Notices
2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine

Need help. Predator vs Superchips

Old 07-06-2005, 03:53 PM
#1Fordfreak
New User
#1Fordfreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
Need help. Predator vs Superchips

I have a 4.6 liter 04 SCREW with the following mods. Magnaflow exhaust with high flow cats and K&N intake. I would like to get a tunner but I'm not sure as which one I would like to purchase (Predator or Superchips). I would like to get the best bang for my buck. I don't want to go supercharger as of now, maybe a little later on. I think that I will purchase a MAS to replace the stock one at the same time I get the tunner. Can anyone help me out with this dilemma?fficeffice" /><O></O>

Last edited by #1Fordfreak; 07-06-2005 at 04:00 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:19 PM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
ChrisAdams is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by #1Fordfreak
I have a 4.6 liter 04 SCREW with the following mods. Magnaflow exhaust with high flow cats and K&N intake. I would like to get a tunner but I'm not sure as which one I would like to purchase (Predator or Superchips). I would like to get the best bang for my buck. I don't want to go supercharger as of now, maybe a little later on. I think that I will purchase a MAS to replace the stock one at the same time I get the tunner. Can anyone help me out with this dilemma?fficeffice" /><O></O>
Both are good, I have the Superchips, but there are four out there, someone will be along shortly to tell you why each one is better than the other. Which is part of the fun of being here.

If you want to compose in office, on this board, copy and past into notepad first, then copy and past from there into here. Fastest way to get that darn office formatting out.
Chris

Old 07-06-2005, 07:11 PM
64f10
Senior User
64f10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Predator is a great tuner if you want data logging and many points of customization ... Superchips micro nets you an extra built in tune so to speak ... The SCT Xcal2 gets you 3 chosen tunes with some customization and data logging. Then the SCT Xcal is a simple select one of your chosen 3 tunes loader. The predator is about 2x as fast to load tune over the original SCT Xcal. Not mentioned but almost equal to the micro is the hypertech... There are probably more little details ... but these are a quick summary off the top of my head. If you plan on changing gears or tire size the original SCT Xcal is probably not a good choice but the others are no problem change options.

Old 07-07-2005, 09:28 AM
m1garand1
Senior User
m1garand1 has a good reputation on FTE.m1garand1 has a good reputation on FTE.
And to add to the excellent info from 64f10, with the predator you can download the latest tune/update on your computer and update it yourself.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:27 PM
64f10
Senior User
Originally Posted by m1garand1
And to add to the excellent info from 64f10, with the predator you can download the latest tune/update on your computer and update it yourself.
Thanks ... but please note that the Xcalibrators also have a nice PC interface for control and updates etc... even the simple Xcal can be customized and updated via a PC serial cable ... so the Predator no longer holds the only claim to that space ... though IMO the Diablo folks maintain the generic tune space with regular updates better than the more custom tune providers such as is required/included with the SCT Xcals. But one must keep in mind that the custom tune updates are not really necessary ... unless you happen to have Ford update your PCM ... In that case the tune providers are usually quick to pull your file-adjust and email it to you so you can reload your selected tunes from your PC very similar to the Predator.

When compared to the micro or hypertech it seems Predator to be a no contest ... but with the Xcals... it's a different comparison/story.

I've got both the Predator and the Xcal ... have friends that run the micro and hypertech. Soon I'll be on my 3rd tuner with the Xcal2 upgrade if it ever comes out!? With it, I'll sell my Predator.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:45 PM
#1Fordfreak
New User
#1Fordfreak is starting off with a positive reputation.
64F10,

Would you suggest the Xcal or Predator for a first time tunner user? Do you think it would be a good idea to install a Granatelli mass air flow sensor at the same time I install the power program?

Old 07-07-2005, 08:23 PM
64f10
Senior User
Well ... I think it depends on future plans! ... The Predator is great and can certainly be purchased for less than an Xcal! As for the MAS ... I'd look at what you're ultimately after ... I wouldn't get the Granatelli MAS without the full intake that it was tested with. I don't know what all you've done and want to do ... but if you really want to go-go-go ... I'd look at SC or turbo and not get a tuner just yet! IMO ... I don't think the MAS is going to be much of a big value gain in itself. Think of the system as a whole and what you want from it... remember you are probably still going to have the adaptive strategy of the computer tuning things as it was designed to do! CEL's are not fun, so choose your changes with the system in mind!

I'd look to see what tuners your local tune shops work with ... it will most likely be one of the two. Then I'd get the tuner from them customized for your particular needs. When it comes to tuners ... they are basically ALL the same ... in that they load alternate code/settings into your PCM. It's these code/settings that really make the final difference ... not the tune loading device.

For example the Generic 87 or premium tune from any of the tuners will net you almost identical performance results at WOT. It's the little things at less than WOT that might make a difference and those things are only going to come from somebody that knows these particular rigs well! Mustang tunes are NOT the same! I didn't have a local tune shop that had no experience with these F150's even though they worked with the Predator tuners ... I know another person working with them to try and get things right and wasn't having much luck, so I chose an online accessable tune provider that specialized in our trucks and they got me real happy on the first shot!

Last edited by 64f10; 07-07-2005 at 08:26 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.