Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Edge Evolution

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:25 AM
David Anderson
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edge Evolution

I just recieved an Edge Evolution for my Father-in laws 1997 F-250 PSD and when I installed it on 60hp it really didn't give us the results we were expecting.We then installed it to 100hp mode and really couldn't tell anymore difference between the two modes.I think part of the problem may be because he rode in my 2003 6.0 with the Diablo Predator on 100hp and it flat out flies.
Is there anything that could possibly be wrong with this tuner or is that normal?

Old 07-21-2005, 07:32 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 818 Likes on 624 Posts
Yeah, you answered your own question there. The 6.0's are a lot faster than the 7.3's right out of the box. Put a tuner on them and go hunt for ricer's to humiliate.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:41 AM
David Anderson
New User
I understand,but I really expected a more seat of the pants difference.We run the truck on both settings and it just doesn't spool up as fast as I thought it would.It wouldn't even turn the tires over if he built it up and stomped it.
It doesn't get going until it's around 25mph.

Old 07-21-2005, 07:47 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Hmmm, you should get a lot of smoke at the higher settings and lugging it like that. There may be some problems that need to be dealt with before installing the Edge.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:20 AM
David Anderson
New User
Cool

It does produce plenty of smoke,but it just doesn't sit you back like I expected it to.I don't drive the truck very often and I'm sure it has made a difference,but we were both expecting a little bit more than what we got.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:30 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Well, my truck still has stock programming so I don't have much personal experience to offer. However it's been said a lot here that it takes some serious mods to the 7.3 just to make it keep up with a stock 6.0. It's an older design and you're never going to get the dramatic response out of it like you did with your 6.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM
David Anderson
New User
Smile

I totally agree with you on that one.He drove my truck after I installed the Predator on mine and he couldn't believe how fast that thing goes.He built it up on take off and it just sent my 285 BF Goodrichs on fire all the way through 3rd gear and his will not even turn the tires over.I think depression is setting in on him now!!

Old 07-21-2005, 09:34 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
It does sound like somthing isnt quite right but I have heard that the OBS's dont respond as well with tuner's as the the 99+ up 7.3's do. Chips its a different story, maybe someone around here with experience with tuners on the OBS could chime in.
My dad has a 6.0 with a SCT Xcalibrator2 that Innovative Diesel tuned and with the 100hp mode that thing will just flat roast the dual's. My mom yells at him because he is always smoking ricers with it

Old 07-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Mark at DPPI
Elder User
David,

If it's high mileage pull the two bolts that hold the cat to the down pipe and then drive it. I can't tell you how many of those cats are plugged up and really kill performance etc.

Mark @ DPPI

Old 07-21-2005, 11:23 AM
SoCalDieselFan
Freshman User
Im not sure what the issue is. Im new to all this .... however; on my F350 7.3L Ive got a Banks Big Head actuator, and Ive run the Edge Evolution unit on several modes, Tow and Extreme ... etc.

It makes a HUGE difference on my truck... Huge. Stock it runs like a pig .... with the edge - it barks 2nd hard, and almost chirps 3rd. Eats V10's up, and embarrasses ricers. 7k lbs ebarrassing ricers ... love this truck.

My poor tranny ... :-)

Old 07-21-2005, 11:36 AM
Max1775
Elder User
I gotta chime in on this one. There should be a big difference with the Evolution although I personally prefer chips for hp gains. I've sold a couple of Evolutions to OBS truck owners and they loved them. I think Mark is on the right track. You're either not getting enough air into the engine, or not getting enough exhaust out. Make sure the air filter is clean, and check the cat. If your running the stock downpipe, that is also an issue. I can never stress it enough especially to the OBS guys, you gotta do supporting mods before the chips, tuners, propane, injectors, or whatever. Without them your just not going to get what you should. I'm sure Mark or one of the other sponsors could hook you up with gauges, intake and exhaust. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:39 AM
David Anderson
New User
The truck only has 35,000 miles on it.Could he download his stock settings back in it and try it on his 2000 Excursion to see if it responds better on it?Are you saying that the 97 responds better to a chip than the programer?

Old 07-21-2005, 11:47 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCalDieselFan
Im not sure what the issue is. Im new to all this .... however; on my F350 7.3L Ive got a Banks Big Head actuator, and Ive run the Edge Evolution unit on several modes, Tow and Extreme ... etc.

It makes a HUGE difference on my truck... Huge. Stock it runs like a pig .... with the edge - it barks 2nd hard, and almost chirps 3rd. Eats V10's up, and embarrasses ricers. 7k lbs ebarrassing ricers ... love this truck.

My poor tranny ... :-)
..Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:50 AM
Max1775
Elder User
Yeah, you can put the stock program in it and then switch vehicles, that programmer will work on any 7.3 PSD from 94-03. Chips just give more hp than tuners. They are specifically tuned for the PCM program in each vehicle, so they are much more customized than a tuner. Tuners have there advantages as well, especially for reading codes. That's extremely low mileage on a 97! I'm over 200k on mine, but she still runs like a spotted-butt ape.

Max

Old 07-21-2005, 12:03 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
The OBS trucks are only capable of 220-230 rwhp on stock injectors PERIOD, unless propane or water/ meth injection is used. Simply put your injectors are maxed out on the 60 hp setting, so switching it to the 100hp setting wont get you much if any more power. Yes i had an evo once and noticed the same thing.

luke