1973 - 1979 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Dentsides Ford Truck
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

What's better, Power Steering or Power Assist?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 01:08 AM
johnorser
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 03:40 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why is one better than the other, and how easy is it to retrofit onto a '70's truck?

Old 01-16-2003, 08:18 AM
fatdaddy
Posting Guru

gene , You can't get parts for the control valve with the power-assist system....plus they leak all the time...plus its going to cost you an arm\leg to buy replacement parts. The only way to go is to buy a 77.5(when they changed the system) to a 79 ps box for a f250 , 4x4 , that has 4 , 5/8 inch bolt holes and is designed to handle the workload of a relatively heavy truck with most of the load on the front axle. You have to disassemble the left front of your truck , remove the radiator , and get the psbox mounted to the frame which is a pain in the ****.....but well worth it when finished!!!!!Send me an email and i'll forward some pictures that were shared with me. They show , in detail, WHAT the job looks like......fd

Old 01-16-2003, 10:38 AM
hawkrod
Elder User

also keep in mind that the full time power steering is a pleasure to drive and has a much better feel. i have a 77 1/2 and 35 inch tires and it steers as easily as my wifes minvan. the box was well designed and has good road feel and is definitely one of fords better ideas! the downside is that cores are expensive unless you can get one from a low dollar wrecker. even the ones on e-bay are selling for way too much once you factor in shipping. although if you do get one from e-bay you will usually pay less than the cost of a core at the local auto parts store! hawkrod

Old 01-17-2003, 02:49 AM
GeneStoner
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will the 4x4 steering box work on a 2wd truck?
How hard is it to rig up the lines?

Old 01-17-2003, 09:17 AM
hawkrod
Elder User

2wheel drive got the full time power steering from the get go. its just 4X4 that got the assist and then later the full time. hawkrod

Old 01-17-2003, 01:19 PM
okiebronco
Senior User

i use powersteering and the power assist that attaches to the center link under the front end the company that makes that piece made by agr called the rock ram. it turns my 44s no problem at all

Old 01-17-2003, 03:48 PM
dfisher1
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gene,
If you want to convert a 2wd from manual to power steering, you'll need the power steering column, powersteering gear, the pump, and the brackets. Its not that bad. Just go to a junkyard and start pulling.
My Way is the Highway,
KingFisher
P.S. Gene are you a celebrity or something? Your name sounds very familiar?

Old 01-31-2003, 09:39 AM
wabiker
Posting Guru

Just priced the pwr steer gear box at checker auto the other day...165.95 + core...Cardone rebuilt...Im getting mine on payday...

Old 01-31-2003, 04:28 PM
Ken2600
Elder User

How can you tell the difference? I have a 77 F-150 that I always thought was just standard power steering but now I'm not sure.

Old 02-01-2003, 12:12 PM
CHinz
New User

Integral System (1973-79): Power steering pump is connected to the steering gear by two hoses.

Linkage System (1973-79): Power steering pump hoses connected to the control valve, not the steering gear. Also this system has a piston-type cylinder assisting the steering linkage. It looks similar to a shock or steering stabilizer. It has two hydraulic hoses coming from the control valve and is located right next to your front differential.

Last edited by CHinz; 02-01-2003 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-06-2003, 11:22 AM
talk2ted
New User

Hi there, I have a 77 3/4 ton 4x4 high profile that I would like to convert to the power steering gearbox. Could you send me some info on what kind of gearbox I could replace the manual one with, and if I would need to change the pitman arm or any linkage? Also, could you forward me the pic's that you mentioned in your post?
Thanks for your help!

Talk2Ted

Originally posted by fatdaddy
gene , You can't get parts for the control valve with the power-assist system....plus they leak all the time...plus its going to cost you an arm\leg to buy replacement parts. The only way to go is to buy a 77.5(when they changed the system) to a 79 ps box for a f250 , 4x4 , that has 4 , 5/8 inch bolt holes and is designed to handle the workload of a relatively heavy truck with most of the load on the front axle. You have to disassemble the left front of your truck , remove the radiator , and get the psbox mounted to the frame which is a pain in the ****.....but well worth it when finished!!!!!Send me an email and i'll forward some pictures that were shared with me. They show , in detail, WHAT the job looks like......fd

Old 02-12-2003, 02:34 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up What's better, Power Steering or Power Assist?

FYI. Eugene Stoner invented one of the first variations of a firearm that later was adopted by the U.S. Military as the M-16. It was a lightweight, magazine fed, gas operated,air cooled, shoulder fired weapon.

Just in case you needed to know.

-edited- WOW -Where did this come from, GC Forum??? Talk about topic bleed!

Last edited by Torque1st; 02-12-2003 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:28 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy What's better, Power Steering or Power Assist?

Sorry....

Old 02-13-2003, 11:46 PM
deputy
Junior User
Smile What's better, Power Steering or Power Assist?

A POWER STEERING BOX FROM A TWO WHEEL DRIVE F-250 WILL WORK. I USED A BOX FROM A 77 1/2 TO CONVERT MY 74 HIGH BOY. I DID A BUDDIES WITH THE BOX OFF A 79 F-250. I IS VERY SIMILAR TO THE OTHER BOX EXCEPT IT IS LONGER, AND BOLTS ON WITH THREE HOLES. THE EXTRA LENGTH MAKES IT EASIER TO GET THE PITMAN ARM TO CLEAR THE BOTTOM OF THE FRAME. THE TWO WHEEL DRIVE BOX IS EASIER & CHEAPER TO COME BY. MY FRIEND HAS BEEN RUNNING IT FOR 5 YEARS AND LOVES IT. GOOD LUCK.

Quick Reply: What's better, Power Steering or Power Assist?