low oil pressure??

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 03:13 PM
bubbatrucker
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

1977 F-100, 302

I got a great bubba truck a while back for a song. Fellow I got it from had added under-the-dash gauges. He routed the oil gauge line too close to the manifold, and the other day it burned a hole in the line. Nice cloud of blue smoke as I eyeballed the gauge while limping off the Interstate.

Grabbed two five-quart jugs of 10W-40 at a nearby Wal-Mart and limped on home after topping it off.

The AutoZone guys tell me I just need to pull the burned line or cut them a segment and they'll sell me a replacement right cheap.

If I'm going to cut the line, I need to be able to install the replacement right there in the parking lot before driving off. So,

QUESTION:

Before I head to AutoZone a few blocks from here trailing a light blue haze, are there any tips, tricks, suggestions about replacing and re-placing this line?

Will I need special tools? Clamp? Sealant? Duct tape? Baling wire? Chewing gum?

Thanks.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:33 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:14 PM
supercab4x4dually
Senior User
If it's a aftermarket guage all you should need is a 3/8" wrench,and 2-7/16's" wrench's.They sell a oil pressure line kit at autozone.I wouldn't splice it.It's just a simple nut that slip's on oil line,and then a little faro that slip's on line next,and then feed line into threaded hole where old one was untile you can't push line in nomore,and then tighting bolt to crush faro.it's all brass fitting's.Real easy fix.I had this happen inside the cab,but I noticed as oil mad my floor slipperly.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:37 AM
Purely Ford
Elder User
Originally Posted by supercab4x4dually
It's just a simple nut that slip's on oil line,and then a little faro that slip's on line next,and then feed line into threaded hole where old one was untile you can't push line in nomore,and then tighting bolt to crush faro...
It isn't called a faro, it is called a ferrule. I'm not trying to teach english class, just trying to clarify a term.

Old 07-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Torque1st
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Prime examples of why I don't recommend mechanical oil pressure gages...

Electrics are MUCH better.

Old 07-23-2005, 10:15 AM
7fords
Senior User
junk that plastic line crap and get yourself a quality setup. just think if that had blown in the cab where it was spraying on you

Last edited by 7fords; 07-23-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 07-23-2005, 10:57 AM
fordnjneer
Senior User
I've had both happen and the "slippery floor" stinks, but is nothing compared to your brand new engine smoking like a bandit. It is also tough to determine where the oil is coming from when it is all over the engine. Uh, I guess that is until you notice the nitrile oil pressure line has a hole in it. 50# of pressure can sure run your oil out quickly.

I agree that the electric sender and gauge are the way to go but they can be expensive and since you already have the mechanical one...

Make sure you get the longest piece of line you can to replace and run it straight to the driver's side inner fender off the fitting in the block. Then dress the line neatly with the headlight loom and then through the firewall. Whouldn't be a problem after that.

The previous suggestion about the wrenches is spot on and bring some rags and zip ties in case you can't keep the line where you want it. Another thing you can do with the mechanical gauge is put it on the cowl and run the pressurized line over the manifold. If the gauge is expensive, though, you probably don't want it outside the truck.

Old 07-23-2005, 06:34 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Equus makes a copper line kit, that is much sturdier than the plastic line. if you have a NAPA or CarQuest, they should also carry a copper line kit from Stewart Warner.