Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

HELP!!!! auto gear select

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 08:27 PM
jgoshow
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP!!!! auto gear select

my 92 f250 gear select just fouled out,i went to put it in park,it just slid,not clicking through gears...something must have broke in the steering column,can anybody tell me how to take the thing apart?i cant remove the top cover due to the metal part where you put the keys,how do i remove that?...im lost!!!but still love my truck....any ideas of what broke...if i slide the geatr shift into park....im in neutral...i have no reverse.......OMG!i hope that you diesel experts can help the home mechanic get through this.......thank you in advance....jeff

Old 06-04-2005, 08:56 PM
farmnfly
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully its jusy the linkage under the truck, crawl under it and have someone run it through the gears and look closely at what moves, there is a cross shaft that bolts to the frame and trany that has plastic bushings on both ends check all that stuff closely just a little loose play in the linkage can cause what your experiencing. But if it truly is broke in the steering column it could be very difficult to repair and probably would be more economical to get a complete used column from a junk yard. Actually the column comes out fairly easily. good luck

Old 06-05-2005, 10:47 AM
PLC7.3
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check the below info........

Automatic Transmission Shift Rod or Shift Cable Adjustment... C6 and E4OD

1 Raise vehicle on jack stands or hoist. (I'd block well and scramble under)

2 From inside the vehicle, place the select lever in D/C6 and OD/E4OD . Hang a three

pound weight on the selector lever ( six pack still full)

3 Remove shift cable from the transmission lever ball stud/shift rod.

4 Pull down the lock tab on the shift cable body.

5 Position transmission lever in drive position. This is three detents from the front-most

lever position with the first position counting as one.

6 Connect the cable and end fitting to the transmission lever ball stud/shift rod.

7 Push up on the lock tab to lock the cable in the correctly adjusted position or tighten nut

and bolt.

8 Remove jack stands and lower vehicle from hoist. Remove three pound weight from

column shift select lever.

9 After making adjustment, check for Park engagment. Check the transmission control lever

in all detent positions with the engine running to make sure correct detent/transmission

actions. Readjust if necessary.

CAUTION:
Under no circumstances will it be permissible to adjust the cable/shift rod in any position

other than D for C6 or OD for E4OD.

Now all should be ok if it is in PARK and everything works, remove blocks.

Road test...................(drink warm beer)

The PRND indicator on the steering colum can be adjusted using the wheel under the dash/steering column.

To remove key cylinder

1 Disconnect battery ground....
2 Turn lock cylinder key to run position......
3 Place a 1/8 diameter pin (drill bit) in the shroud under lock cylinder.
Depress retaining pin while pulling out on lock cylinder to remove it from the column housing.

To install key cylinder

1 Instal lock cylinder by turning it to run position and depressing the retaining pin. Insert lock cylinder into lock cylinder housing. Make sure cylinder is fully seated and aligned in interlocking washer before turning key to off position. This will permit cylinder retianing pin to extend into cylinder housing hole.
2 Rotate lock cylinder, using lock cylinder key, to make sure of correct mechanical operation in all position.
2 Connect battery ground cable