Ontario Chapter Join Chapter>, Leader: loudfords

Ontario Rules About Snowmobiles (and more info needed)

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:48 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ontario Rules About Snowmobiles (and more info needed)

I know people here do snowmobiling (at least Alex does) and I need some info.

I am possibly looking at trading my truck for some cash and a snow mobile. But, I need to know the rules and regulations (if any) for Ontario snowmobilers. I would mostly be going on my dad's private property but you never know. So, I need to know anything about the laws.

Also, the snow mobiles I am looking at are both 1979 Kawasakis. One is a 340 Invader liquid cooled and the other is a 440 Intruder air cooled. Can anyone tell me anything about these? He is selling both of them for $1300 but I only need one so I am trying to negotiate on one for now.

What do I need to look for? He says they are in excellent shape but they are from 1979 so we shall see. I haven't seen them up close (only digital pics).

Thanks!

-Matt

Old 05-08-2005, 09:27 PM
Eff One Fifty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beast12
I know people here do snowmobiling (at least Alex does) and I need some info.

I am possibly looking at trading my truck for some cash and a snow mobile. But, I need to know the rules and regulations (if any) for Ontario snowmobilers. I would mostly be going on my dad's private property but you never know. So, I need to know anything about the laws.

Also, the snow mobiles I am looking at are both 1979 Kawasakis. One is a 340 Invader liquid cooled and the other is a 440 Intruder air cooled. Can anyone tell me anything about these? He is selling both of them for $1300 but I only need one so I am trying to negotiate on one for now.

What do I need to look for? He says they are in excellent shape but they are from 1979 so we shall see. I haven't seen them up close (only digital pics).

Thanks!

-Matt
Hi Matt: Do a search on the government of Ontario e-laws website for the motorized snow vehicles act. You will find all there is to know as far as the law in concerned.

As far as those sleds go, they may be in excellent shape but I might recommend you find something a little more mainstream. Kawasaki's were only o.k. back in the day. Today, if an engine should fail, or even if you need some common wearables, everything is almost impossible to source for them. It would be just a big pain in the "you-know-what". The way the sled market is today, you can get something fairly o.k., ( from the '90's ?) for pretty well the same money. By getting something a little newer, you might get a little better sled experience. If they break (sleds WILL break) you would be able to fix them relatively easily. If you have any questions, P.M. me... I am the Service Manager at a Yamaha Dealership.

Gary

Old 05-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Beast12
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, true. I am actually having second thoughts on getting one anyways. The only time I could use it is when there is a lot of snow. But, what am I doing then? Oh yeah, SNOW PLOWING!

Thanks for the info.

-Matt

P.S. When replying directly to a post above yours, you don't need to hit the quote button. Preferably just hit REPLY and then reply. If you use the quote button all the time when not needed it is just extra bandwidth that gets wasted. Just a heads up.

Old 05-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Quadiquizm
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Matt -

If ridding on personal private property, you do not need to have the sled licensed or insured.
As soon as you take it off your own property - you must have it licensed and insured.
If you go trail ridding, you must have a trail permit.

Kawasaki sleds were highly advanced at the time - but things were mis-managed with them and hence their demise.

Parts can be sourced - there is a place in the US that specializes in them, plus there is eBay and various sled wreckers.

If looking at a sled, look at the track for wear, check the suspension, look at the belly pan for damage, check the clutches and belt, listen to the engine, look for leaks and look at the general overall condition of the sled.

For fun - check out www.VintageSnowmobile.info - my little site!