New Member Introductions New to FTE? Introduce yourself here!

Newbie... F-150 now, maybe a new Ranger, if...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 08:57 PM
jbau
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie... F-150 now, maybe a new Ranger, if...

Hey all, what a great site! Been lurkin' for a week or two, and have learned alot.

I have a '98 F-150 XL, 4.2L V6 5-speed, 3.55 LSD rear end, which I bought new (my first Ford ever.) It's a work truck, I've only put 42k miles on it, but it has been a flawless performer. I get 18-19 mpg no matter how or where I drive.

However, my needs have evolved somewhat, and I'm toying with the idea of replacing it with a new Ranger. Sad thing is, I can't buy the Ranger I want. Compared to 1998, Ford is making it very hard to configure a truck the way I want it. Too many options with mandatory, often irrelevant upgrades. Examples: Want a limited slip diff for the I4 engine? sorry, gotta get a V6; want a long bed? then gotta get an XLT (stupid!); want a SuperCab? then buy a V6; want an increased payload package? then gotta buy a V6 with AT. Narrowing customer options is a sure-fire way to lose sales, and I sincerely doubt I'm the only person who feels this way.

And... it has me looking somewhere I'd rather not; at a GM product... I've had HORRIBLE experience with GM trucks in the past, but they make it very tempting... except for the long bed, you really can build a Colorado/Canyon truck the way you want.

Methinks the marketing types at Ford need to rethink this strategy of pushing everyone to buy more stuff than they want. We're moving into leaner, more efficient times.

Anyway, that's what I'm up to, and FTE has been a great resource. Thanks to all!

Old 05-10-2005, 09:04 PM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
HEY! Welcome to FTE, the best Ford Truck site on the net. Make sure to read this https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=300691 ...........and then make sure to check out the state chapters. Lots of great folks there waiting to meet you and your ride.

Click the link below my sig to read the Guidelines for the forums. Thanks for joining us and may you have many happy hours of surfing the site and responding to all the posts you can.

You need to check out the Ford vs the Competition forum. Also, there's a thread on here that mentions that FORD does monitor sites like this for suggestions. Maybe if you get your friends together and on this site, we can get a loud enough voice to make Ford listen even more. You aren't the only Ford person who is frustrated with their manufacturing policies.