1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

outcast engines in winning trucks $%%^*$@#

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 02:58 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
the monster

Originally Posted by fatfenders
" Is this subject a semi-annual requirement here?

not semi annual.... just after the supernats !!!

I was asking the initial question about one specific truck and it seems it regressed into the ford chevy thing again..... sorry to all for that... since Pat Ford has given his views it's REALLY just opinion now... I'll just to go next year and not venture a peek under the winners hood

later
john

Old 05-24-2005, 07:04 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How's about a poll?

I, for one, don't want to let this die. The fact that it comes up every year means something; it's an issue. Although not everybody on this forum agrees on the subject of Chevy in Ford, I think there's a pretty good trend against it.

Maybe we could set up a poll to ask the question; is Chevy in Ford ok?

I'll admit I've got a clear opinion on the subject, but I'm pretty serious that this is an issue that affects the choices we have in aftermarket parts, etc. If the group has a preference about powerplant support, perhaps we could better inform the suppliers and have them better meet our needs.

Old 05-24-2005, 07:38 PM
Madathlon
Posting Guru
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The way I look at it is, If it said Mod Ford truck of the year it wouldnt matter.. But it does say FORD truck of the year.. I would think it was Ford Body, engine, Tranny, Rearend, and Frame... And than open a class for all the modded ones..

Old 05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
From what I have read on this thread, Ford must be in a Ford, others might be tolerated(slightly) as long as they are not a small block Chevy. Someone(probably more than one of us) stated that the Chevy 350/350 shows a general lack of imagination(I agree). There are tons of powertrain choices out there, this is not just a world of SBC and Ford, there are great Buick engines, phenomenal Pontiac and Olds motors, torque monster Caddys, tons of Mopar choices and numerous exotics.
Maybe people would be happier if the rules of the competition were changed to state that the Ford truck of the year must be all Ford, and that there would be a seperate catagory for "modified" or Custom Ford truck of the year. That Ford truck of the year would be a danged hard award to win because every last nut, bolt, wire, lockwasher, etc, etc, etc, would have to be all Ford.......
A neat Idea but those kind of competitions seems to draw the inevitable pretentious pr**ks................don't believe me? Go to a Corvette show. Those guys have gotten so carried away that they have started putting their cars together to closer specs than the factory could ever dream of and then looking down their noses and berating others who cannot come close to meeting(spending the money) to meet their requirements.

Yea, this thread won't go away....but thats ok, it's fun to toss out the occasional two cents (I think I'm up to about a dime on this one)
This would be a good arguement to have sitting around a garage on a cool summer evening with some other truck nuts while sipping a cold one and swapping lies...

Have fun

Bobby

Old 05-24-2005, 10:34 PM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Well the fat-fender guys have about 20 years of people shoving SBC's into where a Flathead used to be to contend with, but I tell ya, the Slicks, and even the Fridges won't draw flies on ebay with a Chebby motor in them. I doubt if you could give away a 67-72 bumpside with a chev motor.It's the best way to guarantee you wont ever sell the aforementioned, for sure.

I think they should make the award all Ford body/drive line for the Ford truck of the year. But I won't likely live long enough to go to one of those shows anyway, so what the hey.
Whether it has a chrome Ididit column in it, or not,or a Dodge seat, does not make a hill of beans difference to how it runs.

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 05-24-2005 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:24 AM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ringo Fonebone
but I tell ya, the Slicks, and even the Fridges won't draw flies on ebay with a Chebby motor in them. I doubt if you could give away a 67-72 bumpside with a chev motor.It's the best way to guarantee you wont ever sell the aforementioned, for sure.

You've GOT to be kidding me...

I would actually bet MONEY that installing a SBC in an F-100 actually makes the truck more marketable to the general hot rodding comunity... I'm not saying it's RIGHT... it just is.

You guys have to remember where you are at... and who you are talking to.

This is a FORD site dedicated to FORD F-100's... and people who are here talking about FORDS are CRAZY ABOUT FORDS!!!

This site in NO WAY represents the hot rodding community... I mean, IN NO WAY!

Messageboards are MICROCOSMS!!

Try going over to a Chevrolet site... you'll see people just as head over heals about Chevies!

Go to a VW site... they'll want to CONVERT you to love Volkswagons (saying they are the greatest form of transportation ever... duh!)

This FORD show you guys talk about is NOT a microcosm...

People who have all shapes and sizes of F-100's are invited... no?

They don't DISCRIMINATE... they welcome them with open arms... the more the merrier! As it SHOULD be... I mean, is the dude the DEVIL if he puts a SBC in his F-100? Is he an instant A-hole for putting a SBC in his F-100?

Some of you guys amaze me... I mean, you limit friendships and knowledge and pre-judge people by the MOTORS they stick in thier F-100's...

Have you ever seen that Movie where they separated all the brown haired and blonde haired kids? They told the brown hair kids that the blonde haired kids were superior...

It was just a scientific TEST to learn about RACISM... they messed with those poor children... and some were WARPED FOR LIFE...

and I'm thinking some... maybe just a few... grew up, bought F-100 trucks... and then started posting on this site!

Sam.

Old 05-25-2005, 03:31 AM
TheMadFabber
Senior User
I just went on ebay... looked up completed auctions... and the two F-100's that got bid up the highest... one at 26k and one at 28k... had Chevy motors in them...

Blows that statement all to heck, now don't it?

Sam.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:30 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"Ford Truck of the Year" should be just that, anything else should be "Custom Truck of the Year".

Old 05-25-2005, 08:24 AM
xfordman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey 'Fabber........I think the smartest people are the gray headed people. Sorry I could'nt resist.

Old 05-25-2005, 08:27 AM
Ringo Fonebone
Posting Guru
Sam, did they sell?
I have watched about 4- '61-'66 Ford pickups with Chebby guts not get a single bid over the past year. I am guessing the big money one you refer to was a fat fender.
I don't limit my friendships to people who have Fords in Fords and Dodges in Dodges, one of my buddies is building a '34 Ford rod with a SBC. I gave him my old Ford Racing catalog
But that doesn't mean we don't give him the gears
he always was a little twisted

Last edited by Ringo Fonebone; 05-25-2005 at 08:29 AM.
Old 05-25-2005, 08:31 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 48 Ford F4
Wow I guess this thread will go on for a thousand threads! My simple two cents, If Its a FORD show {Largest in the country} It should by a Ford show. Fords a powered by ford engines.

Mark
I've been to all kinds of shows (all Pontiac, all Chevy, all Mopar, etc.) over the years and have yet to see a single one where the engine was limited to a certain make regardless of what kind of vehicle the show was for...

Vern

Old 05-25-2005, 08:47 AM
pcmenten
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I've been to all kinds of shows (all Pontiac, all Chevy, all Mopar, etc.) over the years and have yet to see a single one where the engine was limited to a certain make regardless of what kind of vehicle the show was for...

Vern
Vern, That's fine. If someone wants to put a Studebaker engine in their Ford, bring it on. But when it comes time to judge the best Ford in a Ford show, I say rule 1 is that it has a Ford drivetrain.

Make another category for best custom and include the Yugo/Ford hybrids there.

Old 05-25-2005, 01:43 PM
Jeff55F100
Senior User
I just have to chime in on this discussion.

Why all the commotion. If Pat Ford and crew want to award a "Truck of the Year" award at the show that they sponsor, fantastic! Whether the "Truck of the Year" award is a true blue Ford thru and thru, so-be-it, it's his show!

Many of us love this year truck (53-55 specifically) for many different reasons. I love the shape, the lines, the stance of the trucks. It brings a ton of nostalga to me since it was a truck my Dad owned when I was a kid. But, to have a truck that is reliable, fun to drive, and affordable to work on, I chose what works for me, SBC. Others may have the resources available to work on exotic engines, or strictly Ford engines, but the SBC is what works for me, and others.

Is my truck still a "Ford"? I like to think so.......Dad...not so much.

Just my 2 cents.