1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Headers for a 66 with a 460

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2005, 03:46 PM
junkyardjeff
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headers for a 66 with a 460

I am planning on putting a 460 and C-6 from a 77 F350 in my 66 F250,I am using the mounts and powersteering from the 77 to install it in the 66 so should I get headers for a 77. Jeff

Old 07-17-2005, 02:23 AM
RickyD
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I am not sure what the exact app was but I have seen Sanderson shortys installed on a 460 in a 66

Old 07-17-2005, 05:12 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by junkyardjeff
I am planning on putting a 460 and C-6 from a 77 F350 in my 66 F250,I am using the mounts and powersteering from the 77 to install it in the 66 so should I get headers for a 77. Jeff
Yes, You will not find a listing for 66.

John

Old 07-17-2005, 09:20 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Jeff,
Engine bay + Cab/Firewall to Chassis relationship is same 65 thru 79, what fits 77 fits 66 same way. At worst you might have to trim your inner fender panels if you decide to use "outside the frame" headers.

L & L Products make headers, and/or full conversion kits or various pieces parts for this engine conversion too.

What're you going to do with the OEM 77 F-350-460 Cast iron exhaust Manifold Jeff? I could use that thing if you want to get rid of it.

PM me.

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 07-17-2005 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-17-2005, 09:24 AM
junkyardjeff
Mountain Pass
The 77 has a junk set of headers on it now so it does not have manifolds,I will be trying to find a set if I dont go with headers. Jeff

Old 07-17-2005, 09:31 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Okay, ThanX anyhow!
I had headers but my 460 is so close to OEM & turns lo enough RPM that it actually runs better w/ CI Manflds than it does with headers. Also I found by runniing Hi temp T-stat with OEM Intake it gets better performance & MPG too.

FBp

Old 07-18-2005, 07:15 AM
Voodoo66
Junior User
Morning guys, I am a new user from way down south in New Orleans, Louisiana. As far as headers go you must decide if you want full length or shortie style headers. I have a '66 with a 671 supercharged 460, I wanted to use full length headers but when installing them i came to realization that the main lower crossmember that the engine sits above is about a 1" inch or a 1 1/4" longer than a 70's era crossmember. I use Sanderson's shortie header which also has a really large tubing so lets my supercharger breath better. The tubes are large on the header but is also built to be compact so there's no need to cut the inner fenders to make them fit. I hope this information helps you out and good luck with your project, I know from experience that once you tackle getting the right engine stands in for that motor its a failry easy swap. Good luck!

Charles
1966 F100 460 6-71 supercharged
1966 F100 240 I6

Old 07-20-2005, 06:21 AM
jowilker
Fleet Owner

Received 46 Likes on 44 Posts
Charles, Welcome to FTE The best truck show on the net.

Hope you will find a place among us here and become a part of the group.

John

Old 07-20-2005, 07:58 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
Thumbs up

Charles aka Voodoo66,
I certainly second Johns' Howdy to ya & also welcome ya here to FTE !
Jump on in and talk to us, we can use the help, . . . . fo' sho' !

A 460 with a huffer and 2 750s is a lot of engine. Especially considerin' the heavier air of the Big Easy bein' below sea level and all. have you run it at a strip?
It sounds like a Nasty Ride.

I get along "awright" with my 460 it's naturally aspirated with a single quad, but my ducks are laser straight from its' front bumper all the way back to its' slipstream.

Could I get ya to do me a favor?
Would ya please begin to call your Slick a STYLESIDE bed, or do ya really have a ChevROTlet pick up bed on it?

Donch see FOMoCo has Flare Side & Style Side type beds while Brand X ChevROTlet claims to have fleetside & stepside type beds on their wannabe trux.

FBp

Last edited by FordBoypete; 07-20-2005 at 08:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2005, 06:11 PM
Voodoo66
Junior User
Sorry about my misuse of the bed description........I work for a GM affiliated dealership so I tend to stray in my words sometimes, do please forgive me.

To answer the question about running it at the track I have not run it just yet. It still sits on its original frame which I am beginning to find out is not strong enough for the powerplant. I am in the process of building a tube chassis for it which I am hoping to get a ride height of about 5" inches from the ground. As far as horsepower goes I have plenty (900 of them). My stable seems to be packed with very strong pony's but as my fellow car club members have told me I tend to have a sick mind. I would like to rebuild my block with a stronger bottom end. I'm thinking forged 514 crank with a stud girdle, keith black forged blower pistons accompanied by some H-beam rods. Plan on keeping the original cast iron heads since its better for the 6-71. Since I dont get to drive it to often with the wacky weather we have down here with the rain showers off and on and the hurricane season present I'm thinking of swapping out the carbs for some fuel injection. I am currently running a Comp Cam Extreme292 cam. I has a really nasty sound then add the whine from the blower..........lets just say I dont get any hassle from the chevy/mopar guys on the street. I simply love driving it and getting caught next to a few rice burners with the boom boxes, all I have to do is throw her in neutral tack her up to about 3grand and no more boom box thumping to give you a headache at the traffic light. The only trouble I really seem to get is from the mustang guys wanting to race all the time, but I'll pass for now.

Air temperature is not really a big porblem just sucks a lot of gas. She runs fairly cool even in the heat of the day.

Would love to become a member to the group, I'm more than willing to accept any ideas or information you may extend my way and hopefully have a few answers to your questions.

I just hope I can get to finishing my chassis soon but I am in the process of trying to finsh a few other trucks including my other '66 with the I6 for crusisng the coast in october. By other projects I mean my father's 1954, and my brother's 1957 F100's.

Have a good day and hope to hear from you guys.

Charles

Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 AM
FordBoypete
Posting Guru
I'm down with that Charles!
No biggee on the "jargon" thing either, you're in the majority for sure, I'm just being my ol' **** self about it ( Most people call them what you did or do and they call what FoMoCo called integral bed Pick ups "Uni's" for unibody, which they aren't really. They do sit on an early design, single I beam '57 to '64 "ladder" style chassis.

My SLICK sits on a 79 F-150, SWB, Trailer-Special Chassis. It's in all actuality what a Short Wheel Base F-250 would be if FoMoCo made a SWB F-250. It has the 13" double piston front discs & 11"X3" rear drum brakes except they're still a 5 on 5.5" bolt pattern of the F-100 & F-150. The rails are heavier gauge and slightly taller and it came with Anti Sway bars on both ends, plus Aux over load springs which I removed.
I don't believe I over power my frame, at least there's no sign of that.

I know 'zactly whatcha mean about Brand X Competition.

My Slick doesn't sound "nasty" but is worth an honest & consistent 13+ in the street.
That's good enough to stop most discussions among street people, especially with a hole shot. Usually they go past me, but by the eigth I'm starting to roll pretty good. It's my 120 - 125 mph Big end that gets by them. The biggest giggle is when I go past those GM "A" body sedans in an "Ol' FoMoCo" truck.

About Injectors, are you talking about EFI? or mechanical, like an Enderle or Hilborn ?
I hate to ask that, or this but here goes, are you EFI Literate? I have no experience with EFI on a real "huffer" although I have messed with EFI on a axial, like a Latham. I'm a huge proponent of T/P - EFI especially MAFS run with EEC IV Logic. But my past experience with 471s & 671s goes way back dealing with "Fuel" not Pump gas.

IMHO my ideas on EFI with a real "huffer" are still out. It's the "huffer" that changes the dynamic equation of fuel inducting. Those ol' bus blowers can really stuff a force feeding in the intake runners. So all the exacting science of airflow mechanics & pulse width atomization control goes by the way side.

I have been messing with "warbird radial engines" are you familiar with any of that Technology? The Pratt & Whitney 2800 & 4360 models usedouble and tripple stage centrifugal Blowers. The Wright Cyclones I have worked with only use a single stage centrifugal blowers but they make incredible power and unreal torque at very low RPMs. What I'm getting at is these beasts use what they call a carburetor, but I'm here to tell ya it's not a carburetor at all. It's a mechanical technology CFI system. It bolts "on top" of blower, like Enderle/ Hilborn set ups. It's vacuum & MAP controlled, as well as Altitude Sensing based on what's similar to BAP parameters from Mass Air EFI.

Holley and Bendix are two Mfgrs. We are talking engines gulping 120 thru 600 or more pounds of fuel per hour @ 1750 to 4000 HP with torque from 2K - 6K without reduction gearing. Calculate how much CFM 2800 cubic inches gulp at 2100 RPM, it's BIG. . ! You can see where this is going. . . .
If you are going to go for EFI you can run a multiple CFI (throttle body) set up, but you will not find any with big flow numbers. Also I'm not sure how to address volume/ psi issues EFI has. They run a pump similar to an old Hilborn Boost pump at high PSI, but EFI also runs a huge return line too . . . . I s'pose you can figure it all out.

I'm struggling with EFI on 385 series [460 in my case] engines. I have a problem with lbs/hr injectors. What BSFC dictates for WOT aren't known to Idle well but what idles well leans out at Higer RPM WOT. I got the answer but I will have to come up with an Intake manifold or some modification to make it work. I've already said too much.

10-4 on those "Big Blow Stroms"! I Had my fill of them in '04!!!
I can deal with the rain, We live on a Hill. FWIW we're looking at a tropical wave to be arriving here over the weekend so we'll be getting more rain.

Oh Well . . .
FBp

Old 07-21-2005, 09:49 AM
Voodoo66
Junior User
As far as being EFI literate I personally am not but am very fortunate to be surrounded by very knowledgable engineers who are. For instance one is an engineer for NASA down here (not responsible for the shuttle mishap), the other in mind was a engineer for a powerplant. So I am pretty safe they will lead me down the right path. Both have built supercharged vehicles at one time or another.