400 Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:57 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Question 400 Trouble

I went to start my 78 Bronco and it wouldn't. I would here the starter try to turn over the engine, but the battery just didn't seem to have anough juice. So I tryed to jump it, and it killed the battery on my 77 F-100 and it did the same thing just didn't sound like it wouldn't turn over.

Then I let it sit a little while and tryed to start it and as long as I held the key to the start position it sounded like it started, but let go of the key it died.

I tryed starting it latter and it fired up right away, I tryed to give it some gas, and it started to shake and it wouldn't go over 2,000 RPM no matter how much gas was given. I put it in reverse and it started to shake again I put it in drive and it shook and died out.

Please let me know what might be the problem, I don't know what to think,a ground discarges the battery, water in the engine, an it acts like a engine mount is broken.
What's wrong here, I ran like a champ yesterday, I'm lost.

Old 08-10-2005, 04:59 PM
53fatfndr
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did the engine turn, but just sounded like it was really straining to turn over? If so, I could be way wrong here, but I'll take a guess and say something jumped/broke in your timing. Whether it is the timing chain, or distributor related (internal or even the hold down clamp is loose)....that is my GUESS. I only say this because I've read where really advanced timing can cause a strain on the starter. Also, I've seen the timing off on my Dad's BII and it would crank fast and slow, the timing was way, way off. There are alot more experienced guys on here, they'll chime in before too long

Last edited by 53fatfndr; 08-10-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:45 PM
danlee
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What do you mean when you say "a ground discharges the battery"?
Did you find "water in the engine"?

Check the water in the battery, if it is not a sealed battery, then clean the terminals. Check the battery voltage, then charge it overnight if possible, then check the battery voltage again. After that try to start it again, if it is still slow turning over check the battery cable conections to ground, to the solenoid and to the starter.

Low voltage at the starter will make the started sluggish and also make it draw more current. Excess resistance in the battery cables and/or connections will reduce the voltage at the starter.

Old 08-10-2005, 08:01 PM
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Then I let it sit a little while and tryed to start it and as long as I held the key to the start position it sounded like it started, but let go of the key it died.
my 74 did this when i put my 302 in it come 2 find out white wire off the brain box had 2 be cut off and no power going 2 the white wire red wire has to have fire when key is one just my 2 cents. but what do i know iam just a lost coonass 1 bad 71

Old 08-10-2005, 10:39 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by danlee
What do you mean when you say "a ground discharges the battery"?
Did you find "water in the engine"?
It seemd like a ground shorted out or something causeing the battery to die.

I sprayed down some of the engine area, and it might of gotton some water in the disributer or in the engine.

I started it earlyer, and as long as I didn't give it gas or put it in gear it was fine. In gear or given gas become real rough running and it dies out.If that helps any.

Old 08-11-2005, 06:18 AM
danlee
Postmaster
Was the motor hot when this happened, or was it cool?

Old 08-11-2005, 09:39 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
When I sprayed it down it was cool, when I tried to start it, it was cool.
I'm going check out the distributar.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:16 PM
danlee
Postmaster
If your plug wires are bad, or the cap or coil is cracked, water could make it run rough or not at all. How old are your plug wires, and your coil wire?

Water should not discharge the battery, but misfiring could make it hard to start.

Old 08-11-2005, 02:58 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I think I'm going to replace my spark plugs and wires, because they really look like they could use it.

I didn't think water messed up the battery, but I was just wondering why it killed my truck battery when I tryed to jump it.

I'll check things out some more, but any more sugestions or comments are very welcome.

Old 08-13-2005, 05:55 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
I changed the spark plugs and wires, It didn't help any. I had it running(crappy), and no I can't start it. I took off the air cleaner and the carb had some water on it, so I know some what got in the engine. Is there anything else I could do to try and fix this?

Old 08-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Socketman
Junior User
Have you taken off the distributor cap and checked for water condensation. this is a common occurence when washing an engine. it will make it run like ***. firing wrong cylinders in just about any order.

Old 08-13-2005, 06:22 PM
Senior User
if u got water in the eng pull all the plugs out and turn over. ps i am from alexandria moved 2 tx 5 years ago

Old 08-13-2005, 08:00 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Socketman, I took off the distributor and cleaned up what I could, but it wasn't wet at all I also thought this might of caused the problem, I'm running out of ideas.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
By the way 71100, you have one real nice motor there. How far along on your project are you now? It looks good so far, expesially the engine.

Old 08-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Socketman
Junior User
does the engine have an egr valve. if so check and see if it is stuck open. if i think of anything else i will let ya know. How old is the engine. any chance the timing chain jumped?

Quick Reply: 400 Trouble