2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to get decent priced tires?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2005, 10:14 AM
EnergizerBunny69
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is who I have always used for buying my tires. I have never had any problems with them, the service or the price. http://www.tirerack.com/ Just a piece of info. from me to you about them on an experience that I had with them. I ordered a set of tires for my Explorer. After I had them installed (a couple of thousand miles later), I noticed that I had a vibration problem that I could not seem to get rid of. I took the Explorer in to a tire place and had them check for an OUT OF ROUND tire. They discovered that I had 2-tires O.O.R. I contacted The Tire Rack and let them know what the situation was. Their response was that they were extremely sorry for my inconvience and they sent me 4-brand new tires at no charge what so ever to me and paid for the dismount, mount and balance on the new tires. My opinion; a great company. I have been loyal to them for over 15-years now. L.O.L. on whomever you go with.

Old 06-28-2005, 09:46 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Smile

Originally Posted by ChrisAdams
Tire rack has offered some good prices on the Long Trail. On their quality, dunno, they are made by Michelin, (contract thing, mentioned a number of times in the press) and the four I have seem very nice. Smooth as glass at 100, which is as fast as I want to push this truck. Lots of power left, but there is no way that the truck is designed for that speed.
I swapped out Michelin 255-65-17 for the 265-60-18 and the ride got slightly softer, handling stayed about the same. I have driven the trucks with the Hankooks and the Ameritrac. If my truck had them I would have yanked them the first week. Still, most people have not had any problems with them.

As to satisfaction on the various tires, check the reviews on tire rack.

One idiot at a tire machine can ruin four tires in about an hour.
I've watched them do it.
Also, there is such a thing as a bad run of tires.

I have also had a bad Z-rated Michelin, right off the shelf. And they make very good tires. Stuff happens.

Chris
Chris, Does this mean BFG Long Trail are made by Michelin? Thanks!

Old 06-28-2005, 10:38 AM
ChrisAdams
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ruckus
Chris, Does this mean BFG Long Trail are made by Michelin? Thanks!
That is the information on line, and from a tire vendor I am friends with. He wasn't trying to sell me anything, we have been friends for thirty years, but I don't buy my tires from him, (too dang expensive, and he mainly deals with offroad, and sport tires.)

Glance through the reviews on Tire Rack, it comes up a lot.

I really don't know for sure, as the companies play it pretty close to the vest. I have sold enough parts made by different other companies over the years, and have no reason to argue with the idea.

On the flip side, it really doesn't matter, as any maker can have many grades.
Example, I was selling Kraco Stereos in my stores in 1984, and got a nice tour of the plant. They made low end Alpine, and four other major brands, on the same line as the rather cheap Kracos. You could carry out seven brands of head unit, all with the same guts.
It's true they were the cheaper end. This still goes on, more than ever, just check any local stereo shop; Blaupunkt, and Alpine can be their cheapest line... or their most expensive.

Tires are even easier to 'rebrand'. Look at Bridgestone and Firestone...
In spite of some people having had bad luck with some BFG tires, they are a good company, with a very good reputation. My tires are pretty good. Nice handling, nice ride, and not the least bit of viberation in the drive train.
Good enough for me.
Just rotated them, and not a spec of vibe.
Chris

Old 06-28-2005, 11:58 AM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, Michelin manufactures the BF Goodrich line now. BFG sold off their tire division a few years ago, and Michelin aquired it.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:20 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Well, I learn something new everyday. I know a lot of different manufacturers private label different brands. Chris, you are absolutely right because each one has different specifications. I just was not aware of the BFG and Michelin thing. Thanks Fellows!