Sponsored by: DP Tuner

F-250 7.3L 03' Blown Tranny @ 56K

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2005, 12:48 PM
1953dave
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-250 7.3L 03' Blown Tranny @ 56K

I have a 2003 F-250 7.3L SD 4x4 that has blown it's tranny with only 56k on it! ????

Is this a common problem with Ford tranny's?
How many have experienced this issue!
Is there any recourse from Ford or do I just replace the tranny and sell it?

THe tranny lost all pump pressure and the Torque converter spun!

Old 07-03-2005, 05:51 PM
MasterTrim
Junior User
I have a 97 with a blown one too so, I feel your pain...

Old 07-03-2005, 07:01 PM
convincor
Senior User
How are you using your truck? Plowing? Towing?
Torque converters are known to be bad. when they go they take the trans with them.
Mine is currently out and being rebuilt be "Dynamic Racing Transmissions" in CT.
Billet converter, shift kit and all the other upgades that this trans needs for $2250.
Dealer wants $1988 for a stock rebuilt, which will have the same problems as original.
Check out "Pheonix Performance trans". Do a search on ebay. they are selling a performance trans with billet converter for $1975.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:11 PM
bodabdan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I installed a tranny from Phoenixhardparts.com about a year ago. I went for the upgraded Kevlar clutch pack, billet T/C, and 26,800 GVWR cooler. So far no complaints, and the business transaction went smooth. I was able to haggle a little on the price also.

Old 07-03-2005, 08:19 PM
Beechnut
Junior User
AM I missing something............a 2003 with 56K.......is the tranny not covered by the warranty.....

Old 07-04-2005, 12:23 AM
1953dave
New User
used for towing 33' rv 2 to 3 times a year is all! 4 horse trailer othertimes

Old 07-04-2005, 09:47 AM
RocknXJ
Senior User
Hey, they can go. Unfortunately it's not that unusual, although most of time they last pretty well. Like a few others just posted, I just replaced mine last week. I had a local shop that knows what they're doing do the rebuild, with billet 3disc converter, steel planetaries, upgraded clutches, sprag, shift kit, reworking of the pump, all the good stuff......$2600 installed. Mine had 126k on it, so I figured it was inevitable, and now it should be good to go for a very long time no matter how I use it.

Didn't make it 1000 miles after installing the Evo.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:09 PM
davodavo
New User
Don't do business with Phoenix hardparts: lousy products, scam artists

Originally Posted by bodabdan
I installed a tranny from Phoenixhardparts.com about a year ago. I went for the upgraded Kevlar clutch pack, billet T/C, and 26,800 GVWR cooler. So far no complaints, and the business transaction went smooth. I was able to haggle a little on the price also.
I cannot say enough bad things about Phoenix Hardparts aka Silverado Transmissions aka Phoenix Remanufactured Transmissions. Lousy product (remanufactured transmissions), appalling customer service, dishonest, more than happy to nail their customers.

Do not give them your money under any conditions.

Specific issues -- please use google to find wide confirmation of these patterns over years!

- I bought their deluxe extended warranty

- They promised transmission in 7-10 days.

- They couldn't find transmission to ship it on time

- They later claimed that the transmission was in dyno-test

- They later claimed they had to re-rebuild the tranny.

- Eventually they shipped defective transmission, plus it wasn't even the right kind for my car.

- Their delay cost me an extra $400 in car rental

- They authorized warranty repair of transmission to make it work in my car

Finally, the tranny is in the car after a month. Whoops: their transmission didn't work much better than the old one...but it was clear they didn't know how to do any better. I can live with it, long enough to sell the car (wasn't my plan, but is now...). Shifts roughly in forward and reverse, makes constant whirring noise.

I tried to ship old transmission back to them to get my $750 core exchange refund.

- they "couldn't find" a shipping authorization form for a week. they clearly didn't want me to ship it back

- finally, they let me ship it back

- they didn't respond to dozens of phone calls and emails

- they initially denied having received the core

- I filed a protest with my credit card dispute organization

- Phoenix gave the credit card company lots of misleading and erroneous info to confuse / delay the process

- eventually they admitted to having received the transmission months ago but whoops: it couldn't be rebuilt (so sorry, no refund!)

>>>>The transmission I sent them was nearly as functional as the one they sent me after rebuilding. All forward gears had been running properly, smooth shifting, no slippage or noise. Their claim was that the "overdrive set" was destroyed so the tranny couldn't be rebuilt. In fact, the overdrive set and everything else they claimed was un-rebuildable were fully functional. My mechanic wrote a letter attesting to this.

They never paid the transmission core exchange fee. time ran out with the credit card dispute.

- They also refused to pay the warranty coverage for the work I had done. Note that even if they had paid, the coverage would only be paying $260 out of a $750 charge.

Bottom line, this "$1200" transmission ended up costing me over $3500 in direct and consequential damages, all for a tranny that now doesn't shift properly and makes noise.

I'm sorry I ever thought of doing business with this company. If you want to know more, just reply to this and hopefully I can post more details.

Old 06-14-2008, 03:42 PM
farmdad
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Beechnut
AM I missing something............a 2003 with 56K.......is the tranny not covered by the warranty.....
My '03 with 81K is in the tranny shop also. After reading the owners manual, the warranty on the tranny is only 36,000 miles unless I read it wrong.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:37 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Beechnut
Powerstroke engine warranty is 5 years/100K miles, but the drivetrain, chassis, and everything else is 3 years/36K miles. Transmission is only covered under the 3 year.

The trans is the weak link on these trucks. Get a quality built unit (not the Ford remans), and it will last a long time. The 4r100 can be built to handle some insane power. I got mine from BTS, and it's the last transmission I'll have to buy for this truck. BTS is one of the top builders out there, and they have a spotless reputation. Brians Truck Shop

John Woods is another name you'll hear. He's got some quality stuff too. RacerX is newer on the scene, but his customers swear by him.

Old 06-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Markadeck
Gone, but not forgotten
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At nearly 209k I'm on my 3rd transmission. I really don't know whether to complain or not. I know I need a BTS or Woods, but just don't have the dinero. There is a real good chance my latest rebuild will outlast me, so my son and heir can worry about her after that.

Old 06-14-2008, 06:24 PM
danskool
Go Bills !
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine was in the trash at 40k. R & R in 2004 (ford Reman) According to Oasis and the markings on it.
Got another torque converter month or two ago. 90k.
Complete stock truck.
If mine so much as hickups again. I am going to spend some bucks and get a nice one built.

Old 06-14-2008, 11:37 PM
schmuly
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your tranny, there are some good ones out there. Mine is turning 208k miles next week and is the original tranny and tork. Lots of trannies going lately, I have my fingers crossed.

Colin

Old 06-15-2008, 12:04 AM
schmuly
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your tranny, there are some good ones out there. Mine is turning 208k miles next week and is the original tranny and tork. Lots of trannies going lately, I have my fingers crossed.

Colin

Old 06-15-2008, 01:44 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Mine went around 40-50 K I think but some how it was rebuilt under warrantee!!

Quick Reply: F-250 7.3L 03' Blown Tranny @ 56K