Rear ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:21 PM
cncwiz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear ABS problem

Hi Guys,

I have a '93 Ranger that the red "Brake" light and the amber "ABS" light come on after I press on the brake pedal especially hard. Doesn't matter if I am moving or not. Sometimes turning the key off and back on will clear it sometimes it won't. I can go months without seeing it or sometimes it's three or four times a week. I was thinking proportioning valve. Any help including instructions for getting the code would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-22-2005, 07:30 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Have you checked the brake fluid level?

http://fords.kilonet.org/ken00/2000RABS.pdf

Old 05-22-2005, 08:06 AM
cncwiz
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep, shes full to the top and hasn't gone down in years. That was the first thing I checked, but thanks for the reply!!

Old 05-22-2005, 02:35 PM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I solved this problem (basically the same) on my former 94 by thoroughly flusing the brake system. Four years later and all is still well. If you do this, be careful not to let the level of fluid drop too low and air enter the system. I suspect that debris from wearing hydraulic components is somehow impacting the operation of the RABS valve.

For good measure, you might also want to check for stored RABS codes before flusing the system. These codes are not stored in the ECM; details are in the tech info sticky at the top of this forum.