1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

'98 acceleration/hesitation issue...

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 12:31 AM
DCFord
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question '98 acceleration/hesitation issue...

Hi, all, hope someone can help with this....here goes, my truck has 121,000 miles and in the last few weeks the CE light came on. Then, when driving down the highway anywhere from 45-65mph, acceleration will just stop. The rpm's and mph do not increase, no matter how much further the accelerator is pushed. When I let off the accelerator for a few seconds, then everything is usually fine. I had a mechanic (friend) hook up his scanner and he told me it was reading a #1 misfire. I have replaced the fuel filter (still happens) and run a can of Seafoam through the tank (still happens). Does anyone have any ideas on what could be causing this? No, I have not replaced the plugs and wires because I have heard that this is a bear of a job, so any helpful advice on doing this, as well, would be greatly appreciated. My finances are extremely limited, so I will be doing most any "fixes" myself.

1998 Expy XLT 4x4
4.6L, Air Suspension

Old 06-09-2005, 03:26 PM
DCFord
Senior User
I guess no one can provide any help with this? I was at least hoping to get some possibilities.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:26 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Well, since you are getting a misfire on #1 cylinder, try replacing the Coil On Plug. Those are fairly cheap and easy to replace.

Lucky you! Usually when a COP starts to go out they don't throw a code leaving the owner scratching his head until it becomes so bad that the CE light lights up.

Old 06-09-2005, 06:46 PM
DCFord
Senior User
Thanks, Monsta...another question. There are two coils on the truck, it appears, with four plug wires running to one side from one coil and four wires running to the other side from the other coil. It doesn't look like I have one coil per plug. If this doesn't sound right, let me know. If I'm sounding like an absolute idiot, then please let me know that also. I've always been a Chevy/Dodge man and this is the first Ford I have owned. Love the truck, just still working on figuring stuff out. Any more assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-09-2005, 07:20 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Uh oh...you got me...I just saw that you have a '98 4.6L. I do not know if they had the COP back them.

But if it is as you say, with two coils with wires to each cylinder them I would replace the coil pack that drives the #1 cylinder and the associated wires..and the spark plug, too.

Old 06-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Freak4Ford
Senior User
You may want to give some serious consideration to maintenance on your truck to avoid more problems down the road. Such as changing all your plugs, spark plug wires. Yes its not the easiest thing to do, but a little effort now will save you on problems down the road.

Old 06-09-2005, 11:46 PM
DCFord
Senior User
I agree, I have always been very consistent with pm on my vehicles. Do you have any advice for changing the plugs on the Expy. Should I use anti-seize on the new plug threads? I've been told by some you should, because of the aluminum head issue, and told no need to use it by others.

Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

The plug threads should be dry.