1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

What is the best way to check ball joints??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 12:33 AM
GaryJ
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the best way to check ball joints??

I had my 96 B4000 4X4 in to the dealer about a month ago for an alignment. They told me they couldn't get it aligned because it needs ball joints (all four) and an inner tie rod end. There is no noise whatsoever when I drive it that could be ball joints, so I was skeptical.

I raised the tires tonight and had my dad push/pull on the tire with his hands at 6 and 12 o clock while I watched. Nothing. He couldn't feel anything and I couldn't see anything. I had him put a pry bar under the tire and pry upward as well. Again, nothing.

Is it possible I am missing something?? Am I simply doing it wrong? Or do you think the dealer was looking for an easy $1000, which is about what they quoted. Keep in mind, I can replace this stuff myself, I just thought I would confirm there was a problem first.

Old 07-29-2005, 12:36 AM
79_custom
Senior User
did you have the weight on the supension when the prybar was under the tire>? Other than that you are doing it right.. You should call the DS and ask to talk to the tech that worked on your truck the other day and ask him how that he found out how..

Last edited by 79_custom; 07-29-2005 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:45 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Sounds like your balljoints are fine. Take it to a reputable tire/alignment shop and ask them to do the alignment. If the balljoints and tie rod are as bad as the dealership claims, then the alignment shop will tell you the same thing.

Old 07-29-2005, 09:55 AM
GaryJ
Senior User
Originally Posted by 79_custom
did you have the weight on the supension when the prybar was under the tire>? Other than that you are doing it right.. You should call the DS and ask to talk to the tech that worked on your truck the other day and ask him how that he found out how..
It was over a month ago, so they wouldn't remember. I had a jack under the traction beam to get the tire off the ground. The tire was unloaded if thats what you mean.

Originally Posted by Rockledge
Sounds like your balljoints are fine. Take it to a reputable tire/alignment shop and ask them to do the alignment. If the balljoints and tie rod are as bad as the dealership claims, then the alignment shop will tell you the same thing.
I think I will just replace the tie rod end and take it elsewhere for an alignment. The crappy part is, they charge you even if they can't/won't align it. It was $70 for the dealer to tell me they couldn't do it. Doh!

Last edited by GaryJ; 07-29-2005 at 10:09 AM.