Bronco II Ford Bronco II

oh i think i found heaven!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 10:07 PM
Cootvon
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking oh i think i found heaven!!!

Hi everyone... my name is jeff. i have a 87 B2 4wd 2.9L. I have always wanted to learn to fix it from one end to the other.. but never had another car to use in the downtime! I need to do a lot of work...but I don't think anything major (although i welcome the learning experience if it is warranted).

It has 150k miles (80 of it on a rebuilt engine--thanks to the guy i found that rebuilt it and replaced the clutch for 800$ WOO HOO.. where do i find him again?!!)

major problems i hear and feel:

front brakes need overhaul with rotor replacement as well.
lifters are clanky and always have been
oil is being leaked somewhere, causing smoke from the main engine block (as best i can tell). the leak is maybe a quart over 3 months.

After those main things i want to move on to the clutch, as the pedal is engaging further and further off the floor--it also slips intermittently (once a week) on a hill when moving into 3rd/4th gear.

so first things first... thanks for having me.. looks like a great bunch here.

--as for the oil leak. what's the best way to clean everything in the engine compartment...then start it to find the leak? right now there is oil gunk everywhere.

I envision this truck as my first project truck. I love it and am not ready to part with it!

thanks for the responses,

jeff

Old 06-16-2005, 11:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around heaven .....someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Ademero
New User
Hey Jeff, nice to meet you, i'm Rick, i've got a 87 Eddie Bauer 4x4 auto.

To clean up the engine, use a good degreaser, let it sit for a while and then rinsing it down really good with a garden hose, you can also scrub it with a bristle brush as well. Make sure you keep away from any sensitive electronics or the distributor. I washed mine with a pressure washer and had some hesitation for a day, got something wet

I know these engines love to leak oil from the valve covers, I replaced mine when I bought it. Have a look around them, the smoke is probably the oil burning on the exhaust manifolds.

Old 06-17-2005, 08:52 AM
Spaznaut
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I usually take mine to the car wash and use the tire cleaner stuff and then rinse. Put a bag over the distributor and try not to hit it directly. It may take a few sessions if the 'gunk' is thick. Putting in a clutch will be quite an undertaking for a newb but a great learning experience. May wanna see about installing a rear seal at the same time you do that.
I'm not sure about what's involved with B2 rotors so I'll let someone else chime in about that.

Good luck with it.

Old 06-17-2005, 10:38 PM
dirtybroncoii
Senior User
Well I know it sounds counter productive but I go mudding and cover my engine with mud. When the mud dries it absorbs the oil also it helps locate the leaks cause you can easily see where it is leaking from due to the light color of the mud/dirt.