Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

did the a/c conversion, now there is extra wires

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes....That's the one your looking for, I think....Does it have white bullet connectors on the big brown wire?
What kind of connectors are on the bronco harness?
I pulled my dash loose just to make sure....and that's how mine is plugged in. Let me know what connectors are on the Bronco harness so I can tell you where to put each wire.
Doc.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:36 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
yes it has white connectors the bronco has slide clips

Old 06-16-2005, 05:43 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
OK! Now we're getting some where. The slide clips on the bronco harness....One should be male, and one female....correct?
Do you have time to meet me at FTE chat to sort the rest of this out?
Doc.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:44 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

one is male the red one and the orange was female but it broke off so i am thinking of just replacing them with bullet connectors as the other is very brittle.

Old 06-16-2005, 05:57 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Gashog, I had to do the same thing....My A/C harness had blade connectors, my cab had bullet connectors. I went to the wrecking yard and got the correct bullet connectors to fit in to the cab harness. I cut the blade connectors off. I soldered the bullet connectors where the blade connectors were. I put the shrink wrap over the splices, taped up the harness and plugged it in.
One of the blade connectors should be a male, replace that one with a male bullet connector. The other blade connector should be female...replace that one with a female bullet, and your in business. I did mine as I described, and everything works perfectly. Let me know what happens. If it doesn't work....which I'm positive it will....we'll figure out how to make it work.
One last thing...when I went to the wreckers and got the correct bullet connectors for my harness, I cut the wires pretty long, so that I would have plenty to work with, and so I could get the splices far enough down the harness to hide them in the tape. I also staggerd the splices where I wouldn't have a big fat place in the middle of my harness. Nobody is going to stick their head under my dash to see an ugly splice, but I would still know it's there and it would bug me to death.
Doc.

Old 06-16-2005, 06:04 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

thanks for you help i am going right now to get some bullet connectors. this project was kind of sudden i thought of it the other night when i read your thread then the next day i went to the junkyard and bought the a/c setup. i still need to get the condensor and compressor and some new lines made. but the whole thing cost me 23.00. have you been able to test yours yet, does it blow cold and what type of refrigerent did you use. i also added to your reputation score because you have been awesome.thanks

Old 06-16-2005, 06:42 PM
docholiday72tx
Posting Guru
Actualy, I haven't put the condensor or dryer on mine yet. I've been preocupied on something else lately. I do know my blower motor blows at all the correct speeds like it should, the heater works realy well, and all the vents work like they should. I'm not sure on the type of refrigerant yet. I don't realy want to use R12, because I like to do ALL my own work. I'm kind of torn between 134A and a fairly new product called Freezone.
I just thought of something else also....you have that one small harness that goes from the control panel to the black box....But you also have another small harness that goes from the box to out side the fire wall. Do you have that harness plugged in yet? If not, plug it in before you get the bullet connectors, because your going to need one more on it. There will be a short black wire with a ring connector that goes on to a screw and in to the body. This is the same type of ground wire that your old heater box had, and screws to the same place the same way. You will have a long black wire with a bullet connector. This gets plugged in to the wire coming from the compressor. You will have a third wire, on mine it is a black wire with a yellow stripe, yours may be orange. This wire will probably have one of the blade connectors, but it needs to be a bullet connector, and it will plug in to the out side cab harness where the hot wire from your heater box was before.
Let me know how it all turns out, or if you need any help.
Thank you for the adding to the reputation thing. It has been a pleasure to help. I eat breath and sleep old trucks. lol
Do you have a condensor and dryer yet? If not, there are some things that you probably should know about them.
Doc

Old 06-16-2005, 11:23 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-mails sent to both of you