1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

How much do you think it will take?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 09:52 AM
Christopher2
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would pick one of the leaves up and drive a new truck under it. Then I would clean the leaf off and drive away.

Old 05-21-2005, 09:13 PM
kenseth17
Elder User
Being from Wisconsin I've seen and dealt with some rusty vehicles, but that truck is really bad. The bullet holes reminds me of the 70 buick skylark my parents sold to my crazy uncle greg when I was a kid. I must have not started or something one day and he shot a bunch of bullet holes in it.

Old 05-21-2005, 11:05 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello, My Name is Dick and I'm a Junkaholic.

I usually don't make this disclosure in such a public place, however having been a junkaholic most of my life I am able to recognize the signs of someone about to go on a junk binge.
Bob, I know its spring, and the junk urges are almost unbearable. It is especially rough on us junkers in the northern states as it is hard to do junking during our long cold snowy winters. Let the snow melt and there umoung the packed down weeds are piles of wonderful junk almost recognizable as something once useful.
You must be able to fight these urges Bob, just one slip and there goes all the long, hard battles and promises to the Wife that the next time it really will be useful.
I know how it is for myself in times like these. Just this morning the sun came up and there was the urge, "Grab the Binocks and hed for the the fields. Having been there before I was able to fight it off by going to the basement and moving my stash from the winter storage area to the summer storage area so the wife wont discover it.

Ya got to fight it man, one slipup like your contemplating and you could lose yor Kitchen Pass for the rest of the year.

Be Strong and Good Luck.

PennDick, AKA 4TL8Ford AKA that Butthead from PA.

Old 05-22-2005, 08:35 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Dick,

I'll do everything in my power to resist but the urge is strong.

I have stated many times that I think the craziest people are those who take a rusty pile of junk that someone else didn't want and rebuilts it (or at least tries to) into like new condition. This has never stopped me from doing it though. Check out my web site. Deep down my logical side tells me it would be a lot cheaper and less frustrating to save and buy a finished truck but then my stupid, "I did it myself" side takes over and tells me different when I find the "restorable" gem. I think it's a sickness, one I hope they never find a cure for

kenseth17, fellow Wisconsinite, I sure your pain. I too, have to deal with sheetmetal hostile enviroment. Every once in a while you can still run across a nice piece of sheet metal but it sure is rare up here. Hang in there brother.

Now for the man's prayer (Thanks Red Green):

I'm a man,
I can change,
If I have to,
I guess,
amen

Old 05-22-2005, 10:04 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
And man did the price of steel shoot up. Check my site also, Have dealt with some rust. Never worked on anything as old as a 48, 49, but worked on a few cars from the 60-70's over the years. Still better then putting a bodykit or huge friggen spoiler on a car, just not into them cars. Growing up our cars had chrome and steel. Well my first car was a 74 chevelle with a quarter panel made out of plastic filler and a vinyl top that had one small rip in it, which was almost completely torn off by the end of highschool. Someone ripped a piece off everyday. Wish I kinda keep that car. What happened to finding a 67 camaro ss convertable in great condition for 3 grand like I looked at while still in highschool in the late 80's. Growing up in the country, had 3 neighbors on our road that fixed up cars. Next door neighbor was a paint rep for rm and now owns a body shop, One guy owned a shop behind his house and built rods from 30's-40's, and another restored a car for each of his kids, a 69 roadrunner, 60's mustang, and a 69 camaro, as well as an old elcamino for himself. I too see an old rusty piece of junk and think of what could be, good thing I am too broke to blow money, but one day I may buy a 69-74 nova I have been wanting since I was a teen.

Old 05-22-2005, 10:09 AM
kenseth17
Elder User
4tl8 say this prayer with me. God grant me the serenity to accept the old trucks I cannot save, the courage to save the ones I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Old 05-23-2005, 08:43 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
Okay, this is turning into a junkaholics meeting, cool. I too am a junkaholic and I've tried the meetings and the 12 step program but I seem to stumble and trip on the second step everytime

AAAAAHHHHH so many trucks, so little time

Old 05-23-2005, 12:14 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by kenseth17
4tl8 say this prayer with me. God grant me the serenity to accept the old trucks I cannot save, the courage to save the ones I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
I know what ya mean Brother, I take it One Truck at a time.

Bobby

I carry a piece of rusted fender (Glued to an old freeze plug) in my pocket. When I get the urge real bad I pull out that plug and compare it to what I'm looking at. If it's worse I walk away, If I'm not sure I send out an emergency page to my Buddies to come and help.

Bob, Jump in here any time. We're trying to help, but you gotta give as much as you recieve.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:00 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Dick,

This is the absolute truth, if I don't get to buy something truck related on a regular basis I get very depressed. I just got a fix a few weeks ago, I went in with another guy and bought a '49 F-2 for parts. It has a pretty nice box which I am going to use for my '49 F-2. And today I won two hoods on eBay. I have to go up to Minnesota to pick them up but while going to do this I will be helping a fellow FTEr, Christopher2, get his his fenders home that he bought on eBay a while back from someone in Pennsylvania with help from Dmptkr. On the way back I am going to pick up a set of rims from 48fordf1. On top of that I might have talked my wife into letting me buy another F-4, I not too worried about her letting me buy it as much as how upset she will get when I do buy it. I know it sounds like I have a sickness but I am sure I can control it, I don't have a problem. I know I don't. I'm doing OK

Boy this is turning into one heck of a fun summer I hope I don't OD so early in the season. If I feel like I'm getting overwhelmed I hope I can count on you guys to help get me down. I'm depending on you, especially you Dick, we've know each other the longest and you tend to encourage us to go the distance. I'm OK, I don't need any help.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Bob,

I like the rusty piece in the pocket idea (I'm going to have to get some of those baggy pants that all the kids are wearing)

I sure like the network you guys have out there for moving parts around. That is really great. I live out west in New Mexico and almost bought some parts from Houston TX but the shipping would have killed me. I just don't have the network resources built up out here to help in parts transportation.

I keep kidding the wife that I know she wouldn't leave me......
....if she did she would have to take half of my stuff

Bobby

Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Bob,

I like the rusty piece in the pocket idea (I'm going to have to get some of those baggy pants that all the kids are wearing)

I sure like the network you guys have out there for moving parts around. That is really great. I live out west in New Mexico and almost bought some parts from Houston TX but the shipping would have killed me. I just don't have the network resources built up out here to help in parts transportation.

I keep kidding the wife that I know she wouldn't leave me......
....if she did she would have to take half of my stuff

Bobby
If you find parts in Houston, let me know. If I can't get them to you right away, I can sure hold them for awhile until I get to NM or you find yourself out this way. BTW - If you are going to be anywhere near central ORegon this summer with an empty trailer, I've got a complete but engineless truck up there that I need to get down here.

Carl G. Peralnd, TX (Houston Suburb)

Old 05-23-2005, 03:14 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Bob
I'm here for ya Buddy, just don't use my name around your wife,

Bobby

The FTE parts relay is kinda new, if you have something to be moved post a message and ask for help before having it shipped. Thats what happened with the above stuff.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:31 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Cool! I'm thinking about buying some tires and wheels in Port Lavaca, TX. Still figuring the details......I'll see how it goes. My work take me half of the way there most of the time.

Texan, I'm not going to make it to Oregon this summer...sorry. I do travel all over New Mexico and some times up to Denver, CO quite a bit and would always be willing to help another truck fan out. Who knows, maybe we can work out some sort of relay system.

Bobby

Old 05-23-2005, 03:38 PM
texan2004
Cargo Master
Bobby,

I travel all over Texas, OK and Southern LA for work. A relay system would be great. Co. has an office near Corpus. Port Lavaca can be made to be on the way.

Old 05-23-2005, 03:45 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Hmmmm. About as far east as I get is theMidland/Odessa area but I could probably stretch that out by an hour or two. There is a fellow FTE'er that has a set of Cragar SS wheels that he took off of his F1 in Port Lavaca.
I'll get some picks of my cab for you and who knows....maybe the truck gods will smile on us and we can make something work out

Quick Reply: How much do you think it will take?