What is the differential case made of?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 10:36 AM
Freakazoid!
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is the differential case made of?

Hello, I need to some help finding out a couple of things for a paper I'm writing for a college course:

What alloy is the 8.8" differential case (or carrier) made out of? Or, does anybody know where I can find out? I've done some extensive internet searching, but no luck.

In case anyone's interested, the paper is about a failure analysis of a manufacured part, and I figured I'd write about the differential I blew a couple of years ago.

Thanks!

Old 07-27-2005, 11:05 PM
fallen
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently blew my Trac-loc carrier, so I had a chance to look it over pretty good. I could see the original fracture - distinct age difference in the new torn metal and the old, and it seemed to have started at the machined area for the clutch and side gear where the sharp edges weren't relieved. the Trac-loc is weaker than the open carrier because of the material removed for the traction devices. Anyway, I gave it a whack with a ball-peen hammer and it was easily dented, so I would guess a mild steel casting - hi carbon steel, not much for chrome or nickel alloy.

fallen

Old 07-28-2005, 12:27 AM
aurgathor
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm not positive, but I remember reading somewhere that newer ones have aluminium alloy casing. But I know for certain that my '95 is steel since I had to replace it once.