Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Ford 300 I6 vs Chevy 292 vs Dodge 225 /6

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 01:21 AM
j41385a
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took a big block V8 out to put my 300 in. It only had 80k on the clock, and Ran fine. My 300 is slightly modded, so now I have more power and better economy.

Is that honest enough?

Old 07-01-2005, 01:29 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
While a stock 352 or 360 is technically an FE big block it's nothing to write home about.

More power to you..........you have found a niche. That's what makes this a great world, freedom to do what you want.........even if it is the hard way

Last edited by DOHCmarauder; 07-01-2005 at 01:44 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:33 AM
j41385a
Senior User
I can swap Engines in Canada too. Or Mexico, Or anywhere in Europe for that matter. I'm sure it's allowed in New Zealand and Australia as well.

I am just not content to take the easy way out. But it doesn't help that I dislike v8's immensely. If other people like them better...great! That's what makes my engine choice more unique. Especially in my case. (Removing the 8 popper)

Cheers

Last edited by j41385a; 07-01-2005 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:46 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I edited my post for you

Old 07-01-2005, 01:52 AM
j41385a
Senior User
Since we're chatting DOHC... Do you have any experience with the other inlines?
As I said I am trying to find out all I can about the Chev and Dodge inlines.
Stories or things you've heard work too.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:09 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
I have two funny stories that may not be what you're looking for;

Back in about '79 my buddy had a '63(?) Falcon with the small I6..........beating the crud outta it in the hills of So. California. Took out the oil pan on a rock about 10 miles from home, drove at least half of that with the idiot light on.

I was actually able to pull the pan completely out from underneath. Pounded, cleaned and welded the hole.............here's the funny(?) part; Our other friend had a basin of used oil on the side of his house...........grass clippings, leaves, maybe some condensation, poured it in the 'ol Falcon and it ran like a top...........might still be running So I will not doubt the ability of that engine to withstand abuse.

Nearly the exact story in a Dart with a 225 slant 6. While pretending to be pro rallye car drivers we got a tad too much air and nose dived snapping the snout off the crank.(believe it or not, that was a weekly occurence with the General Lee while filming the Dukes of Hazard in the same area we abused our vehicles)

With no accessories, most impportantly no water pump, we drove close to 20 miles back and the 'ol Dodge got us home. A

A moment of silence for the Dart..........my buddy junked it instead of rebuilding

Old 07-01-2005, 02:21 AM
j41385a
Senior User
A buddy of mine had bought a 64 chev pickup with a 250 in it when he was 15. Apparently The old man whose family he bought it from was too old and frail to drive for the last 10 years before he died.

So it got parked in the Back corner of the Barn under a tarp...Until the estate sale. Well...my buddy threw a new battery on it, new points and condenser and started the thing. Drove it for 2 years like that...on a 13-15 year old oil change.
He was trying to blow it up so he could put in his 350. Especially right there at the end, you know...Pedal to the medal in granny low. Lots of High rpm power braking. He ended up just taking it out and selling it because he couldn't blow it. That and the thing blew his rear end.

Old 07-01-2005, 02:32 AM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Funny stuff!!

15 year old oil or used oil sitting out in the elements for months, wonder which one "offers more protection against thermal breakdown"?

Old 07-01-2005, 03:07 AM
j41385a
Senior User
I finally decided to get my Photo gallery working....

Last edited by j41385a; 07-01-2005 at 03:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:34 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
The purpose of this forum is to make intelligent comparisons of other makes against ford. They don't have to be in favor of Ford but they must be reasonable in any matter or direction.

Thought I would throw this in .........about now!

Old 07-02-2005, 10:25 AM
Armada
Senior User
Different strokes for different folks! Literally.

With respect, DOHCMaurader, it may not be helpful to jump in and slam the guys who use their trucks perhaps in different ways than you might.

One truck may be best for pulling a load at highway speeds up a steep grade. Another truck (with a different type of engine) may be best (and needed) for low speed grunt. Maybe another for high rpm mud running.

I do agree with you about that angle/friction thing. No science there that I can see. And seven main bearings do contribute to long life, as does operating at lower rpm.

With respect, I thought this thread was to compare the various inline 6's. I'm not quite sure where your opinions come into play. Have you actually owned and spent some time with one them other than trying to make a high speed run in some unspecified age/condition I6 up a steep incline with some Sea Do's in tow or telling us a couple stories about the I6's of your buddies? Just wondering.

Last edited by Armada; 07-02-2005 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:05 AM
demarpaint
Mountain Pass
We are running a Chevy 250 inline 6 in a boat used for offshore fishing for about 7 years now. This motor is literally beaten, and it just comes back for more. Wish we could use a 300 6 but the rpm range is not there.

Old 07-02-2005, 05:10 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Armada
Different strokes for different folks! Literally.

With respect, DOHCMaurader, it may not be helpful to jump in and slam the guys who use their trucks perhaps in different ways than you might.

One truck may be best for pulling a load at highway speeds up a steep grade. Another truck (with a different type of engine) may be best (and needed) for low speed grunt. Maybe another for high rpm mud running.

I do agree with you about that angle/friction thing. No science there that I can see. And seven main bearings do contribute to long life, as does operating at lower rpm.

With respect, I thought this thread was to compare the various inline 6's. I'm not quite sure where your opinions come into play. Have you actually owned and spent some time with one them other than trying to make a high speed run in some unspecified age/condition I6 up a steep incline with some Sea Do's in tow or telling us a couple stories about the I6's of your buddies? Just wondering.

Had no intention of slamming anyone.........there's that internet tone again. I am not impressed by the 300 I6..........sorry if you or anyone takes that personal.

I also feel the need to save the world about the myths of engine architecture. You know, the I6 automatically has more torque and doesn't rev(tell that to the Supra and BMW crowd) or how OHC makes more power on the top end just because it's OHC or my favorite; pushrod motors magically have more torque!! And of course the bizzare wear patterns of various engines

I will, in the future, be more specific about the age/condition of the vehicle I had an experience with. BTW, it was a new F150 regular cab with auto back in '95............I also drove the tugs on the flightline while in the AF (stubby little F-350 duallys with the I6 and geared extremely high numerically.

If I'm not mistaken I was asked by j41385a if I had any stories about the inline 6's..........did you miss that post?

I do see some irony in your post, however, concerning relevancy.

Old 07-02-2005, 09:34 PM
j41385a
Senior User
Dohc, if you're not impressed with it that is fine. You'll note that's why I didn't post on the thread called 460 vs 454 vs 440. I am not impressed by V8's. I don't like the way they look, or sound, or burn gas like it's free. I don't even like working on them.

I too feel the need to rid the world of myths about engine architecture. You know, the I6 automatically has less power or is slower because it only has 6 pistons.

But back to the Subject if you folks don't mind...

I know that Dodge offered a factory 2V intake manifold option at one point, did Ford or Chevy?

Old 07-02-2005, 09:48 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by j41385a
Dohc, if you're not impressed with it that is fine. You'll note that's why I didn't post on the thread called 460 vs 454 vs 440. I am not impressed by V8's. I don't like the way they look, or sound, or burn gas like it's free. I don't even like working on them.

I too feel the need to rid the world of myths about engine architecture. You know, the I6 automatically has less power or is slower because it only has 6 pistons.

But back to the Subject if you folks don't mind...

I know that Dodge offered a factory 2V intake manifold option at one point, did Ford or Chevy?

No need to get the proverbial panties in a wad.

I believe I corrected a "weird" statement about wear.

I put my .02 cents in on the venerable 300 I-6......BIG MISTAKE

No myths perpetuated (sp?) here.......the 300 I-6 is what it is. And with it's undersquare design and head layout.........nevermind.

Carry on, no more opinions from me unless approved.

Quick Reply: Ford 300 I6 vs Chevy 292 vs Dodge 225 /6