Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Change Injectors?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 11:53 AM
mxzdoo
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Change Injectors?

Hello everyone. I have a 97' F-250 that has a Banks Git Kit that I installed back in January that has just turned 250,000 so far trouble free miles. Before I upgrade to the Banks stinger plus, has anyone changed the injectors and had a noticable improvement in smoothing out the idle? Other than a new set of glow plugs and the Banks upgrade, I haven't had to change or replace anything yet over and above the routine maintenance. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Old 05-24-2005, 12:00 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
why banks? There are waaaay cheaper alternatives and they are just as good too.

ok back on subject, IMO if you tow heavy it is going to be very hard to keep egt's in check with larger injectors and w/o an intercooler. And no my modified injectors didnt smooth out the idle, changing over to synthetic oil quieted my truck some though.

luke

Last edited by lukecline; 05-24-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:38 PM
mxzdoo
Junior User
Change injectors

Thanks for the info. Since the 100K mi mark I've been using 20 percent Lukas oil stablizer with my oil changes every 3,000mi. The oil doesn't ever drop below the full level between oil changes. Still happy with that. The reason why I chose Banks is because of the reputation and experience these guy's have with diesel engines. These guy's have been in business since at least the 60's. As for the injectors, I was thinking that maybe they are wearing to the point of not spraying such a fine mist anymore.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:37 PM
arninetyes
Posting Guru
You'll find a lot of people on this site don't like Banks at all. There is nothing wrong with Banks, except that they charge more for some of their stuff than other people do. Despite that, some of their stuff is competitively priced, and their packages work quite well.

In my case, the only reason I would pay more for Banks is that they are located just a few miles from here and I can go over for technical assistance - which I'm sure they would charge an arm and a leg for. Oh, never mind. I'm still buying some stuff from Tymar, other stuff from Dieselsite, other stuff from.....

Old 05-24-2005, 01:48 PM
mxzdoo
Junior User
Man, It felt like I said I'm buying a Chevy Duramax when I mentioned using Banks products. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just wanted something that was already tested to the extreme so that I wouldn't have any issues with it. I do enough testing and clutch tuning on my sleds through out the winter. I know they are a little more expensive at times though.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:21 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 789 Likes on 601 Posts
Originally Posted by mxzdoo
Man, It felt like I said I'm buying a Chevy Duramax when I mentioned using Banks products. I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers. I just wanted something that was already tested to the extreme so that I wouldn't have any issues with it. I do enough testing and clutch tuning on my sleds through out the winter. I know they are a little more expensive at times though.
I've used Banks before and liked it. Top quality product, and yes, you can count on them being there next year.
Back to your original question. I am of the opinion that replacing the injectors would help your idle and driveability a lot. There is just no substitute for nice, new, clean injector tips to get the job done right. The other thing you can do is to install the HX line to balance HPOP pressure between the cylinder heads. It's less than $100.00 no matter who you buy it from so it's a cheap experiment.

Old 05-24-2005, 02:35 PM
mxzdoo
Junior User
Change Injectors?

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can get the HX Line along with a new set of injectors and replace them this weekend. Thanks again.........

Old 05-24-2005, 03:23 PM
lukecline
Posting Guru
Are you planning on buying remans from ford or rebuilt larger injectors? You might wanna check out beansdieselperformance.com you can pick up a set of rebuilt injectors for 600-700 bucks and it will give you a good boost in hp for way less than buying stock remans. I just had a good friend buy a set of the tranny savers and they are a nice step up from stock but not too much hp. BTW im on my second set of BDP's (upgraded to larger after the first) and have 12k miles on his injectors.

Later, Luke

Old 05-24-2005, 03:33 PM
mxzdoo
Junior User
Thanks Luke, I'll check it out.