1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

97 expy stereo questions.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:05 AM
teknochode
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 expy stereo questions.

Have a 97 expy with cassette "premium sound" system.... Have some questions...

- What are the speaker sizes ?
- Locations ?
- How many speakers ?
- Also, on some Fords, the speakers are amped at the speaker. Is this the case here or are the speakers just wired straight to the deck which provides the power ?
- Is there anything else I need to know ?

Just FYI, what I am planning is to mount a 4ch. power amp under the pass. seat, and power the factory speakers with it. In place of the deck, there will be a carbon fiber plate with a simple power switch and an 1/8" stereo input to hook my iPod to. I HATE radio, and I have tried the goofy cassette adaptors and FM modulators out there. Haven't seen anything I like yet. This way is simple and clean.

Old 05-31-2005, 05:32 AM
Greenscobie86
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
- The spealer sizes are: front 5x7 rear 6x9
- The speakers are located in the doors 2 in fronts 2 in rears. They are accessed by removing the door trim.
- Total number of speakers: 4 but if you have the mach audio system you will also have an 8'' subwoofer located in the right side trim panel aft of the rear seats.
- If you have the Mach audio system the speakers are amplified but NOT at each speaker. The amp is located underneath the center portion of the dash. In order to upgrade your system you will need an amplifier adapter in order to connect the new headunit to your stock amp. However if you want to put in a new amplifier altogether you can probably just rip everything out and start over with new wiring, speakers, headunit, etc...
I must warn you though, if you wish to replace the stock headunit you must use a single DIN size headunit because although the stock head looks like its a 2 DIN its really not. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2005, 12:17 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
If your Expy is an XLT, it does not have the Mach system or the subwoofer. The Mach, with the subwoofer was an Eddie Bauer-only option.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:15 PM
teknochode
New User
for more on my stereo buildup....

well, I have been doing more and more research, and things are coming together...I'm still a little unclear if the speakers are amped or not. It's a 97 Expy XLT with the "premium sound" cassette head unit. CD changer controls, but no cd changer or sub. Can I assume my speakers are UNamped, and the power is provided solely by the head unit ?

I would like to tap into the factory harness so I don't have to gut the truck to rewire the speakers. I'll get an aftermarket harness to plug into the Ford harness to go out to the amp. For a detailed spec. of what I am planning, check out this link and let me know what you think...

http://members.shaw.ca/chickenhead/stereo/stereo.jpg

Thanks everyone... I appreciate your help and input.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:28 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Yes the speakers are unamped. I replaced my headunit and speakers last year in my 1999 XLT, which had the premium system. As you probably realize by this time, the "premium" system was the most basic sound system you could get in the Expy that year. Basically standard equipment.

Be careful about speaker selection. Not a lot of depth to mount aftermarket speakers, particularly in the stock rear door locations.

Old 10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
SeannyBoy84
Senior User
Originally Posted by PaulC
Yes the speakers are unamped. I replaced my headunit and speakers last year in my 1999 XLT, which had the premium system. As you probably realize by this time, the "premium" system was the most basic sound system you could get in the Expy that year. Basically standard equipment.

Be careful about speaker selection. Not a lot of depth to mount aftermarket speakers, particularly in the stock rear door locations.
I know this is over a year old, but I thought I add to it for those (like me) who actually search for info before posting, and might come across this thread.

Some of the XLT Expedition's that are not Eddie Bauer's, have the factory amp installed. A good chunk of models have this and don't necessarily include the subwoofer. I've seen other posts where you've said that none of the XLTs have the amp, and that's incorrect. I have a '97 Expy that had the factory amp under the dash by the console. When I installed my Alpine system, I unplugged the amp and connected the new receiver directly to each speaker, therefore bypassing the amp.

And easy way to know if you have a factory amp is to look at the connectors coming from the dash. If you have 2 flat rectangle 8-pin connectors, then you dont have one installed. If you have only have one flat, and say another that is square or has more pins, than you have the amp somewhere in your vehicle, most likely under the dash in front of the center console.

Hope this helps someone passing through.

Old 10-12-2006, 12:28 PM
EddieW
New User
well that's interesting to know because i have the square plug with several pins so i must have the amp too. i always knew my expy was special

but anyways i have a new question along these lines...my 97 expy cassette stereo has CD changer controls but no CD changer. so if i aquired one would i be able to hook it right up? would i only be able to hook up a 97 model? thanks for any info

Old 10-20-2006, 01:56 PM
belldawg
Junior User
I have a 99 EB with the CD changer. IT BLOWS. If the cd has the smallest scratch I hear fuz coming out of my speakers. Not to mention how slow the stock cd changer is. It takes more time to change a cd with the changer than it would by doing it manually with a regular cd player.

Old 10-23-2006, 03:27 PM
EddieW
New User
thanks a lot for the info. i was considering one for ease of installation. does anyone happen to know about the changer available from crutchfield for the 96-up ford vehicles? the only question i have about them is quality, i know they will install and everything.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:19 PM
99phxexp
New User
Hi guys,
This is my first post on this site. I have a 99 xlt and was wondering if I can purchase the pod that holds a subwoofer similar to the EB for my xlt? I was able to buy this for my Jeep XJ and it fit in real nice and held an 8" sub. I was hoping to do the same with xlt.

Thanks and great site.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:31 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I would think so...I'll bet there are holes already there to mount it up. If I recall correctly, the stock EB sub was not a common size though. It was like a 9.5in mount hole...somehting like that. I know it wasn't easy to make a decent aftermarket woofer fit in there. There is a audio thread on here as well and I bet this has been covered in there. Do a seach there for "Expedition Subwoofer" or the like.

Old 11-04-2006, 06:48 AM
Sh0wty
Freshman User
T

Originally Posted by SeannyBoy84
I know this is over a year old, but I thought I add to it for those (like me) who actually search for info before posting, and might come across this thread.

Some of the XLT Expedition's that are not Eddie Bauer's, have the factory amp installed. A good chunk of models have this and don't necessarily include the subwoofer. I've seen other posts where you've said that none of the XLTs have the amp, and that's incorrect. I have a '97 Expy that had the factory amp under the dash by the console. When I installed my Alpine system, I unplugged the amp and connected the new receiver directly to each speaker, therefore bypassing the amp.

And easy way to know if you have a factory amp is to look at the connectors coming from the dash. If you have 2 flat rectangle 8-pin connectors, then you dont have one installed. If you have only have one flat, and say another that is square or has more pins, than you have the amp somewhere in your vehicle, most likely under the dash in front of the center console.

Hope this helps someone passing through.
This is totally correct. I thought mine was not amplified, but it is. Now my Memphis amp powers very well..