2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MagnaHeadache

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:17 AM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
MagnaHeadache

Well i decided on the magnaflow cat back for my truck. I ordered up the 16612 because my production date is 6/04, stated by magnaflow as the cutoff for the new exhaust style. Well i went to put it on last friday, took the stock off, and the adapter pipe from the factory exhaust to the magnaflow muffler is 6" too short. I called magnaflow and their tech tells me that I need the 24" adapter pipe, meaning the truck has the early style exhaust. He sends it out (no charge). Now i have to put the factory exhaust back on because it won't be here for a week. The part comes in thursday. Now it's saturday morning and I head out at 8 to get it done early. Take the old back off. Install new adapter pipe. Install magnaflow muffler. Try to install tailpipe, here we go, the hanger is too long. I spin muffler to put outlet on opposite side, hits bed, no go. Now i'm really mad. I call magnaflow and they are not open on weekends. I leave message saying how disappointed I am with thier product. Now it's time to go put the stock exhaust back on AGAIN. This has been a very disappointing experiance with magnaflow, just a total headache, SO if you decide on them watch out, don't let this happen to you.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:08 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issue. "Measure twice, cut once". I have always been a stickler for details. If I am interested in a product, I will call the manufacturer and demand to see some sort of schematic on the item, so I can make sure it fits before I get it. That does stink though in your case, since 6/04 is the supposed cutoff (maybe your truck was built on a Friday after happy hour, and the new parts were put on the following Monday). Do you plan on sending the entire kit back, or sticking with Magnaflow after all this?

Old 05-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Ferguson65
Logistics Pro
Received 200 Likes on 85 Posts
Well, after a buddy of mine came over we stared at the directions for a while and managed to get it on. It wasn't still without headache. The direction were very unclear as to how to mount the muffler. we figured that out and got the tailpipe where it looked good and tightened it up. Started it up and had a leak at the joint of the 2 tailpipe sections. Had it where it looked good, but the back half wasn't up far enough. Attempted to loosen clamp and it broke. Now the pipe is crimped from the clamp. One would think that for what these systems cost they would use the high quality band style clamps that seal instead of criping the pipe and hoping it does. Got that straightened out and back on, now it's too close to the back tire for my taste, but the only way it will work. I got out and buy another clamp and tighten it up. Start truck up. Now all the joints are leaking. Attempt to loosen and adjust another clamp and it breaks. Back to the parts store for another one. Put that on, still leaking. Screw it. I take it for a ride, it sounds great, just what i was looking for. The only thing i'm happy with is the sound, everything else sucks, fit/ finish, tubiing discolored after a ride around the block, tailpipe is visible inside tip. I will be calling magnaflow back tommorrow, they left me a message on monday, but I wanted to get myself together before I talk to them. Thinking of heating the tailpipe with a torch to get the factory swept angle to it, to get it away from the tire. -Scott