Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

GM Tops dependability list

Old 04-29-2005, 04:37 PM
DMAX-HD
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GM Tops dependability list

According to JD Powers and associates the GM HD was voted the most dependable HD in its class for 2004. Couldn't find it any plave on the web but was on the back of my May 2005 issue of Outdoor Life. So I guess GM is doing something right. Be interesting to see what happens when inport HD's start hitting the market.

They still need a new chasis for that rig in my opinion.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:10 PM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In that case what is Ford doing wrong?

Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
I can't say about the accuracy of this survey but I participate in the JD Powers surveys and I have found the questions are less than objective. I thought the results were accurate until I became a participant. I now trust the results the same as I trust Consumer Reports.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:34 PM
BrentKasson
Senior User
Well, considering the source I recall seeing a JD Powers sticker on the T-Mobile store ranking it #1 in customer satisfatcion. I have a cell phone with T-Mobile service and its not that great, so they could be full of it here too.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:53 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
So I take it Consumer Reports doesn't count either then?

Old 04-29-2005, 06:22 PM
MofW
Mountain Pass
T-Mobile may be number 1. ALL cell phones are junk, so T-Mobile might be the least junky.

Old 04-29-2005, 06:55 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by polarbear
So I take it Consumer Reports doesn't count either then?
I trust them as much as I trusted Richard Nixon.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:51 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
OK no politicks and maybe no phone conversations…

Old 04-30-2005, 12:51 AM
FERacing66
Posting Guru
Well the 6.0L PSD is definly what brought down the Ford. So many breakdown and failiures, maybe when they get the bugs worked out they will be at the top of the list again. Should of stuck with the 7.3L

Old 04-30-2005, 03:13 AM
tmyers
Posting Guru
Any type of survey that relies on owner feedback for its data points it will always be the negative rather than the positive that gets more weight. This is just human nature. When things are going well people tend not to critisize little flaws. But one big flaw means everything is bad.

Just like my daughter who owns a 2000 Focus. This car has had only one problem in the last 5 years and that was the tumbler assembly failure. But to here her take about it, tis the worst car ever made. So in 5 years and almost 100k it as let her down 1 morning. Thats pretty good in my book and I have never had a car from any manufacture that has done any better.

This does not mean that data like this is not useful or accurate it just means its always worse than reality. For good, accurate and objective long term reviews I like Motor Trend. Problem is they can't drive every vehicle out there. But they do report every problem and what it takes to correct it.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:32 AM
j41385a
Senior User
I would have to say I personally don't like electronics. That is not to infer that I don't think that electronics are not or can not become more reliable. But I understand what goes on under my 1972 f100's hood. You can't get much more basic than that. Alas, What I like or understand has no bearing on the way technology and vehicles evolve.

Be that as it may, I do infact have other newer vehicles and those happen to be Ford. This is unavoidable. As such I have had no problems with my 99 Taurus.

This leads me to wonder how this conclusion was drawn. I am sure they had a good sound basis on which to draw such a profound conclusion.

What exactly did they say was more reliable? Electronics or Mechanical? I am not going to argue about this, I just ask to satisfy my own curiosity.

Best Regards,

j41385a

Old 04-30-2005, 10:41 AM
lllateralus
Senior User
Not that I dont trust JD power, or consumer reports, (considering the reports are from... CONSUMERS) but, GM the most dependable?
That is an absolute joke.

Why are there NO older S10 'baha' (wannabe) trucks out there on the road today, yet there are colts and colts of old/older/not so old/new ranger owners out there?
I know why!! Because chevy trucks crack frames and motors mounts when abused off road.

GM's trucks are notorious for door handles falling off, door panels falling off ect.
I just cant believe they were ranked the most dependable.

Last edited by lllateralus; 04-30-2005 at 10:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2005, 11:49 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Maybe there is a reason that the results of the JD Powers and Consumer Reports seem inaccurate to many of us. I think you will find that the typical reader and participants to these reports tend to be more affluent, more urban, buy new items more frequently than a typical consumer and use trucks more as daily transportation than for work. They don't keep a truck long enough or use it hard enough to ever know how dependable it reallly is. Owners who really test the strength and durability of trucks are not the typical readers of these surveys (farmers, construction workers, contractors, etc).

Old 04-30-2005, 01:15 PM
polarbear
Post Fiend
I personally think the reason no one can believe GM is building the most reliable vehicle is because of the horrific quality they turned out 10-15 year ago. Thing is, those cars and, to a lesser extent, trucks are not representative of what's been going into customer hands in the last 5-7 years. I can think of a few other reasons as well:

1. Chevy sells more 1/2T pickups as a % of the model mix than Ford, and those trucks aren't used as hard. Look at the boards here though- more of the Ford issues come from the F150 than the SD.
2. Ford sells more diesels- and the 6.0 PSD hasn't exactly been without issues, especially in the last three years, which is the timeframe of these surveys.
3. Throw in the '03 Expy, which was another model with it's share of teething problems, and you have three high-volume products with a high rate of customer complaints. Granted, mostly small stuff, but the ratings are based on problems/1000 vehicles.

Sooo...not only isn't it hard for me to believe, I see it first hand. On the positive side, I also think this will change by '07 when some of those problem years fall off the map.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:48 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Youve also got to realize too that GM is able to divide their trucks into Chevy and GMC whereas all of Ford's are lumped in the F-150 name.
So, GM would need to have twice as many problems as Ford for Ford to only BREAK EVEN.
I personally could care less what JD Power or anything else thinks. All you have to do is do a side by side comparison of the GM HD and the Ford SD to see that the Ford is built a lot stronger than than the GM.
Octane

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GM Tops dependability list