1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Electric Fuel pump trubles

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2000, 07:38 PM
Katt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone. My truck has been kinda hard to start(takes a few seconds of cranking) lately. I think that I have got it down to the fuel system. The pump makes a funny noise, can't really describe it. What are the signs of a pump failure. I have dual tanks, but the noise occurs on both tanks, so Im sure its the pressure pump. The regulator was checked just a few months ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I hate having to hold the key down for 8 seconds before its fires!
Thanks

Old 05-21-2000, 10:53 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Katt ,
Ive heard those fuel pumps make some very odd noises esp when the weather warms up . Mine sounds like its going to fly apart in the summer and hums along fine in winter . Usually when a fuel pump is dying the fuel pressure is slow to build ( Assuming the filter is Ok ) You can verify this after the engine has not been run for several hrs or it has sat overnight . Connect a pressure gauge to the Shrader Valve , turn the key on and watch how fast the pressure builds . The pressure should build rapidly . If it is slow to build its possible the pump is worn and will fail at some point . Its not unusual for start times to be longer in warmer weather due to the leaner mixtures of newer engines and hot soak times . Old spark plugs , carbon buildup on the pistons , batteries not delivery their best , ignition timing off all contribute to longer start times . Always look at the big picture before you condem one part .
Paul

Old 05-22-2000, 06:32 AM
Katt
Senior User

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 22-May-00 AT 07:33 AM (EST)[/font][p]Yeah, mine sounds like it's going to fly apart too. Just started this summer though. I'll have to find a pressure gauge and test that. The filters not even a year old, but Im going to replace that anyway. I guess im just paranoid, when Im used to the truck firing up after just a tap of the key, then it takes longer I get worried.
Thanks for the help!

Old 05-22-2000, 08:54 AM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Katt ,
Is it hard to start both hot and cold ? Also have a look at the sensors that provide enrichment info to the computer ...IE: Coolant , Air Charge Temperature Sensors . Depending on the coolant and air temps , these sensors have different resistance values .
Paul

Old 05-22-2000, 09:20 PM
Katt
Senior User

It seems to be hardest to start when warm, and after sitting for at least a half hour. I checked the plugs, not bad, but could be cleaned. I'll clean the plugs, put new wires on, new fuel filter. If it still acts up I'll be lost. The o2 sensor is only about 10,000 miles old. Im thinking maybe ignition module, but I hope not.
Thanks for all the help, and any more is appreciated!

Old 05-22-2000, 10:35 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Katt ,
Before you replace anything , Including plug wires or TFI Module ...do some tests like I suggested in the earlier posts . If its mostly a warm hard starts , you may have an injector(s) leaking ...raw fuel is hard to ignite . Start with the fuel pressure , post back with the results . It makes no sense to replace parts unless they are faulty . It only leads to more confusion of the problem and you spent money for nothing .
Paul

Old 05-23-2000, 09:00 AM
Katt
Senior User

I was kinda wondering if it might be an injector leaking. Im still trying to find a feul pressure gauge to use, I guess I'll have to break down and buy one. How long and at what psi should the fuel pressure be?
Thanks

Old 05-31-2000, 04:27 AM
TallPaul
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 05-31-2000, 11:29 AM
Katt
Senior User

Okay, I can't afford a $50 fuel pressure gauge yet, but I have noticed that all fuel pressure is gone after about 2hrs of sitting. Is that normal, or a little fast? I pulled all the plugs to clean and regap, #8 was the only one that looked fouled, and it was not really bad either. How can I tell if I do have a leaking injector, and how can I pinpoint which on it is. Also, can they be fixed or do I have to replace it?
Thanks for all the help! We'll get it eventually.

Old 05-31-2000, 09:46 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Katt ,
Id say a 2hr leak down is about average .Thats why the pump energizes and brings the fuel pressure back to normal when you turn the key on .If you noticed a spark plug that is fouled and its the only one fouled , Id suspect that injector of either leaking or its spray pattern is being altered by carbon / dirt . Also make sure that plug wire is ok . If the injector is leaking , the drops will not ignite , it has to be a mist . Injectors can be removed and bench tested for leaks .
Paul

Old 05-31-2000, 09:55 PM
PAUL_2
Postmaster

Katt ,
I forgot to add the last part of your question ...Injectors cannot be repaired . If they are defective or leaking , the only solution is to replace them . Prices vary on where you buy them . The Ford ones , depending on whether they are DRI injectors or not , will be in the $100 range each . Aftermarket ones will be in the $50 to $80 range . Just make sure it needs to be trashed before you buy a new one .
Paul