Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tru-cool results...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2005, 09:27 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tru-cool results...

well, like i posted... got the tru-cool lpd tranny cooler installed... major pita... mostly because i made the job harder than it needed to be... but... good results... the cooler is mounted high up on the passengers side of the condenser... looks awesome... almost like it came that way from the factory.. but the best thing is the temp drop in the tranny... driving around for over an hour tonight... mostly in traffic.. with the ac on... before i would have been 140 or a little higher... tonight the tranny gauge didn't even make it to 100*...! NICE..! can't wait to tow the 5ver again...! i don't plan on seeing 200* plus temps ever again...!

Old 07-06-2005, 09:43 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

glad for you, although i do not see anywhere near that low of temps. but i also have and OBS. where is you sensor located??

seems very low to me. mine is in the service port on left side of trans case.

Old 07-07-2005, 05:11 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
mine is in the port also... i don't know if i'll see 40* temp drops while towing but i really hope so... do you have an intercooler...?

Old 07-07-2005, 08:59 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

Originally Posted by johnny8
mine is in the port also... i don't know if i'll see 40* temp drops while towing but i really hope so... do you have an intercooler...?
no and was wondering if that would affect it. should not really. also i wonder if ford put the cooler in between on the SD so that the trans would warm up faster and stay @ a more constant temp.

my gauge also starts @ 140* and has not seen it yet this week. not warm enough i guess. so i could actually be @ 100* and just does not register. i would actually think that there is such a thing as too cool of trans oil as well. not sure of a number though!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:09 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i think that intercooling helps lower egts, and that may help the tranny indirectly by helping the motor to run a shade cooler, probably not measurable though... it has been cooler, so i may not be comparing apples to apples yet... i think there is such a thing as too cool.. that's why i like my remote starter, it lets the motor and the tranny warm up in the cold NE winters... that's also why i mounted my cooler so high on the condeser, it gets more air to cool it in the summer, but it is also very accessible for me to block it off in the winter, too much work to remove it, and i don't want to put in a valve and isolate it... that fluid stuck there would get to dang cold, it would worry me, so, i'll just find an easy way to block off the air flow in front of it... hell, i could block off that whole radiator in the winter and i don't think my mule would even notice..!

Old 07-07-2005, 09:28 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

i think that intercooling helps lower egts, and that may help the tranny indirectly by helping the motor to run a shade cooler, probably not measurable though... it has been cooler, so i may not be comparing apples to apples yet... i think there is such a thing as too cool.. that's why i like my remote starter, it lets the motor and the tranny warm up in the cold NE winters... that's also why i mounted my cooler so high on the condeser, it gets more air to cool it in the summer, but it is also very accessible for me to block it off in the winter, too much work to remove it, and i don't want to put in a valve and isolate it... that fluid stuck there would get to dang cold, it would worry me, so, i'll just find an easy way to block off the air flow in front of it... hell, i could block off that whole radiator in the winter and i don't think my mule would even notice..!
no but ur cold a@@ might!! so u gotta sled??

Old 07-08-2005, 09:58 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
no but ur cold a@@ might!! so u gotta sled??
im a fat old man... i got plenty of insulation on my butt so it seldom gets cold..! i have two sleds ... up in maine... i need to go get them but i gotta get a trailer first... looking to borrow one because i might sell the sleds this fall

btw... an update on the performance of the cooler... drove done to joe fish in mass for dinner tonight... 1 1/2 at 70 mph or so... tranny temps BARELY got to 100*... pretty good... but the really nice thing was as soon as i stoped and idled for a few mins, the temp fell well below 100*....! nice to know if you are towing and you stop for a break, you can leave your truck running and your tranny will cool off as well as your turbo...!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:03 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

im a fat old man... i got plenty of insulation on my butt so it seldom gets cold..! i have two sleds ... up in maine... i need to go get them but i gotta get a trailer first... looking to borrow one because i might sell the sleds this fall

btw... an update on the performance of the cooler... drove done to joe fish in mass for dinner tonight... 1 1/2 at 70 mph or so... tranny temps BARELY got to 100*... pretty good... but the really nice thing was as soon as i stoped and idled for a few mins, the temp fell well below 100*....! nice to know if you are towing and you stop for a break, you can leave your truck running and your tranny will cool off as well as your turbo...!
nice, i think that the rain helps too. my needle did not even register today. where is joe fish??? i live 15 minutes from fitswilliam!!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:17 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
somewhere near methuen..? i dunno... everytime i go down there i have no idea where i'm going because the road signs are COMPLETELY USELESS...! i drive around trying to follow whatever directions i have, and somehow i end up where i wanted to go... but i usually have to turn around because i just drove past it...!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:21 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

somewhere near methuen..? i dunno... everytime i go down there i have no idea where i'm going because the road signs are COMPLETELY USELESS...! i drive around trying to follow whatever directions i have, and somehow i end up where i wanted to go... but i usually have to turn around because i just drove past it...!
so you are closer to 93?? then i am closer to 101 and 91.

Old 07-08-2005, 10:24 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
i live about 15 mins from exit 20, (tilton) on i-93.... lots of slow moving people out in the rain... but it's tough to keep my mule under 60 on the highway... you know the power of the dark side...!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:31 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

i live about 15 mins from exit 20, (tilton) on i-93.... lots of slow moving people out in the rain... but it's tough to keep my mule under 60 on the highway... you know the power of the dark side...!
yea, but my OBS is not that fast. i think because it seems slower than it is because of it's size.
when a saab or a volvo try to pass me on the right. i kick her down a gear and they cannot get by... this makes me smile and laugh to myself!!!
AM I A BAD PERSON???

Old 07-08-2005, 10:37 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
you rank right up there with darth vader man...! LOL...! i hate to say it, but i blew the doors off a little ricer when we left the tolls tonight on the way home...! i left before he did, but i heard him winding the **** out of it and i just couldn't let him run away from me without showing the power of the psd...! he had just passed my front bumper when my turbo spooled up and suddenly he was fading back... i think he forgot to way anchor...! i let of at 70 and he was about 5 car lengths back... a few seconds later he goes screaming by... sorry charlie... you got beat and you KNOW IT...!

Old 07-08-2005, 10:46 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

you rank right up there with darth vader man...! LOL...! i hate to say it, but i blew the doors off a little ricer when we left the tolls tonight on the way home...! i left before he did, but i heard him winding the **** out of it and i just couldn't let him run away from me without showing the power of the psd...! he had just passed my front bumper when my turbo spooled up and suddenly he was fading back... i think he forgot to way anchor...! i let of at 70 and he was about 5 car lengths back... a few seconds later he goes screaming by... sorry charlie... you got beat and you KNOW IT...!
did you smell (rice a roni) as he went by???

man i u were running WVO we could have boos hogg over for a smorgeshborg!!! LOL

Old 07-09-2005, 06:00 AM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
did you smell (rice a roni) as he went by???

man i u were running WVO we could have boos hogg over for a smorgeshborg!!! LOL
lol..! well... no rice a roni.... more like burning oil... i think this guy was making alot more noise than hp...! i didn't feel like beat a camaro or something, i was just happy with how well my mule moved out when i stepped on it a bit... and i love the way the sonnax helps put the power on the ground...!

Quick Reply: tru-cool results...