6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Should I Buy

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 10:39 AM
SHWILL
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I Buy

I am currently dirving a 04 Chevrolet 1500 z71 crew cab with 27K miles on it. It has been trouble free & gets between 17 & 18 MPG on the hi-way. I made the mistake of driving a 05 F-250 6.0 crew cab last week. I have been around diesel most of my life as I was reared on a farm. My dad owns a 04 250 6.0 with 42 k miles on it. It too has been absolutely trouble free on the farm. I have always like the 250 but was concerned with the turning radius. The 05 has addressed this issue & I was impressed with it. I can trade for about 13K difference is it worth it??? Chevy has cloth-- Ford is Lariat with luxury package. 17 inch wheels on both. I do not tow -except for a light 4 wheeler trailer. I do not work the truck. I do not really need a 3/4 ton truck. I drive about 25K miles a year. I do like the extra room of the Ford over the Chevy. Can I operate the diesel as cheaply as the gas burner? Gas here is $1.90 Diesel is $2.05. What mileage can I hope for in the 05 6.0 with mostly hi-way driving. THANKS

Old 06-04-2005, 11:28 AM
dhelm72
Freshman User
It sounds like you have no need for this truck. Your current truck does everything you need it to do with ease. You will gain more room with the Ford which is a plus.

With that said, do you want it? If you really want it and you can afford it, GO FOR IT! Who cares if you NEED it or not. You know you don't need it. Life is short, be happy. If you can't afford it, that's a different story. You will feel like king of the world driving that diesel Ford. You will have a huge fecal consuming grin permenantly etched into your face. Who knows when you'll want to tow a 10,000 pound trailer.

The diesel will probably cost more to run but the difference shouldn't be that great. Oil changes/regular maintenance is a bit more. Your fuel economy should be pretty close to the numbers you posted on the Chevy but you'll have twice the power. The diesel should be very reliable and the Ford truck wrapped around it is tried and true. This platform has been around since 1999 and the electronics and mechanical components are proven a million times over to stand the test of time.

Whatever you decide to do, be happy with your purchase and enjoy!

Last edited by dhelm72; 06-04-2005 at 11:31 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:34 AM
Dieselhound
Senior User
Unless you are really going to need the pulling power of the diesel, stay with what you got and get good use out of it. The diesel would not be more economical for your purpose and just be a luxo cash burner.

Last edited by Dieselhound; 06-04-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM
NavyPowerstroker
More Turbo
Well with all the "need" addressed, is this what you want? I don't pull often but at least once a year for elk hunting. I may not have "needed" this truck but I wanted it. LIke Dhelm72 says life is short, be happy. I get tired of people asking all the time what I needed that truck for. What is it to them. You are the one paying for it.

Old 06-04-2005, 01:21 PM
DUKFVR
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you can afford it & want it get it. You know all the ins & outs of having a diesel,being you have been around it. If you really want the diesel over gasser go for it!

Old 06-04-2005, 06:37 PM
MobeyDick
Posting Guru
If you truely get 17/18 MPG with the Chevy you better keep it!!

Old 06-04-2005, 06:50 PM
Exchevman
Junior User
The crew cab Lariat model ( which is what I have ) is fantastic for people haulin too, whether you're packing the wife and kids for a vacation , or you wanna take you're sweetie out to the best reasturant in town, the truck is just soooo classey anywhere you take it.

Once you drive a diesel, it's very hard to ever go back to a gas engine.

Old 06-04-2005, 10:15 PM
captchas
welcome

Originally Posted by SHWILL
I am currently dirving a 04 Chevrolet 1500 z71 crew cab with 27K miles on it. It has been trouble free & gets between 17 & 18 MPG on the hi-way. I made the mistake of driving a 05 F-250 6.0 crew cab last week. I have been around diesel most of my life as I was reared on a farm. My dad owns a 04 250 6.0 with 42 k miles on it. It too has been absolutely trouble free on the farm. I have always like the 250 but was concerned with the turning radius. The 05 has addressed this issue & I was impressed with it. I can trade for about 13K difference is it worth it??? Chevy has cloth-- Ford is Lariat with luxury package. 17 inch wheels on both.

I do not tow -except for a light 4 wheeler trailer. I do not work the truck. I do not really need a 3/4 ton truck. I drive about 25K miles a year. I do like the extra room of the Ford over the Chevy. Can I operate the diesel as cheaply as the gas burner? Gas here is $1.90 Diesel is $2.05. What mileage can I hope for in the 05 6.0 with mostly hi-way driving. THANKS
welcome to fte the best ford truck site on the web. please take some time to read the site guide lines and the read first of each area.

ford offers 2 ways for the person like you and i when not towing all the time. the first is the 6.0 psd and the 2nd the 6.8 v10. they are both awesome tow machines with the v10 being a great every day driver needing 87 gas.
good luck with your choice. i just wanted you to know there is a second choice motor for towing

Old 06-05-2005, 03:15 PM
guydiver12
Senior User
Sounds like you already have a nice truck. Unless you have to have a diesel for heavy towing, it will be much more economical to keep your current ride. Diesel maintenance is expensive, and so are parts, and so is fuel(at least for now). Not to mention up front money. If money is no object, sure. Get the '05 CC Lariat with everything, and enjoy. I don't think you will regret it.

Old 06-05-2005, 03:49 PM
huntercgr
Posting Guru
I feel I have the perfect background to comment. I had a '95 Z-71, ordered new. It was like a rock for me for 9 years. Practically repair free, consistently got 15 mpg, 9-10 towing. I worked it hard when towing as I have a 5500lb f'ver. I got 6K for it, paid 23K, and had 154,000 miles on it. It was tired.

This 6.0 has been like night and day compared to the Z-71, as you'd expect. I can now tow with total ease. The comfort factor has risen X5. The feel you get being in a 250/350 is "king" like. I get 18mpg in the summer, 15 in winter, 12-13 towing in the mtns.

I feel this truck will last me 20 years, as I hope to average 15,000 miles a year. I also feel safer in a bigger, stronger truck. And I feel the maintainence costs compared to a gasser are close to, if not less than a gasser. Diesel fuel is now less than reg. gas here.

To sum it up, in 6-7 years you'll most likely need a new truck. You do the math. Good luck with your choice.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 PM
marriedguy1
Senior User
I traded in a perfectly fine 01 Expedition 4x4 for my 04 F350. I don't need a truck with this much power, I also didn't need heated leather seats or 4 wheel drive, but I wanted it and I got it. I'm so happy with my truck that I can't even put it into words. I wanted a truck this big and powerful, I didn't need it. Now that I have it I wonder how I got along with out it.

Old 06-06-2005, 12:44 PM
SHWILL
Freshman User
I am still undecided. I can afford it, but don't know if I can justify it. I drove my dad's 04 this weekend. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow & drive the 05 again. It is a small dealer with only 2 PSD CC's on the lot. The sales man says everything is very very slow right now. If I trade my chevy-it will have cost me about 4k in one year & I put 27K miles on it. I do have a wife & a 5 year old little girl. My daughter says we need a truck like Papaw's. I do qualify for the X-plan through work, but from what I have read I think I can do better. With the amount of driving I do (25K a year) I know that the diesel will last longer & retain it's value better. I just wish that the diesel would get 20 to 21 MPG on the hi-way.

Old 06-06-2005, 04:45 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's Easier to pay $500.00 a month for something you like than it is to pay a mere $100.00 a month for something you don't like!!!!!!! IMHO

Old 06-06-2005, 11:18 PM
KitsKid
Senior User
Talking

When you drive a Ford everything else is just a BLUR! Seriously, though I think your daughter is a wise child. She had to get that somewhere, huh? I am just kidding around, all of us here are pretty biased, in our opinions. It does cause your face to wrinkle though, all that permnant grinning.
Wish you luck with your decision.

Old 06-07-2005, 09:42 AM
deacjrt
Elder User
You only live once, drive what you want. I had a 1/2 ton Chevy extended cab prior. I ordered my '04 after test driving several and knowing what options I wanted. The Lariat package is nice, the kid and wife love the extra goodies. Myself, I enjoy the room and seats. The seat in the Superduty is so comfy, I think it is because the bottom cushion extends out quite a ways to provide support almost to your knee.

Other advantages, the SD has a great stance, the best of all the manufacturers in my opinion. You mentioned fuel economy, I was in a different boat. My Chevy did NOT have the Z71 package and I still only got 13 mpg. My SD gets near 20 on highway, and this summer is getting 17 with a mix of city/hwy. As for justification, I don't pull or haul anything on a regular basis, but it sure is nice to put grandpa in my truck and get to any fishing hole I want.

Quick Reply: Should I Buy