Sponsored by:

'89 Bronco 5.8L 351-- Needs lots of TLC

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 08:42 PM
LostNOz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face '89 Bronco 5.8L 351-- Needs lots of TLC

She needs LOTS of TLC and has so many problems I don't know where to start. I posted on another thread... has a leak, coolant I believe, as that is the only fluid that keeps going low. It must spray on start up cause the fan belt doesn't squeak at first, but then starts to squeak more and more the longer it runs. Just replaced the fan belt under a year ago. Don't think it's time for a new one already. Seems be coming from the front of the engine somewhere, and it also has a pungent odor when I first start to drive it, as if it is burning off the engine somewhere. Any ideas?

Another problem I have is the fuel gauge... reads about a quarter of a tank before start up, and then after start up goes to empty. Of course it doesn't help to put gas in it... it always reads empty until I shut it off, then it climbs back up to a quarter of a tank until I start it up again... Help?

Was told at my last inspection that my timing seems off... the idle is pretty rough, seems to fluctuate alot. Replaced the distributor cap and spark plugs a few months ago. Ran GREAT(!) for a while, but then... well that's why I am here. It has California emissions on it (Texas is pretty strict about emissions, especially down here around the Houston area) and I get about 8 miles/gallon in town. Could it be a vacuum problem??

Break shoes and pads were replaced less than a year ago right after I got her. Hasn't been driven that much, it's not driven everyday. Noticed the last time I drove it that there was some noise coming from one side when I came to a stop...could this be from the coolant leak? Could it be getting on the breaks and causing them to squeal? Sometimes seems as if the brakes slip when coming to a stop. Of course, the Bronco doesn't like to stop sometimes either, seems as if it has a mind of it's own and is off to the races.

Tried to start her up two days ago, ignition turned all the way to start, but no fire... wouldn't start up. Turns very freely, too freely. Correct me if I'm wrong, but we replaced the ignition cylinder (still turned too freely) and still nothing... problem would be the actuator, right????

Enough for now, if I can get some help with any of these, I will be grateful! If I could just know where to start with any of them, it should be gravy from there. Thanks y'all!

Old 07-07-2005, 08:56 PM
nixvet2000
Junior User
actuator

I've had my 1988 for 10 years now. You're right...they need TLC with 156k mi.
Sounds like your acuator alright. I replace mine every two years because of the poor design. Costs me $150 a pop. I don't mess with the steering. They have to drop the column and remove the steering wheel. Make sure they don't break the shift indicator wire around the column.
Good luck with the rest of your probs. I still think my 'Bronc is worth it!
nixvet

Old 07-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Gurahl
Junior User
Have you checked the upper radiator hose?
Mine started sagging and I didn't notice but it would touch the pulley beneath it while driving. It finally blew on me, but luckily I was at Autozone.

Gurahl and his Bronc'nstein

Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 AM
LostNOz
New User
Wow! Every two years huh? It sounds as if you get off cheap. I was quoted $250 from one place I called and a minimum of $160.00 at another place I called to replace the actuator. I know a mechanic that lives off the island...may have to see if I can get him down here and find out if he can do it. Thanks for the confirmation on that!

As far as the radiator hose, it was replaced when the fan belt (a year ago) was replaced just for that reason. The pully was rubbing against the hose, but we put a different design of radiator hose on it so that it wouldn't rub. It sits close to the pulley but not so close that it would rub. I will double check that though, but I don't think that's it. Will take a look again and see if I can narrow down that location, but it seems to be coming from the front of the engine.... Thanks y'all! Much appreciated! Any ideas from anyone else about the gas gauge (or anything else?) ? Is it the float? If it is, why would it go up to 1/4 of a tank when the engine is shut off? Would like to start with the most obvious solution for this first and go from there.