1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Need some advice on a 800 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 09:43 AM
jav409
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some advice on a 800 mile trip

I was layed off from my job due to cutbacks in California but found a better one in Idaho. I will be driving my truck a 1966 F100 352 up at the end of the month. aprox 800 miles, She's is running good and has good rubber and brakes, other than changing all the fluids is their any thing else I should be conserned about, the motor has milage in the 32k area and run's good, im a bit on the rich side but not to much, I gat around 14mpg on the freeway ( has overdrive) Rpms will be around 2000 for the whole trip.

any one ever do this kind of trip ?and what do you think ?

Old 08-13-2005, 11:14 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Jav

Sorry to hear about your job.

I have made that trip every year, ( I go to Montana fly fishing). I have never done it in my 65 but one thing I have seen alot of on that long stretch of freeway is over heating problems. The temperatures are supposed to be coming down but that is one long stretch of desert highway.

What highway are you taking? 80 thru Reno?

You will also be finding that when you get off of 80 and head out on 46 (I believe) it is a long way between gas. But at 14 mpg you should be ok with a full tank.

The last couple of years I have been going the long way to Montana and going north on I-5 thru Portland and Washington so they may have improved the gas situation.

Good luck

Hey IMO you are moving up. When I retire I am out of CA. Was born and raised here but it is getting way to populated for me.

jd

Old 08-13-2005, 02:10 PM
mikecarson
Senior User
I used my 62 to chase contract work (aircraft maintenance), hauling a 5th wheel RV. Coast to coast, border to border. Worst trouble I had was going from here to Everett, Wa. The coil went out in Idaho, on the 4th of July. Happened across a guy working on an old Ford in his yard, gave me his old coil.

Other than that, put over 300,000 trouble free miles on that truck in a ten year period. Did a number of ring jobs on the 223, finally went with a 390 when I started running to the west coast, had a hard time getting over the mountains in 1st gear...lol.

Old 08-13-2005, 02:48 PM
jav409
Senior User
Think ill be going north to weed and then over on 95 I think, along the cloumbia to spokane and over to CD'A. Truck runs cool ( stays on lefyt line on gauge, but I dont like the idea of long distance between Gas stations.,Thanks for the incouragement I Feel the old girl will make it just fine, but their are always things you didnt think of.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:20 PM
44dwarf
Laughing Gas
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bring a alt belt with you. Even good ones break at the worst time.
Grease up the drive shaft and front end inspect hoses and go for it.
44Dwarf

Old 08-14-2005, 12:15 AM
GregTruck
Elder User
If you are as paranoid as me you will bring a tool box, one of those 12 volt air pumps, a jug or two of water, a 5gal gas can (full), and never leave home without a roll of duct tape. The tape will save your a** with a broken water hose. It holds indefinitly. Since you are doing a move maybe you have an extra battery, some spare tires and some under hood goodies to throw in the back like a caburetor, distributor, starter, alternator, voltage regulator. Dont forget to pick up one of those 12Volt drop lights. All this will hopefully not be needed.... BUT,

You NEVER know what you will need.

To me traveling is a bit like camping out. When you camp out you try to bring everything necessary to survive. Even in a vehicle you are only an auto part away from suddenly being exposed to the elements for an indefinit period of time.

Old 08-14-2005, 05:25 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PA to IA and back last year, no real problems. The worst part is those long freeway journeys and no cruise control. The bench seat allowed me to sit off-center and use my left foot on the gas as needed.
Worst was the wind noise...if you're driving with the windows down you may want earplugs.

Old 08-14-2005, 06:18 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
jav, I would figure needing gas every 200 miles, have my toolbox, spare tire, extra gas & water, and take off.

Sounds to me like your truck is pretty stable, and would make the trip just fine. I would drive mine from NC to Calf. and back for enough money. With no AC and the price of gas what it is today, the amount of money would not be small.

John

Old 08-14-2005, 09:40 AM
jd_sylvia
Posting Guru

Jav

North to 95 is a little easier ride since there are more gas stations. Just remember when going thru Oregon you don't pump your own gas. They get a bit upset if you try.

It will also be a lot cooler going that direction. Ear plugs are a good idea. especialy if your wife rides with you. hehehe

Good luck on the drive.

jd

Old 08-14-2005, 05:54 PM
jav409
Senior User
Thanks guys! Greg it's only a half ton cant carry a spare truck, heh. Very good tires, no voltage reg converted to 1 wire soon after I got the truck, did a complete once over today and found play in the frount bearing on the waterpump, no leaks but going to replace it befor the trip, good tip on the earplugs. fuel wise i should be able to go around 230 on 16 gal, but will fill up every 200 just in case and give the legs a walk. My brother is going to drive the rental truck up and ill let it pull my bass boat. so the truck only has to pull it's self, 2 weeks left till "L" day ( leave ) changed the oil and filter, checked the timing ( pertronics ) new plugs and air filter ( holley carb ) shouldnt have to replace it. May need to rejet on the way though going from sea level to 2500 feet. well all I can do is check everything and leave it to the angel's of classic Fords, acording to this site they have a pretty strong lobby.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:52 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

I thought you had a Ford truck, didn't know you were referring to some sissy brand X.

John

Old 08-15-2005, 08:46 AM
jav409
Senior User
jowilKer it is a 1966 FORD F100, not a cheby or dog or yoyo or any of them others.

Old 08-15-2005, 09:21 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Oh OK, The way you are saying that it wouldn't pull a little ol bass boat, or haul something in the bed, I just knew that it had to be a brand X.

John

Old 08-15-2005, 03:55 PM
jav409
Senior User
Na just figured I save a little ware and tear on the old girl by letting the rental tow the boat. gettin a 16Ft rental so sence the milage is going to be crap anyways.......