Will this 5.0L combo work?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 09:38 PM
gunz4life2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will this 5.0L combo work?

I have a 1996 F-150 extended cab(2wd). I just bought a new 302 w/afr 165's, 1.6 roller rockers, forged pistons, ARP rod bolts and Main studs. I have also ordered underdrive pulleys, smog pump eliminator, new alternator, longtube headers, 3" true duals (with an x-pipe), 56mm throttlebody, new MAF sensor, MSD 6A box, Accel cap&rotor kit,. I have the stock intake for now, but may get an edelbrock soon, I also still have the stock 19lbs injectors. The summit tech line said 24's will make it run like crap. I'm doing true duals because I want my exhaust to exit before the rear tires + the cool factor + my wife might get me a supercharger (we're looking at a kenne bell), but later though. I just want to know if this is a sound combination. I know I could have got a 351, but I initially thought it was too much work. This is my daily driver/weekend warrior truck (I know its not the best choice, but its what I ended up with). The trans is an auto with a transgo shift kit. Rear gears are stock 3.55's, tires are 33x12.5 in the rear 31x10.5 in front. I'd appreciate any comments or advice on changes I could make to my combo for the best performance. Thanks

Old 06-08-2005, 11:58 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
well your bottleneck is going to be the intake so the full potential will not be utilized till thats replaced. I also suggest you drop down to a 31" in the rear as well. that 33 is gonna be a power hog on the stock gearing unless you went to a 4.10 gear ratio. A supercharger probably wont work with your application because with those heads your compratio will be way to high.

Old 06-08-2005, 12:20 PM
90f150moneypit
Posting Guru
I agree, the intake is the restriction and that the tires are a bit big....especially for a 2wd. I highly recommend 275/60/15's all around. This size tire and same gearing is what I have.

That intake will work fine for daily use but will limit upper RPM HP. You didn't mention the cam, this is a critical piece to accurately asses the combo. If stock spec cam, this will be fine even with the stock intake.

The 'Bell will be fine with those heads. Their designed to only produce 6PSI or less boost to work as an add on for a completely stock motor. If running more boost then you may have to consider lowering the compression with either different heads or larger dished pistons. (larger head gaskets are NOT recommended)

Old 06-10-2005, 02:08 AM
cjjeeper85
Senior User
give us a little more info on the cam.

the compression shouldn't be to high (i'm guessing between 9 and 10.5 to 1) for that supercharger considering it only makes about 6 pounds of boost.

if you can give us the specs of the cam it will help determine how well it will work with a blower and give an idea of the power range of the motor(some cams work better than others with blowers, but no matter what a blower will give it a higher score on the ***-o-meter)

a stock intake with the afr's will work but will be a HUGE bottle neck once the motor gets into higher rpm's

i agree with the the idea of changing to smaller tires or a lower gear. the 33's are a little to big

the stock injectors will work fine (good for around 320 horses), the only reason the 24's won't work is because your maf is not callibrated for the 24's

You said your wife might buy you a supercharger, does she have a sister?

Old 06-13-2005, 07:57 PM
gunz4life2
Freshman User
Sorry I haven't replied for a while, been trying to find a lawyer to defend me in a case against Uvalde county here in Texas (someone called the Police because they saw me get out of my 18wheeler with a knife in my pocket). Up until now, I was looking at $4000 fine and 1 year in jail. But it's all straightened out now.
Anyway, the cam is E303 cam. The engine builder (West coast mustang) told me compression will be 9.0:1. They must have put the larger heads or dished pistons. Those tires are coming off, my wife wants some nice wheels, so new tires will be bought. We want some wheels that stick out or right under the wheel well (17,18, or 20" are my choices). I was thinking 18's , big enough to look cool, but small enough to still perform. For tires I wanted 305/??/18 all around or atleast in back. What do ya'll think? I will probably put the 4.10 gears later. I don't think I'll upgrade the intake manifold, since my wife will be getting me the supercharger hopefully for Christmas. I really appreciate all your help.

Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 PM
cjjeeper85
Senior User
that combo will be a screamer with a supercharger, but i do suggest a bigger throttle body and maf. I recomend no less than a 75mm tb. also your gona need bigger injectors with the supercharger 36-42# should do it, along with an 80mm maf calibrated for for the larger injectors. A tb and maf larger than what i suggested wouldn't be a bad idea, but i assume it will be mostly street driven and its for making others jealous (me), so what i sugested should work fine.

Something that will make your life eaiser will be to switch to a mustang style intake(there are alot more parts for mustangs than trucks and most will fit with little to no modification)

A high volume fuel pump goes with all of that to.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:41 PM
gunz4life2
Freshman User
Where could I get a good fuel pump that will just drop in to my tank or that can be installed easily? What all will I need to swap to a mustang intake (cheaply)? I don't know much when it comes to components of the air/fuel system (fuel rails, regulators, adapters). What about that spyder intake or whatever (looks like a carb manifold with an adapter for our throttle body)? Would that work aswell? Thanks for the feedback.

Old 06-14-2005, 12:45 AM
cjjeeper85
Senior User
i havent been able to find a drop in high volume fuel pump for the trucks but have heard that a mustang pump will fit with a little modifing. not shure what you have to do but i'm gona find out in a few weeks. You could use an inline pump but i haven't found one for under $300.

The truck's stock fuel rail will work fine, but you might need to get an adjustable fuel presure regulator when you strap on that supercharger.

You can find stock mustang intakes for pretty cheap in junk yards and on ebay but if you plan on putting a supercharger a good aftermarket intake will make a big diffrence.

As far as i know the spyder would work but i don't know much about it.

the throttle body an maf you'll have to go to the after market to find, but you might find them on ebay for a pretty good price.

go to www.corral.net (this is a mustang forum but is a good source of info since the trucks and mustangs share the same motor) and search the classified, there's a good chance you'll find what you need there

Old 06-14-2005, 01:14 AM
cjjeeper85
Senior User
oh and some thing else i just thought of, stock mustang intake with the afr heads is not much better than stock truck intake with afr heads, a gt40, cobra, or explorer intake would work alot better and wouldn't hurt your wallet as much as most of the other aftermarket intakes. The 96-01 explorer intake will proably be the cheapest compared to the gt40 and cobra but might be a little difficult to find.

Old 06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
gunz4life2
Freshman User
I think I will look for a cobra intake, I've heard a few guys talk about those. If I put an inline tank, can I just leave the stuck stuff on there and just unplug the electronics (inline pump sucking through old pumps). I was told that I have two in-tank pumps and I figured this would be easier than pulling both tanks and fabricating something. Also, will I need a fuel pressure regulator?..one or two?

Old 06-14-2005, 04:28 PM
cjjeeper85
Senior User
Yeah the dual tanks does make it a little more difficult. An inline pump will be alot eaiser (anything will be eaiser than dropping a gas tank), but remember fuel pumps push fuel alot better than they pull so get it as close to both tanks as possible. You can leave the stock pumps where they are, but they will restrict flow a little so it would be a good idea remove them if you ever have to drop the tanks.

The cobra intake is a good intke and can be made alot better with some port work. Go to the mustang forum i posted a link to and look for any post by a user named tmoss, look for a link to his website in his signature, most every member of that forum will tell you he is one of the best at porting intakes and has reasonable pricing.

The stock fpr will work fine untill you strap on that blower and a larger set of injector. You'll only need one fpr because it mounts directly to the fuel rail.

Old 06-14-2005, 05:39 PM
RollinHi95
Senior User
Originally Posted by gunz4life2
Where could I get a good fuel pump that will just drop in to my tank or that can be installed easily? What all will I need to swap to a mustang intake (cheaply)? I don't know much when it comes to components of the air/fuel system (fuel rails, regulators, adapters). What about that spyder intake or whatever (looks like a carb manifold with an adapter for our throttle body)? Would that work aswell? Thanks for the feedback.
the spider intake is a high rpm piece. a gt-40 would be a nice street intake. longer runners will give more bottem end tourqe. if your getting a kenne bell i wouldn't worry with an intake. as far as the fuel pump, just get an inline pump for fuel injection.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 PM
bobcash442
New User
i saw a thread about a supercharger for a 5.4 litre van. cant seem to find it anymore i tried, but im just wondering about the compatibility of 5.0 litre engine parts between the f-150 trucks, and e-150 of the same year? ('99). just tryin to scrape a little more power up and need some ideas. thanks for any input, and or links to that other thread if anyone has a clue.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:34 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 58 Likes on 30 Posts
...Welcome bobcash442, to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.

We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
…..See you on the boards.

Old 07-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
bobcash it would be best if you started your own thread. then we can talk more cool.

Quick Reply: Will this 5.0L combo work?