2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC went out

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 04:33 AM
shaper
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC went out

I got off work yesterday hot as heck outside got in my truck and hit the ac auto button and nothing. Blower moter would not come on and temperture control would not work. I will take it in monday and see what the problem is. Anyone have that happen yet?

Old 05-21-2005, 03:46 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Hey shaper, Sorry to hear of your A/C going kaput. What perfect timing. We are both in Texas enduring 100*+. Since blower and readout is off, have you checked the fuses? Refer to your owner's manual, looks to be location #5, #32 and or #116 in your fuse block. On second thought, take it in and let the service dept. sweat with it! Kick back and have a cold one! Good luck!!!

Old 05-21-2005, 05:36 PM
Simmy150
Senior User
I'm up in CT in 70 degrees with a black interior. The A/C in these trucks sucks. Ford got it down to 48 degrees out of the vents and claims that's what it should be. They said to take it off of auto to make it work better.

Old 05-21-2005, 05:51 PM
micabeau1
Freshman User
My biggest complaint is the AC too. I remember my father's '86 F150 had an AC so cold it was the most beautiful thing. I would almost trade fo that, especially now that I have to park it in the sun all day and get into an oven after work.

Mike

Old 05-22-2005, 07:43 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Originally Posted by Simmy150
I'm up in CT in 70 degrees with a black interior. The A/C in these trucks sucks. Ford got it down to 48 degrees out of the vents and claims that's what it should be. They said to take it off of auto to make it work better.
Dont let the dealer give you that crap.. I posted this a week or so ago about mine.

04 Lariat Scab, bought it last July. Vent temps blowing 55-60 degrees after 3 weeks and 1500 miles. Dealer tries to tell me this is normal.. I said lets put the gauges on it just for grins. The tech finds it was low on R-134. They charge it figuring it didn't get fully charged at Norfolk. For 2 weeks it's blowing 50-55, but warming up. It's still not air conditioning. Back to the dealer and they find the fill valve is leaking. They replace it, pull a vaccum, and recharge it. Back to 50-55 degrees. Then it cooled off here in Sept/Oct and there wasn't much sense..

Two weeks ago I figure it's time to get on them about it. Well they finally looked the system over and the compressor was bad. Took a week to get one, but today she's blowing 37-38 degrees at the vents. Now we're getting somewhere, but it was only 78 degrees outside. So I'll let it go till it get's hotter out and see what it does.

With the size of the condensor in front of the radiator in these trucks you should be able to hang meat and damn near freeze it in these trucks at 90 degrees outside temps. A buddy of mine bought a new 04 in Feb and his vent temps were at 36-37 in my driveway at 85 degrees outside last month. In the wind at 60mph he's probably blowing colder than that..and I'll check that soon..

All temps were taken with a infrared heat gun. Don't let these dealers give that Heiniken cold crap at 45-50 degree vent temps.. You can buy heat guns cheap if you look at Radio Control Nitro gas truck web sites for like 30 bucks. Mine's a little better than those, but they all work and handy to have.

I know a little about auto AC systems and have my 88 Bronco charged with a mix of propane and isobutane. It's called Envirosafe. It's direct replacement for R12 and R134. It's an old R12 system on that truck. I can hang wet rag in front of the vents on that truck and it will stiffen up. Thats headache cold...

Most of the problem stems from what Ford allows the dealers to do. When they recharge if the system says 3.4lbs of R134 that what they put in, turn the valves off and walk away from it. Any fool who's ever played with AC systems knows a few ounces either way can make a 10 degree difference at the vents. If I have to I'll tweek mine till it's headache cold.. R134 is cheap...

Old 05-23-2005, 05:35 PM
shaper
Senior User
Rougeriver, I took yor advice. Had a cold one or more and let them worry about it.

They tell me a control was bad and they will have it out by noon. Any way, I love this truck.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 PM
Dunk
Elder User
Originally Posted by shaper
Rougeriver, I took yor advice. Had a cold one or more and let them worry about it.

They tell me a control was bad and they will have it out by noon. Any way, I love this truck.

Get a temp gauge in the vents... If it's fixed it should be blowing 37-39 at the vents... Read what I said....

Old 05-24-2005, 05:29 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Smile

Hey Dunk, I agree with you that the 47* to 55* that I get out of my A/C (temp control) is not as cold as these units can and should get. I took mine in two weeks ago with this complant and, of course, was told this is normal. I'm going to take mine to a buddy that is great with A/C and have him put an extra charge on it. Thanks!