4.2L with odd idle and rough starts

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 11:47 PM
nodnarb22
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.2L with odd idle and rough starts

Okay i have a 4.2l in my ford f150 it has 70k miles on it. recently did an oil change havent replaced the plugs or wires since i got it or anything along that line. When i start the truck up (cold normaly) sometimes it acts as though it doesnt want to start. a comparison to it would be a manual transmission dying out if you dont keep the rpms up. and seeing that this is an automatic truck i dont know why its doing this. it will also shudder when it idles for 5-10 minutes. not nearly as bad as it will at start up at times. I saw the"bad loss of power" topic and this doesnt really describe my problem as i have plenty of power above 2000 rpms its just idleing thats the problem SOMETIMES. Someone made a mention to me about checking the vacume lines. i have yet to have time to do this, but i was wondering what else do/should i check while im at it. i know im nearing the mileage that certain things need to be replaced. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what year is your truck? if it's a 97 or early 98, then you might have some failing gaskets.

there's quite a few things you can look for that would also cause this problem, fuel injectors, fuel filter, coil pack, fuel pump, fuel pump relay.

i'd start off with the cheapest things, and move up from there. At 70k they could stand replacement =)

let us know

Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 AM
nodnarb22
New User
wow of all things for me not to mention its a 98 also tryed some of that fuel injector cleaner and it seems to have done little to help

Old 05-10-2005, 11:21 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
The 97's and early 98's have intake gasket issues, where the gaskets fail and coolant gets into the intake and hydrolocks your motor.

unfortunately, it's INEVITEABLE. I recommend you change your gaskets IMMEDIATELY to prevent you needing a new motor. Another new user just posted this same thing. There are TONS of info. on this here in the forum, just search "hydrock"

Also check out www.leakingfords.com

here's the other thread
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=373616

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you should take care of this before it's too late and unrepairable.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:06 PM
nodnarb22
New User
well i spoke with an uncle of mine and for some rason he doesnt think its the gaskets. and says that he has actualy heard of verry few problems with those on these motors. SO ima pass on that for now i will add coolant to the truck and watch it VERRY closely. he is assuming its either the iac or egr sticking...seeing as he is a certified mechanic with quite a few years in the field and used car field he may be right i dunno..you guys have me worried and concernd about these gaskets though.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:44 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
uh....

This is a problem that Ford actually knows about, and issued a TSB (techical service bulletin) about. I don't doubt your uncle's ability and knowledge, but this is something that is factual.

The www.leakingfords.com link no longer works. But you can find the info, and link to the TSB here:

http://www.flamingfords.info/

I really hope you address this issue soon to avoid a costly engine rebuild/replacement.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
nodnarb22
New User
i know, im gona monitor this issue and let it sit till he comes down a week from today and we'll look into it further. trust me i wonder the same thing as to how he hasnt seen this issue yet.

Old 05-11-2005, 12:48 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
where's everyone else? I know you are a new user nodnarb, there are a handful of guys in here who know much about this situation.

The moderator of this forum, BrianA, actually went through this recently.

Good luck with your situation, hope you stick around the forum. There's a lot of info here!

Old 05-11-2005, 07:33 AM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry guys, I am WAAYYY busy at work right now.
Matter of fact, I'll be away from my computer Thurs - Sun.

I'd cahnge plugs and wires before getting too concerned over anything else.

Being a '98 doesn't destine to early gasket probs. The gasket issue was addressed by Ford during the '98 build dates.

I have had personal experience with plugs/wires and a gasket prob.

What you describe sounds just like plugs/wires. And, 70,000 miles is right about when problems will crop up.

Depends on who youask, but seemes the concensus is Motorcraft plugs and wires are a sure bet.

I have put Motorcraft wires on twice (65,000 and 155,000 miles). I went with Autolite copper plugs this itme and they work just fine - just won't last as long.

Give it a go and let us know!

Old 05-11-2005, 09:37 AM
nodnarb22
New User
Yeah, plugs and wires are in the works to be replaced regardless of what anyone tells me. and thatll help me get an idea of whats going on in the engine.lean condtion ect. i bought bosch plugs to then read on hre that their not reccommended so ill be taking those back shortly and getting the reccomended plugs. the manufacture date on this truck is in 97 im not sure of the month i forgot it and cant go look at the truck right now. I HOPE i dont have to worry about gaskets yet but if its something that me and him can do in a day or so i may just go a head and replace them. why not its preventitive and a learning experience for me. and you guys reccomend the oem wires over others? interesting

Old 05-11-2005, 10:38 AM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
i totally forgot about plugs and wires, and i have plug/wire issues right now!!

yes, motorcraft is recommended. TYPICALLY stick with OEM ignition products for many vehicles.

i've been told OEM is fine for race vehicles pushing 400+ hp, they work perfect for your truck!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Poppin' in one time before I hit the road Thurs AM.
If your unc is a mechanic, I'd bet you guys could do it.
However, be aware, I believe it is both the lower intake manifold gaskets AND the timing chain cover gasket.
AFAIK, head gaskets are not an issue.
I have heard of very few probs with MAF, IAC, etc.
A smattering of odds and ends here and there, but I'd agree with you uncle - overall pretty darned reliable motors.
My lower intake gaskets leaked at about 155,000 miles. That's the only engine problem I have ever had.
Here's the thread on my problem:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...d.php?t=340552

OBTW, as mentioned above, Glad you are here!
Hope you stick around.

Thanks!

Old 05-12-2005, 09:47 AM
nodnarb22
New User
yea, and seeing as i got this truck used and having no knowledge of prior maitenance or lack there. itll take some guessing and looking around to figure this out at first. IF the plug and wires dont do it which im fixing to do here shortly once the truck cools down

Old 05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
nodnarb22
New User
Okay, A little update. I changed the plugs and wires and that seemed to had made a difference for a while. my uncle came down and brought down a scanner with him that we hooked up and checked everything on my truck with and no codes came out or anything suspicious. I described to him the problem i was having and then he told me what it would do if it was the iac. start at a low idle and not at a high idle like normal and would cause it to hesitate bc the iac was holding the throttle closed.. well thats what it proceded to do RIGHT after he left. so im fixing to go get a new iac bc id rather fix it than clean it and have it act up later. ive also ben watching my coolant level since i last posted and its sitting still if its dropping its doing it in such a small amount i cant notice it... well thanks guys for the other ideas to look for and ill keep an eye on my coolant. and i plan on hanging around on this site some more. ill let you know weither the new i ac controller does any good and so on.

Old 05-23-2005, 07:14 PM
rmanTX
Laughing Gas
good to hear you are getting to the bottom of this, at any rate. keep us posted!

Quick Reply: 4.2L with odd idle and rough starts