Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 06:14 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting out

I need help from the experts...PLEASE!!!

I have an 01 F250 4x4 w/7.3 and 65K miles.

Couple of weeks ago started the truck and backed up and started to go. Went about 50 feet and it died. Shifted into park and tried to start but only got the starter to spin but no start, turned the key to the "off" position and tried to start and it refired. No other problems for a couple of days. Then while going down the freeway about 70 MPH, the engine died but then restarted on its own, went another mile of so and it did the same thing.

So, I say to myself, the CPS is warning me big time. So I go down to the international dealer and buy a new one and install. Great I think to myself, problem solved.

Then today, truck died 4 times on the way home, once at a complete stop and the other times doing about 55 MPH, this time it doesn't restart on its own. Have to pull over, shift into park, turn the key all the way off and restart. Each time it died the tach flatlined at 0.

Any ideas??

Thanks

Old 08-12-2005, 11:23 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Cutting out

Somebody please.......

I know I haven't posted thousands of messages like others, but how about a little help here

Old 08-13-2005, 05:41 AM
rockyrider
Senior User
Sure sounds like CPS. Wonder if the one you bought was a dud. (Well they all are duds, poor design) Could have been dropped, you know anybody you could swap with to check it out. Have you got a chip that might be coming loose?
Have patience others will jump in here. Post as much info about truck/mods ect as you can that will help out.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:57 AM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I seriously doubt that anyone on this board is snubbing you because of your post count. Sometimes it just takes more than a few hours to get some attention.

I'd start by checking every electrical connector I could find. Since it restarts every time I'm guessing it's electrical rather than mechanical, but it wouldn't hurt to check the oil level in the high pressure pump reservoir.

Old 08-14-2005, 10:56 AM
MTS
New User
Buddy B,
I am currently having a similar problem, and am here for advice. I have a 2000 F-350 with 145K with a new cps installed 10K ago. The symptoms of the cps seem to me to be different then what is happening now. It started a few days ago once or twice then gradually got worse. I will start the truck and it will run fine but all of a sudden it begans to miss and run ruff and the service engine soon light imediately comes on. After driving sometimes it stops running ruff and will run ok for a while, as soon as it stops running ruff the service light goes off. This is the wierd part.... on many ocassions it will began to run ruff and the service light will come on and it will all of a sudden die if I do not turn the ignition off and crank the motor it will never crank, but if I turn the ignition of (for only a 1/16 of a second) and then back on if I am going fast enough it will be automatically running again but if I am not going fast enough I will crank it and it will fire up instantly. It seems as soon as the circuit has been reset it will run but it usually is still running ruff with the service engine soon light on. I put it on a code scanner (a cheaper one $200) and there were no codes in the system, even with the service engine soon light was activated. ANY THOUGHTS??????
Sorry about being long winded with this, but I wanted it to be clear....

Old 08-28-2005, 05:40 PM
profro
Freshman User
Was there ever a solution to this?

I'm experiencing something similar. I've already had one CPS replaced, so that was the first thing I did this time. Didn't solve it. It would momentarily die then restart right up without stopping. Now it dies and I have to pull over and wait to restart it. It doesn't seem to have any particular time required to restart. When it dies the tach quits working and the engine dies. I replaced the PCM and Injectort module relays in the junction box and checked the fuses. I also replaced the PCM with a spare I had and it still did it. Its now starting to happen more freuquently and multiple times on each trip. I've also had the wiring harness on the driver's side protected to prevent rubbing on the valve cover and creating a short. I read somewhere that the harnesses might become disconnected on the inside of the valve cover. Is there an easy way to check other than the obvious removal of the valve cover?
Thanks

Old 08-28-2005, 07:06 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome profro, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Take a moment to read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 08-29-2005, 10:00 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Profro

I have done 2 things try and see if something else was the culprit. I had a chip, so I removed it and I also erased the computer memory per instructions on the site (unhook both batteries and turn on the lights to drain all power, let sit for 30 minutes.) So far after 2 or 3 weeks no cutting out, I think I'm going to try and but the chip in and make sure it's taped in place real good to see if something was screwing up the computer, if the cutting out returns then I'll know for sure it's the chip.

Sorry it's taken so long to repost but I want to run the truck in a certain configuration to work on the problem

Buddy

Old 08-29-2005, 10:14 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Originally Posted by BuddyB
Profro

I have done 2 things try and see if something else was the culprit. I had a chip, so I removed it and I also erased the computer memory per instructions on the site (unhook both batteries and turn on the lights to drain all power, let sit for 30 minutes.) So far after 2 or 3 weeks no cutting out, I think I'm going to try and but the chip in and make sure it's taped in place real good to see if something was screwing up the computer, if the cutting out returns then I'll know for sure it's the chip.

Sorry it's taken so long to repost but I want to run the truck in a certain configuration to work on the problem

Buddy
I bet you found your problem, and chip connection problems are not uncommon. Make sure the connections for the chip are extremely clean, and tape it in as well. BTW, be patient, I don't think anyone here really cares how many times you post. We're all here to help and be helped as the situation arises. Good people on this sight, and we're glad to have you. The more brains on here the better...

Max

Old 08-30-2005, 12:27 AM
Fis Teck
Mountain Pass
The best bet it's the crank sensor. Have the codes checked. If you have one or more codes the have to do with the crank sensor replace it.

Old 08-30-2005, 08:02 AM
profro
Freshman User
I've already replaced the CMP and that was not it. I took it to Ford yesterday and nothing. No codes. We ran all the diagnostic tests and everything came out clean (even the UVC harness). The only suggestion from the tech was to get to the IDM and check the wiring harness for loose or damaged wires. I did and nothing. It all looked golden and nothing caused the truck to die even by wiggling the wiring. So I'll keep you informed. But any other ideas would be welcome.

Old 08-30-2005, 10:42 AM
MTS
New User
THIS IS MY EXPERIENCE........the injector wiring harness (UCV)had begun to seperate on both the left and right banks of the engine. My mechanic explained to me that the shutting down of the engine was due to the harness shorting out and breaking the circuit in the injector computer....I am very lucky that the injector computer was not damaged.....

Old 08-30-2005, 09:04 PM
BuddyB
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Max1775
I bet you found your problem, and chip connection problems are not uncommon. Make sure the connections for the chip are extremely clean, and tape it in as well. BTW, be patient, I don't think anyone here really cares how many times you post. We're all here to help and be helped as the situation arises. Good people on this sight, and we're glad to have you. The more brains on here the better...

Max
So far still no problems ...yet. Just wondering though, would it help/hurt if I put dielectric grease on the chip connections when I reinstall?