Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Great FORD video comparing to all others

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 10:50 PM
cstrail
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Great FORD video comparing to all others

This is a great video about Ford comparing to Toyota, Nissan, Chevrolet. Dissected each truck to show why Ford is STILL #1.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f...22735667822378

91 Ford F-250 Supercab with 460 Beast!!!!

Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 AM
Al Bundy
Senior User
I have a f-250, and it doesnt have a boxed frame

Old 06-29-2005, 06:57 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
But the 150 does and that is what they are talking about.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:41 AM
flashman1
Junior User
I thought the Dodge 1500 had a hydroformed boxed frame.

Old 06-29-2005, 11:23 AM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
It does, thats why they never mentioned it. They didn't really compare that much to the Dodge for some reason.

Best as always.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:30 PM
SpartanDieselTech
Former Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, they showed the boxed Dodge frame. Did you happen to notice that the Ford frame cross-section was nearly double in overall size?

Old 06-29-2005, 12:49 PM
resqpink
Junior User
Best at what? I've had a couple, and can't think of anything.

Old 06-29-2005, 01:04 PM
Armada
Senior User
Ford makes some excellent points in the video, but it is a promotional video. The fact comparisons are highly selective. The fully boxed frame is an example, as has been pointed out here. The Titan is fully boxed and the Ram is both boxed and hydroformed too.

Does anyone know just how much more "girth" Ford is talking about? Does this extra "girth" contribute to some powerstealing weight? At some point, "more" girth does not contribute to the mission of the truck, but does adversely affect performance.

I don't know where that point is, frankly, but more than one loyal Ford owner here and many people in the truck media have commented negatively on the extra weight over the last generation F-150 as being both unnecessary and a major contributor to what some have considered to be sluggish engine performance. Many, myself included, wish Ford could find a way to shed about 300 lbs.

Some here have speculated that the frame is now "too rigid" and that this is a contributing factor to the "vibration" issue. I don't know about that either, but that is the talk. Thankfully, most new F-150 owners are not having the problem.

The F-250 is NOT fully boxed and I don't think anyone is gonna say that is a wimpy frame because it is not! My older F-250 7.3 diesel does not have a fully boxed frame. Good solid ladder frame - yes, fully boxed - no. At almost 450,000 miles, I have never even thought about the possibility that the frame might not be up to the task. That truck runs with at or near maximum load capacity almost every day.

The F-150 and the Titan recently got highest ratings in federal crashworthiness testing. We should be proud that the Ford did slightly better in one of the tests, but both got the highest ratings, considerably better than others.

And while on safety, I didn't see anything in the video comparing trucks on such factors as which models have electronic stability control. In emergency avoidance maneuvers, or in wet, snowy, icy conditions, or when we just do something stupid and misjudge how fast we can enter a tight corner, this can prevent a skid before it can happen and save our lives and those of other people out there on the roads near us.

Uh, where is the powertrain part of the video - engine and tranny comparisons? Did I miss that?

There are good things to be said about a number of trucks in the 1/2 ton market and Ford has perhaps more good things to say than most.

Thus, there are a lot of great reasons to buy a F-150, but I wouldn't rely on a manufacturer's carefully assembled video, not any manufacturer, in making my final decision, because the manufacturer is not going to feature an issue in which it cannot claim an advantage over the competition.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:21 PM
tkondro
Senior User
I have never figured out why the one user has to write "best as always" all the time. Maybe because Dodge has always been the best? I highly doubt it.

All the manufacturers can make their own video to make it look like their truck is better in some aspects. Its all based on what they think is better. I will agree that by watching that video it makes you lean towards the Ford, but then again is half of that stuff necessary?

Whens the last time someone loaded their truck onto a courier ship lifting it up by the bed? I have never seen a bed fall off of a truck, so why is this necessary to market the huge bed bolts. The boxed frame is massive compared to the dodge but wouldn't a fully boxed frame that is smaller do the same thing if not be better. The oil filter matters because why, I don't know maybe we should all put a oil filter off of a big rig since bigger is better. The videos show the Ford is better than the competitors, but when the competitors are closely matched it fails to mention that by disregarding the comparison to the truck. Namely the Dodge and maybe the Titan in some cases.

Ultimately it comes down to the philosophy of the engineers that designed the truck. If everyone thought the same we all might be driving a Dodge, but thank god for that.

Old 06-29-2005, 02:40 PM
GOP
Junior User
Thats an interesting video and I enjoyed watching it, but it was produced by Ford and therefore should be viewed with skepticism. Im sure Dodge, Chevy, Nissan, or Toyota could produce a similar video and come to the same conclusion about their trucks

I drive an F-150 because I think its the best truck on the road, not because of a video produced by Ford's marketing department.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:07 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
Let’s make it clear, only specific parts are compared, and only to other manfactor's parts that appear to be inferior as far as size etc... No actual testing was performed.

It’s all propaganda that needs to be viewed within that context.

Old 06-29-2005, 03:53 PM
Armada
Senior User
Originally Posted by GOP
I drive an F-150 because I think its the best truck on the road, not because of a video produced by Ford's marketing department.
Amen. We should love our Fords because they are the right truck for the job they perform and not because some advertising executive says we should.

But still, it is an interesting video. Fun to watch. Just have to take some of it with a grain of salt.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:32 PM
ARMORER
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford's frame is massive, though. It really makes the chevy look bad in that department. Propaganda.....sure. But impressive nonetheless.

Old 06-29-2005, 09:49 PM
MemOrex
Postmaster
Originally Posted by tkondro
I have never figured out why the one user has to write "best as always" all the time. Maybe because Dodge has always been the best? I highly doubt it.
Its just his signature I think.

Old 06-29-2005, 10:08 PM
Musclecar_Fan
Senior User
Smile

Nope. It started as best regards, now its just "Best as always." just a little something to end posts on a friendly note.

Best as always.

Quick Reply: Great FORD video comparing to all others