6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Road Test

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 03:11 AM
wesran
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Test

Well the time has come to put the 04 F250 6.0 cc PSD w/TT to a test, will be taking a trip from home(Breaux Bridge, La.) to Yellowstone then on to the Snake River in northeast Oregon then back down through Utah to Pagosa Springs, Colo. then down through New Mexico and across TEXAS and home. Should be about a 5000 mile trip so. I have had a couple problems with my truck: FICM replaced at 364 miles and the wiring harness replaced due to chaffing on #6 injector at 5800 miles other than that has been a pleasure to own. I have pulled a small TT with a 97 F150 to Ouray, Colo. and back so do have a little moutain training but hope it will be a lot better with the F250 PSD. Would like any advice any one has and espesially on diesel prices and places to purchase. Changed fuel filters , changed filter and oil and added Stanadyne for the first time(12000 miles) the truck seems to run quieter, might just be my imagination. Thoughts and advice accepted.
wesran

Old 05-10-2005, 04:47 AM
captchas
i wish you a very safe trip. thats all wonderfull veiwing area. just for safty take along a spare fuel filter as you never know about the fuel you can get.
drive safe have a good time

Old 05-10-2005, 10:11 AM
jackofalltrades
Posting Guru
Any trailer the half ton could tow on a trip like that probably won't even make the 6.0 break a sweat. You'll experience an incredible difference in your new truck. If you've got a CB in the cab, the truckers will let you know where the next fuel stop is. Your first tank or two should let you know your towing/cruising range per tank.

Drive safe.

Old 05-10-2005, 01:31 PM
sanpanchosue
Senior User
Originally Posted by wesran
Would like any advice any one has and especially on diesel prices and places to purchase.
First chance you get, stop in at a Flying J Truck Stop. I like to use them when I travel. The fuel is fresh, they have islands dedicated to RV'ers and you can stay overnight in RV designated areas.

Make sure you pick up one of their pamphlets that gives you the location of their outlets. When travelling in Oregon remember that the roadsign prices are about 24 cents below the pump price. (It's just the way they do it there).

Loves Trucks Stops are also RV Friendly and T/A Travel Centres.

Old 05-10-2005, 02:13 PM
tvsjr
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'll agree on the Flying J. They also have a loyalty card which is good for a cent per gallon discount (hey, every little bit helps). They're usually clean and rather large, good for RVs. They have their locations and current prices available on their web site. I've never had a problem with their fuel - it's always been very fresh.

Take plenty of Stanadyne... I use it in every tank and see a fuel mileage improvement of about 1MPG (pays for itself) along with a bit quieter running. Good insurance for your injectors, too.

Like Charlie's already suggested, carry a spare set of fuel filters (you've got two), just in case.

Old 06-19-2005, 05:21 AM
wesran
Senior User
Well made the trip 5908 miles on 528 gallons of fuel. Had no major problems other than the enviroment. Had one day of high winds of gusts to 45mph between Laramie and Rawlins Wy. that I only got about 6 mpg and then a head wind of about 30 mph from Amarillo, Tx to Ft Worth when I made about 7.5 mpg. never did get a good tail wind. Fuel costs varied from $1.999 in Amarillo going($2.199 coming back) to $2.549 in Yellowstone Park. Highest average prices were in Utah. Overall a good trip and seen a lot of country and things I had never seen. PS did use stanadyne in ever tank but have nothing to compare it to, did seem to run quieter.
wesran

Old 06-19-2005, 08:23 AM
captchas
very glad you had a good safe time. wonderfull area is it not? yellowstone area i could drop a anchor with out any problem.