1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Electric-hydraulic power steering?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 02:57 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Electric-hydraulic power steering?

I thought from previous threads that there was a way to use an 12V electric pump to run a power steering rack, instead of using the usual belt-run pump off the front of the engine.

In doing a web search, I only find electric-assisted power steering, which is too light for our trucks.

Please edify me. Is the electric-hydraulic system doable? What are the components used? Is an adjustable pressure-regulating valve usually required? What psi is required? I will be using an MII power rack.

I'm interested in this system because I once had an Eldo that suddenly steered like a boulder when the motor quit. Thanks...

Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
I've never heard of it done, but thats probably not saying much. I would think that coming up with a pump would be easy enough, you could probably adapt one from a dump bed unit. There should be numerous 12v hydraulic pumps available. Overall it sounds like a whole new set of headaches to me, but it would be interesting

I know alot of the serious rock crawler types are going with full hydraulic steering similar to forklifts and other equipment but that wouldn't be too feasible for on street driving (can you imiagine what might happen the engine died while flying down the highway?)

Wait about 30 minutes, as soon as AXracer is done engineering the tilt hood he will apply his genius to the steering. (I couldn't resist the jab AX)

Bobby

Old 06-15-2005, 05:41 PM
51dueller
Lead Driver
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
You can still turn a hydraulic power steering system. The control valve acts like a pump. It would be like a power steering box without pressure. If done right it can be more durable than a standard power steering box. You can use a standard power steering pump to run it.

Old 06-15-2005, 05:46 PM
rogerf100
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did find an electric power steering pump on the web once, but the asking price was too steep for the one I found, several hundred dollars if I remember right. It would be nice not to have the pump on the engine though.

Found an interesting article on electric power steering, no hydraulics. http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/030820/11/ugrz.html

Last edited by rogerf100; 06-15-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 06:59 PM
rogerf100
Elder User
I just found some info on a late '80s Subaru XT6 that used an electric power steering pump. Might be something you could find in the junk yards.

Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Randy Jack

Google this in quotes "electric power steering pump"

GM is testing a full size hybred pickup that uses electric power steering, seems as if there are quite a few vehicles out there with this setup.
I'd be interested in this using a Toyota Box on my 48. Can't/won't hang a pump off a Flatmotor.

Old 06-15-2005, 09:31 PM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Smile

http://www.motorgeek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1701

This is the best I have found to date. I printed it out for later reference

Old 06-15-2005, 10:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I think the electro-hydraulic systems are a "band-aid" for cars that don't have room for a belt-driven pump, whereas the industry is headed towards electric-assisted steering on new cars (for the usual reason: cost). Did you catch the 80 amp draw on the Subaru unit?? Not going to get there with a generator.

I (think) I understand what 4TL8 is saying, aesthetics is a big consideration, but I wonder if using one of the modern pumps that is set up for remote reservoir wouldn't make an acceptable set-up, much more conventional? The ones used with Camaros and other GM's is mighty small, and is driven off the back side of the belt. Seems like it would be easy to put it on the backside of an existing (lengthened) belt, down low where it wouldn't be seen? PS-- 4TL8, I can send you a pic of a flattie with not only PS but A/C and alternator! Anything is possible, if not pretty.

I had to turn the wheels on my Camaro (with P275/40ZR17's) in the garage, engine off, and I thought the rack and/or column would break!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I did an eBay search for "electric power steering pump" and got "power steering pumps", "electric pumps", "steering pumps" and "electric steering"...but not what I was interested in. Not even the very pricy pump I found last time (from a Saab or Volvo, or something). Maybe this is a pipe dream. OR, maybe I need to invent one.

I'm just the kind of person who likes the idea of always having steering and brakes, even if the engine quits. With this system, the power steering would be there as long as the battery had a charge. It's kind of like the vacuum resevoir I plan to put in-line with the power brake booster. A belt-and-suspenders kind of deal.

Anybody got an idea where to start to find an 12V electric motor (maybe with gear reduction drive?) that could turn a power steering pump?

Old 06-16-2005, 12:43 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I just saw a remote mount mechanical PS pump in the new products page of one of my rod mags. I believe the M2 rack requires a higher pressure than a recirc ball box like the Toy. I say that because the write up says the RMP can be ordered set to M2 rack pressure output.

Old 06-16-2005, 12:45 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

AX - Please tell me more! What mag? What is the pump like?

Old 06-16-2005, 12:48 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Have to be a pretty hefty electric motor and battery. Ever notice the RPM drop on the engine when you crank the wheels full over. When I was searching for PS hoses the engineer at Gates told me the line pressure at that point is close to 2K psi!!!!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:49 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Randy,
Why not just go with the full electric power steering. I did a google search and it seems like there are more and more of them out there (Honda, Subaru, Delphi Systems (didn't they used to be AC Delco) etc.

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Technical/eps.htm, http://www.delphi.com/pdf/s/str_esteer.pdf,
http://www.freescale.com/webapp/sps/...02Wcbf07jS1504

All you gotta do is find yourelf one of the enemies trucks (GMC) with the quadrasteer system and pirate the parts.........no wait.........just put your truck body on that fra................................

AAAAGGHHH!!

.............sorry........rectal cranial inversion took over there for a minute

Bobby

Old 06-16-2005, 12:54 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
I just got the latest issues of Classic Truck, Custom Rodder, and Street Rodder so it was one of the 3. May not be on the newsstand yet tho, I get them by subs. I only gave it passing notice since I already had my engine mounted PS pump. I may be pulling an allnighter at work tonight and won't be able to check on it until tomorrow eve or Sat. Looked pretty much like a std PS pump?

Old 06-16-2005, 12:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
I'd bet one of the lowrider hydraulic pumps will do what you need. Have you seen the batteries they carry, tho?! Maybe due to doing all their stunts at idle or even parked. Military stuff uses a lot of hydraulics too, maybe a surplus store? But would probably be 24v.

Quick Reply: Electric-hydraulic power steering?