1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

where's your battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
imlowr2
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I still have my battery in the original location. Since I recently put new carpeting in, I didn't want to cut a hole in the carpet to access the battery. I installed a battery cutoff switch and installed it in the floorboard of the interior. I figure, how many times am I going to be pulling the battery out? Not to often I hope. The switch allows me to disconnect the battery without pulling the carpet and hassling with lifting the lid, etc. It's kinda nice. I am opting for the drop down battery holder. The stainless ones are nice but costly. I like fenders56 idea of the van drop down battery. Some reason, when I hear the term drop down. I picture the battery holder droping down after hitting a bump in the road and well..... you can guess the rest.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 PM
theGman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tim, do you happen to have more details on the Econoline box? Sounds interesting.

I just use one of those inexpensive "marine" plastic boxes with the strap, in the stock hole...the kind they sell at Auto Zone, etc;. I throw away the lid & strap, and the rest pops down in the stock hole, protecting the battery a little better than the stock thingie.

Old 05-26-2005, 01:42 AM
keith56_cruz_cab
Elder User
ok I give up whats a optima battery?

Old 05-26-2005, 07:28 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Optima (brand name) battery is a completely sealed battery that uses a "jelly" electolyte instead if liquid acid. It does not require any type of venting so it can be installed in a sealed case or inside the vehicle and can be mounted in any position even upside down! They are about 3 times the price of a standard "wet" battery but they last much longer and can take a lot more abuse such as being drained deeply/heavily and sitting for extended periods between charging. They are also significantly lighter. Downside is they do not take well to fast charging, need to be trickle charged if charging from a plug in charger. They are very distinctive looking with a case that resembles a 6 pack of soda cans and a bright color coded top in red yellow or blue depending on it's intended use.
see www.optimabatteries.com

Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
SCD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My battery is in the garage somewhere, I will have to look for it tonight. Fenders56, do you have pictures of your drop down box? This sounds like a great solution.
Thanks
Scott

Old 05-26-2005, 08:18 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
"Downside is they do not take well to fast charging, need to be trickle charged if charging from a plug in charger."

I can verify this as absolutely true. A vendor talked me into giving these a test fly on our four Fire Direction Hummers. Lots of electronics so we slave them off 3K generators, or hit them with the trucks onboard 24V 100AMP generator. Optimas were good for about a month of that and they all puked just like a cheap Exide wet cell. They need a gradual charge.

Not certain, but I think they offer somewhat of a weight to CCA advantage over a wet cell. They are powerful batteries if you treat them right.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:36 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
The real appeal for us old vehicle enthusiasts is that they will hold a charge for a year of storage at room temp or below, and the yellow ones can be deep discharged regularly (such as playing the sound system or demoing your air suspension all day long at a car show) without complaint. Let a std wet cell battery sit for a year and you have a dead junk battery.

Old 06-01-2005, 08:47 AM
fatfenders56
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gman, in reference to your question, I cannot find the part # etc, but the info was on a thread a while back, I have only been on line for a few months so it shouldn't be hard to find

Old 06-01-2005, 12:05 PM
dj53
Senior User
I have relocated mine in the bed as well.Pass side in a real nice Optima battery holder with external **** for a quick jump and accessory plug and battery reader to tell how the battery is doing.Look at Optima for this they are real nice setups I think for Marine apps. I works perfect as we usually set the cooler in the bed and I can plug the coolers accessory plug in and keep all pops/beers/baby bottles ect cold or warm. I am using a deep cycle 900 optima and man we can go hours on the batt on a hot day and i have had tons of compliments on it. Plus if you all remember I cant tell you how many times we all need jumps in this hot rodding lifetime and if you think Im climbing under the truck that sits about 6 inches of the ground anyway everytime one of my buddies needs a jump your crazy.look into this . I will get a picture up for ya soon. DJ

Old 06-02-2005, 12:36 AM
CIAF
Posting Guru
Under the floor is a very well protected spot and most rodders try hard to put their's there when possible. I don't get all the carpet issues at all, how often do you intend to deal with battery issues anyway guys?? Anyhow, my 56 is getting the S/S dropdown from No-Limit, an optima w/ 70 alt, with remote jumper prongs ( plug 1 end, clamps on 1 end) behind the right wheel and a power plug in the bed hidden with a s/s "cool-Cap" type of plug. The carpet will be cut/sewn by the upholsterer. That all gets covered by the matching floor mats ( no handle bump ) The power cut off switch is in the left rear corner of cab behind the seat. Its all good.

Last edited by El Cabron; 06-02-2005 at 12:42 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:05 AM
imlowr2
Postmaster
I put my power cut off switch in the same location, its out of the way and still accessible. I covered my battery cover with carpet, didn't want to cut the carpet out and cover it with mats. I figured, how many times am I going to be pulling the battery out through the carpet? Actually Fenders talked me into doing that way, So blame him. LOL.. I'd like to install that drop down battery case also. Then I'd never have to lift the battery lid again.

Old 06-02-2005, 02:37 AM
46yblock
Postmaster
Battery

I didnt have too many choices for my battery location, so here it is.
Edit: Couldnt get picture to come up.

Last edited by 46yblock; 06-02-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:07 AM
galaxy5oo
Junior User
What are the 48-52 guys doing with their batteries. I had to cut out and fabricate a new firewall because the last owner gacked it all up when they beat it in to fit a 390 in there. It was not a pretty sight. It is all clean and neat now so I kind of hate to mount the battery up there. It is kind of hard for me to put it in the fender well because I have it lowered. I am curious to see that Optima battery holder that dj53 is using. All the ones I have found are expensive and something I could make myself really, but they do not have the accessory plug. I am trying to figure out how to hide the master cylindar right now. Been looking at some older van setups to get alternatives on that. Will make for a really clean looking firewall at least.

Old 06-02-2005, 08:32 AM
f1fordguy
Senior User
Under the truck, passenger side, inside frame rail, drop down stainless box. Using an Optima Red Top. Drop down portion of box actually detaches for removal of battery. Removable part of box has integral hold down.

Something could easily be fabbed which would work and be alot cheaper. Seems like mine ran about $140

Tim

Old 06-02-2005, 12:15 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happen to like the battery location in my 56. I agree that the access door is a problem for the carpet and I was just planning to use floor mats to cover it.

However, I did see a nice treatment lately. Jeff, one of the Pickups Limited guys in Orange County CA just made his carpet as a flap that has a seam at the front along the seat and again at the crease between the flat floor and the slope floor. The flap runs over the door sill and velcro strips secured it to the reveal behind the door. Looked really clean. Just peel the flap back and oper the door. He didn't use the door sill molding.

Quick Reply: where's your battery