General Automotive Discussion

Vw Jetta Diesel, Good Or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2005, 06:02 PM
captchas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigF350
Charlie, if you were intersting in running the car purely off-road.
Can you disable the EGR like you can on a 6.0l?
very simple a very big NOOOO.for some thing like that i would look for a pre egr tdi motor.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:22 PM
tdister
Posting Guru
You can't eliminate the egr easily, but you can reduce it to almost nothing through programming (vagcom) for pre-PD motors anyway. Adding a better filter to the CCV (to filter oil out of the fumes) is another option. When the ULSD fuel is introduced this will greatly alleviate the problem. VW considers the soot a non issue until it reaches 3/8" thick.

As far as turbocharged motors go the tdi's turbo is pretty sturdy as I understand it. I've read of several people being told by a dealer that they failed, and it ended up being only a hose after getting a 2nd opinion. Surge can be a problem on modified cars (a whole topic itself).

I'd recommend going with an 03' or earlier (non PD) for various reasons. Mostly the egr issues haven't been completely solved and the new injection setup kinda worries me. That and I'm just resistant to change. They seem to be doing fine and have already been proven overseas for several years. Anyone considering one go read up at TDIclub.

Besides the TB (not unique to the TDI, but it is expensive to pay someone to do it) and soot (solved) where is all this EXTRA maintenance I hear about on the non-PD engines? Is it the 10K mile oil changes? Never had a drop of water come out of the seperator, no plugs/wires. I do use fuel additives, but it's not required. fuel filters cost a little more and getting to the oil drain plug is a pain (solutions for this too). Where it gets expensive is if you aren't a DIYer. I consider these enthusiasts cars, if you don't work on your own cars (and aren't well off) and don't feel like researching them, it might not be for you. Heck, I wish there was more maintenance to do.

Mines been basically perfect (had some small work done before I got it). I do have to admit though, I wouldn't have bought a vw if it wasn't a diesel.

/oh yeah, careful with the oil pan (hangs low) or get the european skid plate.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Scottwestbound
New User
If your going to buy VW. like some one else posted Buy it Pre 95 or some thing like that. the newer cars have some horrible designs. My Ex had a 98 Beetle and everything was a problem. the powerwindows use wires to hoist the windows up and down. problem is the wires bind up and your window pretty much fall out. It was covered by the dealer though and her warranty was over. if you buy VW diesel is the way.