Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

oil filter leaks any idea why??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 01:56 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oil filter leaks any idea why??

my oil filter leaks between the housing and the filter i've tried 3 different filters stock fram, motorcraft and motorcraft powerstroke filter. i've tighten the crap out of it, and intsalled it like you should im out of ideas. although it doesn't leak that bad two quarts every 2500 miles and some of that comes out the rear main that i'll fix when the stock clutch goes

Old 07-23-2005, 02:50 PM
Hangfire
Senior User
Be sure your old rubber gasket is not stuck inside the housing.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:51 PM
justblowin'smoke
Elder User
i've done that every time

Old 07-23-2005, 11:50 PM
babbler
Junior User
mine does the same thing..

Old 07-24-2005, 10:30 AM
bilder12
Posting Guru
I wont say for sure but have you looked to make sure it is the filter leaking and not one of the pipe plugs above the filter or one of the o rings in the cooler? Just a suggestion as oil leaks can be real treat to find.

Old 07-24-2005, 11:57 AM
Dave Sponaugle
Post Fiend

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
On my 6.9 original engine when I changed the filter I tightened it hand tight. Then with a filter wrench I tightened it 1 1/2 turns more. Any less and it leaked. But the bad thing was then trying to get the filter off the next oil change.

I used to take my own oil & filter to a Valvoline Quick change place in the winter for oil changes. After they broke three filter wrenches trying to remove the filter, they refused to change my oil after that. I have been using the same filter wrench for 10 years. So I just did it laying in the snow after that. The long Fleetguard (LF3630) filters do make it easier to get them back off, the wrench is below the frame so you can torque on it.
I need a garage my truck will fit in.

Last edited by Dave Sponaugle; 07-24-2005 at 12:03 PM.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:54 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
When you have the filter off check to see if MAYBE the housing has a hairline crack. Also overtightening the filter might push the gasket out just enough to leak.

Old 07-24-2005, 02:19 PM
Ponyracer
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Sponaugle
On my 6.9 original engine when I changed the filter I tightened it hand tight. Then with a filter wrench I tightened it 1 1/2 turns more. Any less and it leaked. But the bad thing was then trying to get the filter off the next oil change.

I used to take my own oil & filter to a Valvoline Quick change place in the winter for oil changes. After they broke three filter wrenches trying to remove the filter, they refused to change my oil after that. I have been using the same filter wrench for 10 years. So I just did it laying in the snow after that. The long Fleetguard (LF3630) filters do make it easier to get them back off, the wrench is below the frame so you can torque on it.
I need a garage my truck will fit in.
dont use oil to lubricate the rubber seal as the oil will turn into a glue that causes the oil filter to be very hard to remove. Next time try vaseline, it helps on installation and will make removal easier than using oil.

I have always used a large set of channel lock plyers for removal and found that while working at a Ford dealership I was able to remove almost every oil filter 100% of the time. I use a strap style filter wrench to do the tightening.

Last edited by Ponyracer; 07-24-2005 at 02:23 PM.