Texas Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: LibTimothy

What I miss about Texas..............

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 03:48 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What I miss about Texas..............

I've been away since 1991/1992. I was in Virginia, Mississippi, Maryland, and am now in Oklahoma. Looks like I'm slowly making my way back there. Sometimes I like to do a little reminiscing.

.....I miss......

....seeing miles of wild Texas Bluebonnets blanketing the highways and swaying in the summer sun breezes.

......seeing more pickups on the road than cars and suvs.

.....having a cool treat at Dairy Queen.(Real Dairy Queens are about impossible to find here.)

....the smell of saltwater breezes and the sound of the waves lapping at the oyster shell shoreline.

...........enjoying an ice cold RC cola and moonpie while watching the world go by.

....that ol sandpit turned fishin' and swimmin hole from when I was in middle school back in Seabrook.

.........watching all the boats pass in and out of the ship channels.

.....revelling at the size of the giant fish caught and displayed at the entrance of the Texas City Dike.

.........Texas Pecans. Man those were soooo tastey. I really miss real pecan pies.

There's soooo much more to add but that's it for now. Sigh......

Old 06-10-2005, 06:36 PM
RedStroker6
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
well shoot, texas misses one of its natives. Hurry back!

Old 06-12-2005, 10:12 AM
13MWZ
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hear ya man. I've only been gone for goin on 4 months. I already miss her.

Cant forget ShinerBock beer, Hill Country women, rodeo, mesquite bbq, the cyotes at night, the crickets singin ya to sleep, Hill Country women, the sound of rain on the tin roof, Aggie Football, ShinerBock beer......I think I'm forgeting something here. Oh yea, Hill Country women!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:03 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
I've been away since 1991/1992. I was in Virginia, Mississippi, Maryland, and am now in Oklahoma. Looks like I'm slowly making my way back there. Sometimes I like to do a little reminiscing.

.....I miss......

....seeing miles of wild Texas Bluebonnets blanketing the highways and swaying in the summer sun breezes.

......seeing more pickups on the road than cars and suvs.

.....having a cool treat at Dairy Queen.(Real Dairy Queens are about impossible to find here.)

....the smell of saltwater breezes and the sound of the waves lapping at the oyster shell shoreline.

...........enjoying an ice cold RC cola and moonpie while watching the world go by.

....that ol sandpit turned fishin' and swimmin hole from when I was in middle school back in Seabrook.

.........watching all the boats pass in and out of the ship channels.

.....revelling at the size of the giant fish caught and displayed at the entrance of the Texas City Dike.

.........Texas Pecans. Man those were soooo tastey. I really miss real pecan pies.

There's soooo much more to add but that's it for now. Sigh......
Ron! You thought we wouldn't find this!!!

That's it... you're outta the OK. Chapter buddy!

STan

Old 06-13-2005, 10:22 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
hehehehe...you found me Stan.

Some more things I miss....

.....the fresh seafood that didn't cost an arm and a leg.

......crabbing at the San Jacinto monument water front.

....crossing the giant bridges over the ship channels and peering out for miles at the landscape.

.......hunting for dinosaur fossils in Round Rock. (Wish I had kept the ones I collected when I was a kid.)

Old 06-14-2005, 10:24 AM
retired2001
Elder User
Get back as soon as you can! I lived in La Porte for many years and now at Canyon Lake and wouldn't trade it for any other state. I'm sure folks from other states feel the same about their's, but you just have to live here to really appreciate it fully!

Old 06-15-2005, 12:18 PM
KSims1868
Senior User
Hey Ron - I'm down here in League City and my wife grew up in Seabrook...in Seascape off of Toddville Rd.

Those things you're missing are still here and waiting for you. Hurry back!!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:01 PM
cole_mf_heinz
New User
Originally Posted by 13MWZ
I hear ya man. I've only been gone for goin on 4 months. I already miss her.

Cant forget ShinerBock beer, Hill Country women, rodeo, mesquite bbq, the cyotes at night, the crickets singin ya to sleep, Hill Country women, the sound of rain on the tin roof, Aggie Football, ShinerBock beer......I think I'm forgeting something here. Oh yea, Hill Country women!
you pretty much nailed it right there

Last edited by cole_mf_heinz; 06-15-2005 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Yep, I lived in La Porte also for a short while. I had to have been about 2 yrs old judging by the pics. That city is where my earliest memories of going trick or treating were.

Heya KSims, I know Toddville road very well. My best friend growing up lived on the waterfront. We spent many a summer days riding up and down that road to get to and from each adventure.

....I miss all those times my best friend and I would spend in the secluded trails of that huge nursery on Toddville road. They had what seemed like acres of dense bambo growing all around the place. We'd tear through those trails on our mountain bikes and jumping every wooden bridge we could find and we'd pull over and have the occasional stick/sword fight with those bamboo poles. Whoever's bamboo stick broke first lost.

Old 06-15-2005, 01:43 PM
KSims1868
Senior User
Originally Posted by cigarxtc
Yep, I lived in La Porte also for a short while. I had to have been about 2 yrs old judging by the pics. That city is where my earliest memories of going trick or treating were.

Heya KSims, I know Toddville road very well. My best friend growing up lived on the waterfront. We spent many a summer days riding up and down that road to get to and from each adventure.

....I miss all those times my best friend and I would spend in the secluded trails of that huge nursery on Toddville road. They had what seemed like acres of dense bambo growing all around the place. We'd tear through those trails on our mountain bikes and jumping every wooden bridge we could find and we'd pull over and have the occasional stick/sword fight with those bamboo poles. Whoever's bamboo stick broke first lost.
Yep - Pine Gully park is what that place is called right by MAAS Nursery. It's still there and there are some GREAT trails in that place. It's still vey secluded and not a very popular place because it isn't very well known still today.

Old 06-15-2005, 02:24 PM
cigarxtc
Postmaster
Originally Posted by KSims1868
Yep - Pine Gully park is what that place is called right by MAAS Nursery. It's still there and there are some GREAT trails in that place. It's still vey secluded and not a very popular place because it isn't very well known still today.
Ugghhh.....yer killin me! That just makes me even more home sick. My brothers and I used to spend a lot of time at Pine Gully Park. It was kinda neat for us little boys to go exploring the shore line to see what had washed up on shore for the day. There's nothing like sitting in the swings watching the waves roll in and out and watching the boats dissapear into the horizon, while the warm saltwater breeze blows in.

.....I also miss that huge park with all those baseball fields in the Clear Lake area. I played a season of little league out there and our team got 1st place trophies that season.

........I miss the NASA Space Center and Museum. I've got to take my two little boys in there so they too can be amazed by the technology and displays.

Old 06-26-2005, 08:50 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

well i happen to think panhandle women are good too but seein' as i am one maybe i'm biased *shrug*

i live in a city now (lubbock) and i miss the country so much i can't stand myself. i've never seen bluebonnets swaying in the wind cuz the wind around here blows so hard if it aint nailed down, it gets blowed away. i miss having room for a dog, being able to walk out the back door and saddle up my horses, walking whichever direction i wanna go till i find a place i wanna sit and watch the sunset w/o a buncha bldgs and power lines in the way, and most of all the silence that lets ya hear yourself think ....

someday ... some durn day ....

Old 06-26-2005, 09:37 PM
retired2001
Elder User
Connie, I was raised down around Post and still have some property there, so yes I would agree about "Panhandle" women. At least you don't have to drive very far to get away from those buildings in Lubbock. Now I live where there ae blue bonnets get a chance to "sway"!
retired2001

Old 06-26-2005, 11:09 PM
ford4life69
Posting Guru

i think the country right around the caprock is prettier than dusty dirty dry level lubbock .. i grew up in brownfield and then moved to levelland and both those names are very apt ... i will see the bluebonnets someday and i will have a place in the country someday too .... i got lucky and i live on the west side just barely inside the loop so i'm really not to far from the country .. but still, if i have to travel farther than my porch to get to the country that's too far for me ... i cld never live inside a place like austin or dallas w/o some very serious perswaying ...