Notices
1978 - 1996 Big Bronco  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 cats?

Old 08-07-2005, 07:59 AM
lattices2
Senior User
lattices2 is starting off with a positive reputation.
2 cats?

1990 351 EFI Bronco

Just curious. Do i have 2 stock cats or 1? There's one after the y pipe with a heat shield, then goes downstream where a section of exhaust is covered again with a heatshield. I think I see air injection tube goes in just before here from the engine. Then it goes to the muffler.

Ive been told only 1, but i think that second one makes it 2.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:28 AM
slickerthanyou
Senior User
slickerthanyou is starting off with a positive reputation.
Yes came stock with 2. -Bob

Old 08-07-2005, 12:26 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
masseysbronco is starting off with a positive reputation.
get rid of both of them and replace them with one high flow. It's legal, it will pass emmisions, its about $80.00, the stock ones choke out about 65% of your exhaust sound and and cut way down on performance. I did the same thing to my 93 and have never regreted it (it passed emmisions last week)

Old 08-07-2005, 11:25 PM
wcoleman
New User
wcoleman is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have a 1992 302. How many cats do I have?

Old 08-08-2005, 12:00 AM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
2 if it's still stock. both sides of the engine combine into a y pipe which feeds into the first cat which feeds inot the second cat whick feeds into the muffler. all of which is on the passanger side right below the door. Oh and just so you know the factory cats are not identical (one is bigger)

Old 08-08-2005, 12:24 AM
greybullit
Senior User
greybullit is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have 2 on my 90 5.8. Anybody know if you replace it with 1 high flow cat it will pass in Cali??? These damn crazy emission laws here!

Old 08-08-2005, 01:08 AM
kameronth
Posting Guru
kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I am not sure about cali, but here in Clark County you will fail if you remove one. Sometimes the smog guy does not know what he should be looking for and you will pass. I had my first one gutted and the second was replaced with a high flow catco followed by a flowmaster.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:28 AM
lattices2
Senior User
Thanks

1990 EFI 351W

Ill try a single high flow cat. The guy at the autoparts store says the second one is a resonator, but i dont think hes right. I never heard anything here about resonators.

Old 08-08-2005, 08:27 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
yes Greybullit it will pass california emmisions (thats where i'm stationed). Just had mine done last week and it was waaaaaaaaaaay below the max on everything. They are 50 state legal because they do the same amount of filtering as the stock ones, but don't choke the engine. It's only illegal to remove emissions equipment if you don't replace it with the same thing or the equivalent (aftermarket highflow). HOPE THIS HELPS!

Old 08-09-2005, 12:39 AM
kameronth
Posting Guru
kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.kameronth is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I would still be careful removing one. Every county has there own emissions. It is easier to gut the first one out anyways because it serves as your y-pipe. If you remove it then you are stuck building or buying a y-pipe or a more expensive cat.

Old 08-09-2005, 01:54 AM
greybullit
Senior User
greybullit is starting off with a positive reputation.
MasseysBronco--So should I get 2 high flow cats? or replace one of them and cut the other out?

Old 08-09-2005, 11:27 AM
lattices2
Senior User
gut

What the best way to gut a cat?

Old 08-09-2005, 01:53 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Greybullit you only need dual highflow cats if you are going to be running true dual exhaust (both sides of engine kept seperate all the way out the back of the truck)

Old 08-09-2005, 01:59 PM
masseysbronco
Posting Guru
Lattices2 if you gut one of the two stock cats, thats illegal (if you care) and i doubt it would pass emissions.

That being said i would just take it out cut open the top (so that when you put it back in you can't tell it's been altered), and just put a straight piece of exhuast pipe inside of it so that the ehuast just flows straigh through it without being interfering with it.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:07 AM
lattices2
Senior User
thanks. I want to put in a high flow second cat so thought i dont need the first .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2 cats?

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.