General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

My Experience With Ford Parts Online - Good Discounts

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2001, 09:08 AM
94van
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My hard-headed local Ford dealer would only give me 10% off on parts, so I tried [a href="http://www.fordpartsonline.com"]Ford Parts Online.[/a] Their web site is still being built, and is very slow. Here are a couple of sample prices for Motorcraft parts, which are pretty much in line with after-market prices:

EGR - List: $127.33 My cost $$74.49
O2 Sensor - List: $ 87.62 My cost $45.41

I ordered late on a Friday afternoon, and parts were shipped the following Tuesday. All done by e-mail, and they were pretty prompt replying. They do have an 800 number. Order was shipped UPS Ground, ($7.00) which took a week, unusually long for coast-to-coast shipment. May be due to aviation delays lately. (ground shipments do go on aircraft)

All in all, I'm pleased with their service, and if you need Motorcraft parts and can wait a few days, this seems to be a good deal.

94 E-150 High Top Conversion Van 4.9/C-6
89 Mustang LX 5.0 - 5 speed

Old 10-03-2001, 10:05 AM
ryanstruck
Elder User

Well, I dunno man. I checked it out, and my jaw dropped when I saw the prices for everything. And not dropped in a good way. I was shocked at the prices. I checked some out that made me laugh they were so expensive. Fist I checked out starters. For an 86 F150-F350, Bronco, they wanted nearly $161.56, said list was $207.13! I paid $40 for my Duralast Starter at Autozone and it has a 999 month warranty for any problems. So far I haven't had any problems at all with it. Why pay the extra $110 for something? Next up was an alternator. The cheapest one, a 70 amp, was $183.05, list price $312.91. I don't know why the 70 amp would be cheaper than the 65 amp, which was $317.29, but it was. Autozone? $30 for the 65 amp Duralast and $40 for the 80 amp Duralast Gold. And both of these come with a 999 month warranty for any problems. Call me crazy, but unless you're building a truck from bone stock, from the ground up, and you want to keep it 100% Ford, why spend that kind of money? If you just want to replace a part, why not do as I do, hit your Autozone or Napa or Pep Boys, or any speed shop, get it for alot cheaper, and in most cases with a long "lifetime" warranty, and you can actually see what you're getting before you buy it, and you can always take it back the same day if it doesn't work.

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
351W, Edelbrock 351 Performer intake
Edelbrock Performer 600cfm 4bbl carb
Edelbrock Pro-Flo air cleaner
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Flowmaster 30 series dual exhaust
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 10:36 AM
94van
Posting Guru

Ryan:

Man, don't shoot the messinger!

Some folks have previously asked where to get discounts on Motorcraft parts, hence my post. Sure, on lots of stuff you can get cheaper at Auto Zone, NAPA or Pep Boys.

As you, I wouldn't pay dealer prices for starters or alternators, or a lot of stuff.

The parts I got may be cheaper at local stores also. For these particular parts I ordered, I wanted Motorcraft, and the price was acceptable to me.

I'm really sorry to disturb you so much with my post, which some folks may me interested in... for that I apologize.

94 E-150 High Top Conversion Van 4.9/C-6
89 Mustang LX 5.0 - 5 speed

Old 10-03-2001, 10:52 AM
ryanstruck
Elder User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-Oct-01 AT 11:55 AM (EST)[/font][p]No no no, you got me all wrong 94van! Hehe, I was just stating how I checked out the site, and almost everything was more expensive, by alot, in somecases 3 times as much, and, GASP, more than 10 times as much on that 65 amp alternator!!!! There were things there that were average price...PCV valves for around 4 or 5 bucks, leaf springs were average prices. I was just saying how unless you want strictly FOMOCO parts on your ride, it doesn't make alot of sense to buy them, as they are typically alot more expensive. I understand there are alot of guys out there who want 100% Ford parts, which I think is great, but for the average car owner who wants to replace that noisy power steering pump or is having problems with their starter going, it makes alot more sense to hit up the Autozone or Napa or Pepboys. Not trying to rain on your parade at all, just letting everyone know that they are on the very expensive side.

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 11:30 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These sites are probably best reserved for those 'dealer only' parts. Ford Parts Network is another such source but the jury is still out on this one due to a VERY delayed core refund check. Caveat emptor

Old 10-03-2001, 12:50 PM
LK
Elder User

I think the choice of between OEM parts and Autozone/NAPA parts really depends on the situation, and in particular how long you're planning to have the vehicle and how much of an inconvenience it'd be if it broke down. Ford parts may cost quite a bit more, but they'll usually last a *lot* longer than what you'll get at Autozone or NAPA (especially Autozone, which seems to be the cheapest). You have to remember that what the parts stores sell are actually rebuilds a lot of the time (starters, alternators, A/C compressors, etc), and incredibly poorly done rebuilds at that...sometimes they'll just slap a new bearing or bushing in it and call it good.

Its true that many of the rebuilt parts come with a warranty, but that doesn't help much when you're stranded at the side of the road. Plus, there is the work involved in taking off the old part, exchanging it, and installing the new one - of course, this depends on what it is, and if you're on a trip and working on it in a parking lot someplace (been there, done that - even less fun in a blizzard).

I think the best solution for anything that can be rebuilt is to do it yourself - while it takes more time, it's a heck of a lot cheaper and the parts last a lot longer. If it's something you can't rebuild, then I guess you make the decision based on the relative prices, the effort involved in changing it, and how long you're planning to keep the vehicle.

LK

Old 10-03-2001, 01:15 PM
ryanstruck
Elder User

Where I can absolutely agree with your points, I myself have purchased several items from Autozone, as well as going to speed shops. For example, my starter went on my truck, and that was a Ford starter. I bought a new one from Autozone (not rebuilt, it was brand new) for $40 or so, installed it in less than 10 minutes, and since then have not had a single problem. It is a Duralast, who makes very good quality parts, not some no name brand that's gone out of business. Even got my 3 wall radiator there for $130 about 5 months ago, since then havn't had any problems at all with that, and that is brand new as well, I asked about it, and it even had a slip with it staing it was not a rebuild or remanufacture, it was brand new. I did buy my carb from Indy Auto Parts, a local speed shop here. Brand new Edelbrock 600cfm 4bbl...I wasn't going to trust that with Autozone, I don't even know if they sell carbs! I am very weary when it comes to buying parts, and I always make sure they are brand new, not a rebuilt/remanufactured part. I absolutely hear all the points about lasting parts, but through all the vehicles i've owned, I find that 99%, the parts from an auto wholesaler like Autozone or Pepboys are just as reliable as Ford factory, and the parts from Autozone usually have a very long warranty, many being 999 months, if that part does break. And I think even if it does break and you have to replace it once or even twice, it's alot better to spend the $40 and do it three times, then to spend the $300 some odd dollars and do it once, (maybe more if it goes, especially after the warranty is up) when it only comes with a short 1 year warranty, especially if the part is easy to replace, such as a starter or an alternator or fuel pump, etc. I think it's great if you're rebuilding a truck from base up, to keep it all Ford OEM, but if you're just in the market to replace a starter or alternator cause the old one crapped out, it's far more economical for us monitarily challenged people (lol) to get the cheaper part with the longer warranty. But as for 94van, I think it's definately wise to get things like FI's or O2 censors from Ford because you know these are exactly the right part, whereas the Autozone part may not have the exact smae specifications. In this case, definately go Ford OEM. My point is just for those things that need replacing and you don't care if it's Ford or Duralast or Conway or whatever. Peace all

1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 02:03 PM
LK
Elder User

> For example, my starter went on my truck, and that was a Ford starter. I bought a new one from Autozone (not rebuilt, it was brand new) for $40 or so, installed it in less than 10 minutes, and since then have not had a single problem. It is a Duralast, who makes very good quality parts, not some no name brand that's gone out of business.

The difficult part when dealing with a place like Autozone is telling whether or not the part is really brand new - I've had them tell me that rebuilt parts were brand new on several occasions. I'm not saying yours wasn't new (I really have no idea), but I glanced at their website (www.autozone.com) and it doesn't show that they sell new Duralast starters - only rebuilds (the one for your truck now lists at $50). However, they do sell brand new Duralast alternators, under the "Duralast Gold" series - maybe they used to sell Duralast Gold starters as well, or maybe they still do and don't list it on the website. Like I said, I have no idea - I haven't bought a starter for a gas-engine truck in a long time (at least 5 years, maybe closer to 10). The last starter I bought was for my diesel, and I ended up with an Autozone rebuild because they didn't have a new one (and an OEM diesel starter is insanely high-priced). It lasted me about a year, and now is starting to act up - I'm planning to rebuild it myself when I get the chance. Replacing a starter on a diesel is more annoying than it is on a gas-engine truck, mainly because the thing weighs like 8 million pounds.

Anyway, I'm just saying that it pays to be careful - because sometimes the folks behind the counter at the auto parts stores really aren't that familiar with their products.

LK

Old 10-03-2001, 02:29 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 67 went through 3 "Duralast" alternators from Autozone within a 6 week period before I decided they were "Duracrap" and bought a Motorcraft. The Motorcraft has lasted 4 years. Time is money and I don't have the time, money, nor patience to replace a junk part several times. I've had similar bad experiences with Autozone batteries, starters, etc. My truck now has only Motorcraft parts and a Diehard battery.

You generally get what you pay for. Save a little now buying inferior parts or a lot in the long run paying for the good stuff.

Ken Payne
[img src="/dcforum/User_files/webmaster/usaflag.gif" valign=top align=left] Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 10-03-2001, 02:38 PM
ryanstruck
Elder User

I couldn't agree more with ya. The starter on a gas engine is pretty heavy, to, but whatever, just a little elbow grease involved When I first got the starter it came right out of the box, all sealed up with the Duralast Gold emblem not touched. The body of the starter looked brand new, not a single scratch, no paint either, just a new looking metal casing, shaft and gear looked new. So I am assuming it was brand new. I would think a used one would have a casing that is either repainted or at least a little scratched. It's entirely possible it was rebuilt, but like I said, right out of a sealed box with Duralst Gold sticker untouched, everything looked new about it. I can totally agree that some parts should be more looked into than others, and in some instances, like fuel injectors, should be Ford factory to assure fit and quality. But on the other hand, I can't justify in my mind $310 for a 70 amp alternator when I can get an 80 amp Duralast brand new for $40 or $50 or even $100 if it was that much, especially with a warranty of 999 months, assuring that if it ever breaks or something ever goes wrong I can have it replaced for another brand new one. But I don't anticipate that. I have found Duralast to be a dependable product. Not that Ford OEM parts aren't, I'm sure they're dependable 1000 fold, but at least for me they are just way too expensive. I do think if I had the cash and was building a truck from scratch, or even just rebuilding my truck up again, I might want all Ford parts, but then again, that kinda limits you if you want aftermarket performance mods like maybe a Demon Carb or an Edelbrock aluminum Performer RPM intake, or dual Flowmaster exhaust. Doesn't all that kinda defeat the purpose of an "all Ford OEM truck"? I dunno. I guess I'm just too dang cheap and stuck in my ways!! Lol, have a good one guys, talk to you latr.

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 03:14 PM
ryanstruck
Elder User

Ken, you do bring up a good point about time=money. My only argument, which I'm not trying to argue but rather state a matter of fact, is that I bought a while back a Duralast starter for roughly $40, installed it in literally 10 minutes (after bending around my custom header pipes which happened to run right under it!) and haven't touched it since, and I have perfect startup every time. As with any product, people will have diferent experiences and different views/comments. When I buy a battery I go Diehard all the way. Belts and hoses are always bought from Ford. New body panels: straight from Ford...forget those ones they sell in JC Whitney...the lines match up, but most of the holes don't and you have to drill them out yourself, and they don't last nearly as long (had plenty of experience with this, lol). I am simply saying I havn't had a problem at all with my Duralast starter, and it comes with that 999 month warranty to back it up which I haven't had to use. Other people may have horrible problems with them. I think that it's kinda like a new car or truck. You may never have a problem with it, best investment you've ever made, or, as we've all heard from some people in these forums, they've had problems from day one. I'm in no means bashing Ford parts, I think they are great, I've bought a few before and never had a problem, but then again, I've bought products from Duralast, Conway, Mr. Gasket, etc., that have been just as reliable. And i'm out....

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 03:15 PM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm not against putting an Edelbrock intake on the truck, nor a Holley carb. But when it comes to moving parts or electrical, I'm very careful... the last time a Duralast went out on me was in a Post Office parking lot. I didn't have the cell phone with me and there was no pay phone. I had to walk a couple of miles (not fun during a 100 degree / 90 percent humidity Georgia day) to get another one and lay on my back in the parking lot under a very hot truck. The post office wasn't happy, I wasn't happy, I ruined a good t-shirt with grease and burnt myself on the exhaust pipe.

My experience with auto parts stores:

Autozone - cheapest, low quality but good people work there. What they don't have in knowledge they try to make up for with friendly service. Never had a problem returning a product but I've had to experience returning products far too often.

Pep Boys - not as cheap, better quality but they NEVER have enough people working there. Checking out is a long pain, and getting help is even worse.

Advance - Both in the area went out of business. Not surprised based on the utter lack of knowledge exhibited by the counter help.

NAPA - more expensive than all the others. Generally the best aftermarket parts (great WIX oil filters too!) and very knowledgable people. Seems to be less employee turnover and many have a machine shop on site. For the most part, idiots don't work in machine shops.

If I need non-Ford, I buy from NAPA or from the Kennerly store down the street. The Kennerly's have been in business in the same location since 1923!!! Very knowledgable, the lady behind the counter puts me to shame with what she knows (she's worked the counter for 20+ years), lots of parts for older vehicles (she told me she's even got a basement full of 1930-50 parts still in the boxes!) and I've NEVER had to return a part.

Ken Payne
[img src="/dcforum/User_files/webmaster/usaflag.gif" valign=top align=left] Ford Truck Enthusiasts Admin

Old 10-03-2001, 03:41 PM
niteowl7
Senior User

Since this is a "General Discussion" I thought I'd put in my $0.02. Seeing the "time=money" from Ken...reminds me of a joke.

We all know that dating a woman means spending money for movies dinners motel rooms etc therefore we can summise that:
Women = money
If money is the root of all evil then
Money = Evil
Therefore it is a direct correlation that"
Women = Evil
but I'm not bitter......just a joke...I love my wife dearly.

Old 10-03-2001, 03:44 PM
ryanstruck
Elder User

I do agree that Autozone has the cheapest parts, but I think they are cheapest in cost, not quality. In some cases this may be true, but they carry all the name brands; Edelbrock, K&N, Grant, Champion, Cherrybomb to name a few. I as well had to replace my starter on the road, the Ford factory one went at 80,000 miles (not too bad at all for a starter, I think) in the Autozone parking lot! I bought the Duralast, slapped it right on in the Autozone parking lot with a few employees watching me do it. I think they were kind of in awe that people actually will work on their trucks right in a lot. They were nice, friendly people, but you're absolutely right, they knew jack. I asked for one of the guys to hand me a breaker bar to pull back a bit on the headers, he just kinda stared dumbfoundedly at me. I didn't want to even think about asking for the socket wrech to actually do the work! But they are good people there, just lost.

Never had any real experience with NAPA other than replacement bulbs and lubricants.

Pep Boys is a good store, I've purchased all my Gabriel gas charged shocks through them, they were a bit more expensive than Autozone, and there were far too few people, and I found that the people there were quite rude to say the least, trying to push everyone right out the door.

That's cool that you have a long standing place right down the street from you. Those are the best places, friendly faces who know their stuff. Parts are a bit more expensive, but they usually back them up with their store warranty. We had one of those the town over from us...F&R Auto. The've been there for probably close to 50 years. But just in the last few months they changed ownership to Springfield Auto. So I'll have to see how they compare to the old guys.

Like I said, Ford parts are excellent. Great quality, long lasting, etc. I buy Ford belts, hoses, and if I ever need them, lifters, flywheel, the important stuff will be Ford parts.

Ryan
1986 F-250 HD 4x4
4.10 gears, C6 trany
Extreme 4x4 camshaft
Custom headers
3" Warn body lift

Old 10-03-2001, 06:37 PM
logan_85
Senior User

My thoughts:

There are 5 "parts stores" I have recently ben in.

The first and probbably the best(as much as I hate to admit this after the arival of my `Bird) was the Ford Dealer. I did stop by there a little too often(my pick-up had mileage problems), parts were sent in fast, and the guy working behind the counter normally fixed the problem on the first try.

The second was the local Co-op. Good for Tire and Oil changes only. My pick-up stopped starting(fired starter and a bad battery). Guy comes down(after about 1hr from a distance of 1 mile away) and then starts the cleaning the freshly cleaned posts. Tries jumping the solenoid, NOTHING, "While, solenoid is probbably bad". New solenoid, while it looks like your starter is bad. New starter, by this time Co-op is gone and I'm alone working on this. I get the starter on, start connecting batteries and notice the starter is cranking. I figure the Mechaninc across the street knows more about solenoid wireing than I do, so he helps wire the soleniod, everything works great for about 6 days. I finally discover that one of the batteris Co-op tested as good was bad. Days later and 3 "sure will tow it down here", it is finally towed to Co-op. Later that day I hear "we couldn't get the starter to stop cranking, have to order a new one." Oh *****, at least I don't think I've ben billed for the replacement. Finally Co-op asks, "why did you change that Solenoid wireing?", I could barely keep from saying "because you didn't have it wired right."

On to #3. NAPA. That dead battery tested at Co-op was under waranty at NAPA, so I took them both over to get tested. One was taken in for replacement, guy who tested says "put it down over there", then walks behind the counter and waits for a few seconds untill the phone starts to ring. Next guy walks out and then after explaining my problem he gives me a battery, I ask where I can take the old battery to get charged and he just says "while do you expect us to do about it?", re-prhase my question a few more times before finding out that all Co-ops should be able to charge batteries. I didn't like their service, don't know about their parts.

#4 local Auto-Zone(AKA by all locals: "Wartmans"). Old guy owns and operates, good quality form all his prats. Very noligable. Fast service. Good price/quality. My current favorite(unless Ford starts stocking GM parts).

#5. I though this would be my favorite, and might still have a chance at being my favorite, local GM dealer. Ben in once, real late in the day. Guy standing around reading a comic book(prefect worker hu?), about 15 minutes later and a numerous "what was that again?" I finally leave with a $10 power window switch.

Just my $.02

Logan