Sponsored by: DP Tuner

NAPA 6637 vs. Ford AIS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 01:44 PM
cedman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NAPA 6637 vs. Ford AIS

Like there's not enough discussion about filters/air intake systems....

If you were to spend $0.00 dollars... say it's a gift, or you found them both on the sidewalk or they fell out of the sky..........

Which would you prefer? Ok, the 6637 is cheaper than the AIS. Does the AIS give similar performance results? If they're close, I'd try finding an AIS system at the junkyard. Hey, it's a long shot but I might get lucky!

What are your thoughts???? Anyone????

CedricR.

Old 06-21-2005, 02:08 PM
Max1775
Elder User
Under the circumstances, I'd have the AIS. Very good setup in my opinion, looks better, and performs very well...

Max

Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
With a fender boot added to it and a zoodad the AIS would flow great and filter great.

Old 06-21-2005, 04:30 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
Yeah, with-OUT the fender boot, the AIS doesn't flow as well as the Napa filter. The airbox restricts the flow. WITH the fender boot, the flow would be closer and more than adequate for street performance needs. Still, the Napa will flow somewhat better.

Filtration? The AIS is great. The Napa is great. I dont' know which is better. As far as I have read, I'd rely on either one for filtration - either would be VASTLY better than the original stock box.

I have a Tymar - same as the Napa, but cost more. I got it because I didn't trust the stock box. Which do you prefer? If you are still on warranty, I'd recommend the AIS because it is completely backed by Ford. If not, I'd save the money and get the Napa.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:07 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bigdaddyTank
With a fender boot added to it and a zoodad the AIS would flow great and filter great.
i think bdt has it nailed... i would prefer the ais with the boot... but the 6637, when purchased from fleetfilter.com for $18 and change is a hard deal to beat... and i don't think you could get any more air to flow that that filter does, and it still does a pretty good job filtering... i know it doesn't filter as good as the ais, but buy the time you get enough miles, (hundereds of thousands), on your mule to get to where it would have made a difference... it's time to rebuild your mule anyway... i'm sorry but.. i just don't see the difference in the two systems as being enough to justify $250 or so for the ais... then $60 and change everytime you need to change the filter... that's a TON more money for a just a little bit better filtering capability... if it's all that critical to our mules.... ford should have put the ais on from the factory...!

Old 06-21-2005, 06:33 PM
HeatStroked
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by johnny8
i think bdt has it nailed... i would prefer the ais with the boot... but the 6637, when purchased from fleetfilter.com for $18 and change is a hard deal to beat... and i don't think you could get any more air to flow that that filter does, and it still does a pretty good job filtering... i know it doesn't filter as good as the ais, but buy the time you get enough miles, (hundereds of thousands), on your mule to get to where it would have made a difference... it's time to rebuild your mule anyway... i'm sorry but.. i just don't see the difference in the two systems as being enough to justify $250 or so for the ais... then $60 and change everytime you need to change the filter... that's a TON more money for a just a little bit better filtering capability... if it's all that critical to our mules.... ford should have put the ais on from the factory...!
Two primary reasons I chose the AIS:

1. I live in the desert, very dusty environment. I run my PSD hard and wanted the very best in filtration.

2. At the time I purchased the AIS (2 years ago), I did not have any performance mods done to my PSD which could result in voiding of the warranty. To keep my warranty, I chose the AIS as it is the only intake system that is approved by Ford and will not void warranty.

Old 06-21-2005, 07:07 PM
johnny8
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HeatStroked
Two primary reasons I chose the AIS:

1. I live in the desert, very dusty environment. I run my PSD hard and wanted the very best in filtration.

2. At the time I purchased the AIS (2 years ago), I did not have any performance mods done to my PSD which could result in voiding of the warranty. To keep my warranty, I chose the AIS as it is the only intake system that is approved by Ford and will not void warranty.
those are the best reasons to buy the ais... i don't live in a dusty part of the country... and my warranty is just about up.. although i will say.. even a ford rep would have an IMPOSSIBLE task to convince me that the 6637 doesn't filter as well as the stock filter system... taking that opinion would be utter foolishness..!

Old 06-22-2005, 04:38 AM
slack
Junior User
What are you referring to as the fender boot? I also like my ais and went with that because of warranty issues.

Old 06-22-2005, 08:05 AM
bigdaddyTank
Elder User
Originally Posted by slack
What are you referring to as the fender boot? I also like my ais and went with that because of warranty issues.
Go HERE at blackclouddiesel.com and at the bottom of the page they have the AIS with the boot. You drill a hole in the side of the AIS box and the rubber boot goes in it and into the fender opening for an extra air intake. Add that and do a zoodad mod wich is cutting out the header panel in front of were the front air intake picks up. More air getting in.

Old 06-22-2005, 10:57 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like the AIS, and Ford does now think it's so good it is a stock item - every 6.0 PSD has basically the same setup.

Also, the element may cost more, but not only does it filter better, it lasts longer. You may replace 3 or 4 paper elements before I have to replace my AIS one.

Lastly, check out the TDS archives. A Donaldson engineer posted lots of good information about the AIS element vs. pleated paper. It turns out that the AIS box flows more air than the Tymar-type filters.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:09 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
The Napa filter may flow more air, but even the AIS flows more air than you can use. So either way you're good to go. I personally chose the AIS for warranty reasons as opposed to the Tymar set up... before the "Kwik" setup came to be. I personally also like the cleaner look of the AIS.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:11 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
P.S.
Oppy, I meant to give you props for your post.

Old 06-22-2005, 12:15 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Why thank you!

Old 06-22-2005, 12:28 PM
LuLuGoin2ADiesel
Elder User
Consequently, does anybody have the link for the guy that sells the replacement AIS filters on EBay? I can't find them.....

Old 06-22-2005, 12:39 PM
oppy
Laughing Gas

Quick Reply: NAPA 6637 vs. Ford AIS