1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-1999, 05:51 PM
Teo
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Seeking advice regarding the drop-in K&N filter vrs. the cone (kit) that replaces the airbox. Is the $135 step cost effective in terms of additional improvement in MPG?
Thanks in advance.

Teo
92' F150, 4.9L, 4x4
97' Fjord 850

Old 06-25-1999, 09:28 AM
H8monday
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Depends who you talk to and which engine application.The full kit has an unrestricted air line,and supposedly draws air from a cooler location in the engine bay.I beleive Ford has already done a decent job of positioning there air box in most applications.If you remove all of the restrictive components of the stock system,(such as venturi effect tubes),I would say the replacement fiter is just as affective as the kit.That would be a general consensus of most of the truck owners that Ive off roaded or raced with also.However the kit looks great when accenting an already well detailed engine.
Jeff

Old 06-25-1999, 12:48 PM
Teo
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Thanks for the feedback. I will deal with the venturi effect tubes and go with the drop-in K&N air filter.

Also, I was looking at the stock setup again this morning and I got to thinking how a simple mod to the air intake duck might "ram the bore" with a little more air (cooler too) when the F150 is in motion. I noted the air inlet duck is NOT open directly from the grill. Rather, it's offset to the side a little and pointed to the left. I'm thinking a hacksaw would make short order of the curved tip. From there a simple, fabricated duck could channel the air directly from a opening in the grill.

Any thoughts on this? I gotta believe I'm not the first wrench to think this one up!

Teo
92' F150, 4x4, 4.9L
97' Fjord 850

Old 06-27-1999, 02:09 AM
sctate
New User
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Also definately worth considered what you intend to use the truck for...and where you live! The complete re-routing kits are largely designed and specified for Off-Road Use only - and they yield about 5-10% better performance (significant for serious off-roaders, dragging, racing, etc), where the drop-in will save you money and give you the benfits right off...

I have the drop-in for my '94 Bronco (5.8L) and '98 Mustang (4.6L) - my race car is an '89 Mustang (5.0...ISH hehe) and it has the complete system...

Just my two cents! And your 12,000 cents (if you opt for the full system - yuck yuck)

Old 06-28-1999, 04:21 PM
Teo
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit

Thanks for your comments and help.
I went the drop-in filter route (no venturi effect tubes were to be found and, no evidence they ever existed was indicated). Anyhow, I immediately achieved an increase of 1.7 MPG around town on the filter alone. No other performance modifications of any kind have been made to this vehicle.

As for increased horse-pressure...well...it just feels more lively and responsive. Very cheap upgrade givin' the results.

I plan on frabicating an inlet duck (covered with screen) at the grill and connecting it to the stock inlet channel as discussed b/4. I'll report if anything noteworthy is achieved.

Teo

Old 06-29-1999, 09:35 AM
H8monday
Senior User
K&N Drop-in vrs. kit