Pioneer AVIC-D1

Old 06-14-2005, 02:54 PM
trojanman1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-D1

Does anyone know if this unit will fit in my 2005 F250? Crutchfield says no, but they have been wrong before.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2005, 06:53 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
it fits, its a standard din style radeo

Old 06-14-2005, 06:59 PM
Pittsburgh-05HD
Senior User
sorry i thought you ment the n1. I am 99% sure it will not fit. On our 2005 the radeo got smaller than the 04's

Old 06-22-2005, 07:52 PM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
If you find a way to make it work, I'd sure like to hear about it. I bought an AVIC-D1 on ebay the other day and have pulled the factory radio out of my '05 F350. The D1 will fit in the hole, but it seems I'll have to make a special bracket for it, as the hole is NOT standard double DIN size. Also, I'm having a very hard time finding a wiring harness that will plug into the Ford wiring. I bought one on ebay last week and it wasn't even close. Seems the '05 connector has changed from past ones. Here's a picture of the connector I need to plug on to: http://mgawley.com/f350_radio_connector.jpg Can anyone out there help?

Old 06-23-2005, 11:24 AM
Viper TT
Junior User
I'm working on installing this unit in my 05 F250. I'm starting with the Crutchfield 2004+ F150 install kit and will work from there.

The bezel in the Crutchfield kit appears to fill in the void between the screen and the dash panel.

Old 06-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
What model install kit (part number) are you using? Does it come with the wiring harness adapter, or is it just for the mechanical part of the installation?

Old 06-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
I think I found the kit you are talking about on the Crutchfield site. Looking at the pictures, one problem I see is that the 4 mounting tabs appear to be only about an inch behind the alignment tabs, where in my f350 they are more like 3 inches. But if the bezel matches the hole in the dash, you could probably make up the difference with a piece of wood on each side with two holes drilled in them and long screws.

I have my AVIC-D1 sitting in a box in my house and it kills me to not have it mounted in the truck, but I don't want to rush into things and do a crappy job. Please post your progress.

Last edited by Pau Hana; 06-23-2005 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Link didn't work right
Old 06-23-2005, 12:36 PM
trojanman1
Junior User
Pau,

Where are you located?

Old 06-23-2005, 12:55 PM
Viper TT
Junior User
They only list one kit for the 2004+ F150.

I'm thinking the bezel will have to be siliconed to the backside of the dash.
Included in the kit are 2 plastic angle brackets. These brackets will attach to the recess in the dash and to the casing of the Pioneer. These brackets are not shown in the Crutchfield website picture for some reason. The trick will be to align these two brackets to locate the headunit properly for the dash.

I'm using a 2004 F150 wiring harness adapter and the unit is working great without the speed sensor wire or reverse wire connected as of yet.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:13 PM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
Sounds good! Based upon this, I guess I'll order the F150 kit and harness adapter and work on it here too. Do you have it propped up in the dash hole for testing now? Also, have you figured out where the speed sonsor wire is yet? I signed up last night for one month access to Ford's wiring diagrams, so maybe I can be of help there. I'm still trying to figure out how to browse through them.

I assume you are not going to use the mounting cage that comes with the Pioneer but, rather, attach the unit itself to the Crutchfield brackets.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:15 PM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
Just moved to Washington state from Hawaii. You must have recognized the handle.

Originally Posted by trojanman1
Pau,

Where are you located?

Old 06-24-2005, 07:54 AM
Viper TT
Junior User
Ok, I have the preliminary mount completed and the dash fitted. It is very close but, not perfect.

It definitely takes some patience and some grinding on the brackets. Sorry I have not taken any pics yet, but will once I take the dash back off to get the alignment correct.

I am not using the factory Pioneer cage or the Crutchfield cage. Just the Crutchfield bezel and the plastic angle brackets.

You will need to purchase button head M5x.80 screws with flat washers to fit the mounting holes in the side of the Pioneer. If I remember correctly, they are ~15mm long, but I would purchase different lengths while you're there. You don't want them too long where they will touch the inside components.

These are the basic steps I have taken as of yet:

1. Grind the inside raised areas of the bezel until the bezel fits the Pioneer face. It will be obvious what to grind when you try and place the bezel around the face.

2. Start by attaching the angle brackets to the side of the Pioneer using the M5 screws. The angles are labeled Left and Right. I installed them with the angle going towards the rear of the unit. You will need to grind the mounting holes in the brackets to allow the Pioneer to move as forward and low as possible.

3. Start by mounting the Pioneer to the inside dash holes using the 4 factory screws and holes. There are 2 holes on the forward side of the mounting area where the pegs on the bezel can insert in and locate the bezel. Note, this is not the exact location of the bezel, but definitely very close. Once you get the alignment correct, you will notice the Pioneer is most likely still not forward enough to fill the gap.

4. Use small flat washers to move the Pioneer forward via the 4 factory mounting holes. Eventually you may need to purchase longer screws to replace the 4 factory screws. This is where I left off.

Currently the unit sits well but is slightly off to one side by ~.100". In addition the top side of the Pioneer is correctly oriented with the dash, but the bottom side is still ~.125 sunk in and needs to moved forward.

Ironically, the Screen Angle button on the Pioneer alleviated the bottom position problem. But once you turn the unit off, the screen retracts until it is powered back on.

I would prefer the unit sit perfectly without using the screen angle function.

I will say this is not for the faint hearted as it will require some creativity.

Last edited by Viper TT; 06-24-2005 at 08:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:09 AM
Viper TT
Junior User
Also, functionally speaking I've been messing with the Nav portion for a couple of days. I actually disconnected the speed sensor wire because I did not like the 3D view and prefer the 2D view. To my knowledge, you cannot obtain the 2D view with the speed sensor wire connected. With the Speed sensor wire connected it will initialize the sensor to a 3D status. For that reason, I disconnected the speed sensor wire and the unit works fine without any problems.

The parking brake lead has been put to ground. This works fine. When you exceed 5mph, the unit will automatically disable the Nav functions and AV viewing. When you come back below 5mph, the unit will allow Nav functions and AV viewing automatically.

I also have disconnected the reverse wire sensor to test that portion and that hasn't made a difference in operation yet either.

The GPS sensor is just mounted under the dash behind the radio on top of the air vent for now.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:56 AM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
Thanks for such a comprehensive report. It's encouraging to see that the unit apparently CAN be mounted in a Super Duty, despite Crutchfield's web site saying it won't work. It looks like an ample dose of creativity and patience is required. BTW, have you looked at Crutchfield's site lately for kits? I checked it yesterday and it seems to have a kit for an F350 now, while it did not have this kit the other day. Here's the link:
www.crutchfield.com/S-3Jf1P4SkTRW/cgi-bin/prodview.asp?i=120995808

Sorry, but you'll have to cut-and-paste the link, or just go through the model selection yourself, as I still can't seem to make a link work on this forum. Anyway, the holes and pins appear to be in the correct location and I'm wondering if the AVIC would fit right in (after removing the bottom tray of the kit, of course). I'll probably order one next week and give it a try. Meanwhile, if you get a chance to post some pictures of your installation, that would be great.

Finally, which wire did you determine to be the speed sensor wire?

Old 06-24-2005, 10:00 AM
Pau Hana
Freshman User
I'm confused - you mean you can't navigate with the unit unless you're doing 5mph or less?? I must be misinterpreting something here.

Originally Posted by Viper TT
The parking brake lead has been put to ground. This works fine. When you exceed 5mph, the unit will automatically disable the Nav functions and AV viewing. When you come back below 5mph, the unit will allow Nav functions and AV viewing automatically.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-D1