 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E40D: Vibration after kick down.

(check sig for vehicle details)

Hi guys,

Had a new thing happen over the past few days.

When I change down under medium to hard accelleration from OD to 3 or 3 to 2 I get a vibration for about 1-2s just after its changed gear. Speed around 50mph.

I cannot verify if it does it going 2 to 1 though.

It only last a few seconds but make the whole back end shake as if you are going over a cattle grid (don't know if you have them in the US).

Now the strange bit:

It does not vibrate when going OD to 3 if I use the OD OFF switch regardless of how hard I accelerate.

I does not vibrate when I/ it changes up from any gear.

It does (I think) vibrate when it changes down under medium acceleration but not when I blip the throttle to kick it down (i.e. going up a long hill and the truck decided to change down).

Oil level in box is ok (just above the twist in the dip stick, motor running and hot).

In normal cruising its fine.

It does not vibrate when chageing down when decelerating under engine braking to a stop light for example.

Drive shaft is ok - new UJ about 6 months ago.

Oil in box was changed about 2-3 months ago.

Any ideas? How fatal is it???

Vehicle has just passed 150K miles

Old 08-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Streetgang
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you checked for any codes??? Do both the KOEO, and KOER test.....and then you can see if anything is stored in the ECU that didnt give you a CEL (check engine light).

I dont want to sound like the bad guy here, but your E4OD may be giving you advanced notice that she will be needing surgery soon.....or that she have one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

When you changed the trans fluid, did you also change the filter.....it may have fallen in to the pan????
I have also cured trans shutter/vibration by switching to a high quality synthetic ATF such as Royal Purple, Amsoil, Red Line, or Mobil 1.

Old 08-17-2005, 08:01 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
No, I have not checked for codes - good idea, I didn't get the CEL on so I didn't think there would be any.

The filter was changed when the oil was done. I don't know what was put in - I didn't do it, but I'll check.

I had a feeling it was pretty poorly! Bugger, not ideal when I am in the UK. LOL

Old 08-17-2005, 08:38 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Right, just nipped out to the truck and ran the code reader. I get:

173 - HEGO too high (new one on order)
628 - Converter excessive slippage
634 - MLPS volatge too high or low or AC on.

So I have cleared the codes and will see if they reoccur on the way home from work tonight.

The convertor slippage might have been because I put the transmission in park before the vehicle had completely stopped the other day so it might have over run the transmission.

634 is interesting - will check the connector and clean it all up - might be a bad contact. Is there anything I can adjust on it? Haynes and Chiltons don't mention it.

Simon

Old 08-17-2005, 08:59 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
can anyone suggest somewhere online that'll sell me a new MLPS for an E40D that'll ship internationally? Tried Autozone and Midway Auto Supplies, no good... or even a ford part number for it.

Old 08-17-2005, 12:11 PM
McLeod
Cargo Master
Received 157 Likes on 120 Posts
Overdrive torque converters have a friction disc inside (OD lockup)that will slip and cause the vibration you are describing.

Happened to my E4OD.
Have the transmission shop replace the Trq. converter and up the pump pressure inside tranny.The problem will go away and tranny will last longer and shift firmer.

Old 08-22-2005, 04:02 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Well the chap at the Transmission Shop says its torque converter lockup ring too so We'll replace that first as you guys suggested.

Whilst he has the transmission out is there anything else that would be good to get done?

Can the rear engine crank seal be changed without dropping the pan or crank?

Someone suggested a shift kit on the transmission - what is it, what does it do and which should I choose?

Simon

Last edited by muckypaws; 08-22-2005 at 04:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2005, 06:07 AM
imlikeojnow
Junior User
Where did you find that big truck over there at? I was stationed there with My truck f250, and that was way too big for the road. Everyone looked and got out of the way tho

Old 08-22-2005, 06:18 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
I imported it from CA. Its a little big for some of the small lane out in the countryside but other than that I don't have a problem. So easy to manouver, easy to park (except in very narrow bays) and drives great. I'd love a F250 Superduty 4x4 but they would be way too long for our parking bays.

It is pretty commanding on the road and yeah its fun to scare the boy-racers in the little 4 bangers.

I used to drive a land rover 90 which had a similar road presence (all bi it much smaller) so I was used to 'trucks' rather than cars.

Broncos are pretty rare here - only seen 4-5 others (mostly on ebay).

F150s and Ram1500 are getting very popular here as is the H2 but with the exception of the F150 they just ain't right!

Simon

Old 08-22-2005, 06:22 AM
imlikeojnow
Junior User
thats cool. I had an 88 F250 super cab 4x4 wiht a 4 inch lift and 2 inch body lift with 36 inch tires. They loved me during MOT time cause it didnt fit in there gargage. I actually sold it over there right before i left to a guy in redding for a whole lot of money about 15 grand more than what i paid for it. At the time early 94 it was a hot commodotity

ken

Old 08-22-2005, 06:30 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
Yeah I had similar problem with my MOT - thankfully the rear view mirrors fold in or it wouldn't have fitted on the ramps. All 6 mechanics came to ahev a look at at and crawl over it as they'd never seen anything bigger than a Ranger before.

Your F250 sounds nice! I keep thinking about selling mine in the UK and get a newer one as I'm sure I could make £3-4k more than I paid....

Old 08-22-2005, 06:46 AM
imlikeojnow
Junior User
WEll i paid a little over 7 for the 250 as it sat, lift and all, and sold it to the guy in redding for his kid for right around 25 or so. I would have taken 10 for it but he trew out the number and i threw him the keys.

Old 08-22-2005, 06:51 AM
muckypaws
Elder User
LOL! sweet - lucky you!!! doubt I'd get that much though....

I guess I need to wait until the dollar/ pound goes down so its no longer cheaper to import then sell it. but then'd I'd be stuck without one and thats not good. bugger, my plan is flawed! back to the drawing board....